Woodstock versus Hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terry kohlman

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
WI
I'm making progress in deciding on replacing our Vermont Casting with a soapstone. Got lots of nice comments from you on Woodstock's stoves. Anybody know anything about HearthStone's soapstone stoves...the Heritage model? A couple differences from Woodstock's stoves are Hearthstone's Heritage has a permanent non-catalytic combustion system which is a series of tubes which recirculate the gases. Thus no cat replacement. It has both a side and a front door. But it is not double soapstone walled like Woodstock's although the weight is about the same. And it's about $800 more than Woodstock's and I don't know if it's worth that. Maybe some of that is because it's sold thru local retailers whereas Woodstock sells direct.

It's between these two.

And to burn a Hearthstone right I've been told you need to fill them up and let 'em rip. Not so with a Woodstock and that can mean a lot during this time of the year. I do like the looks of the Hearthstone stoves and we considered them a lot before we bought the Woodstock stove. I've since heard of a few problems that I would not care to deal with. One final though: consider the guarantee of both types.

I did a lot of research on both before I made my purchase. All things being equal (which I don't think they are), the price alone would move me to the cheaper stove. I do like the looks of the Hearthstones, more a a classic look. However, my choice was the right one for me. Thanks to all who helped me a year ago. See my signature line to see which one I chose! EDIT... Oh, an informal count of wood I've been burning shows that I'm using about half of what I did with the old VC stove. That's huge for me.

I don't own either stove, but if I was buying I would go with Woodstock. After reading so many posts I've come to the conclusion that cat stoves have real merit. Lower secondary burn temps not only offer more control over heat output and wood use, but I would think they also must help lengthen the useful lifespan of the stove. Granted, the combustor needs to be occasionally cleaned and perhaps replaced, but other stoves eventually need replacement of baffles and gaskets and firebrick and warped and worn components, too.

There really is no extra effort in getting the stove to temp and engaging the cat - you need to adjust the air on other stoves, so what's the diff? No stove lets you light a match and walk away. My initial research steered me away from cat stoves, but the more I learn the more they make sense to me.

The first stove I seriously wanted was the Heritage in Blue. I don't remember the exact price but it was definitely over $3k, Fairfield County Connecticut. I remember the salesman didn't really give me the time of day but photocopied their brochure for me. I still wanted that stove and began planning right away. I read about cats on another website and based on their reviews, didn't want a cat stove. I then ran into woodstock on the web and really liked their stoves. I searched the web and after reading many many excellent reviews considered Woodstock even though it is a cat stove. That search brought me to this site and I discovered Blaze King. Friggin ugly stove. Working in the automotive field I was against cat combusters. My feeling was great, another thing to go bad and cost me money to fix. When I realized what they cost and that they last a good 5 years it was no longer an issue.
I think it is very simple: Burn tubes are like air injection and catalytic combusters are like catalytic converters in cars. Which one won that battle. They all have the same goal, complete combustion. The extra heat is just an added benefit. Unless you are someone that wants to fire up your stove, and burn all out all the time, I would think you would want a cat stove. They are much more versatile in their heat output and burn times. Fireview, 12 hour burn time from a 2.3 cf stove. My neighboor has an older Heritage and loves it but she can only go 8 hours between loadings or her house starts to cool down. My Fireview will easily go 12 (from what I'm told) and I'll be able to still restart a fire after a long shift.
After all the reviews I read on the two stoves I came across a few complaints on the Hearthstones and only one on the Fireview. A couple quality issues on the Hearthstone's and none on the Woodstocks. I went to every place on the web I could find just in case this place was biased. I dealt with the company and have nothing but good things to say about them. Between the two Heritage-Fireview, I say get the Fireview hands down. The only reason to get the Heritage is if your wife insists... then $800 is pocket change....

I wish Woodstock offered a stove in the Mansfield/Equinox size range. Based on seemingly endless positive reviews of the stoves and the customer service, they would get my business.. but 50k btu's isn't going to cut it for this drafty barn..

Terry,

I have the WS Fireview. It is the first stove that I have owned so I cannot compare between others. I, like many people, searched on the internet and was surprised by all the good reviews. The only two reasons that I have seen come up for not purchasing a Fireview is that its firebox is not as large as some people would like and the looks "turn people away."

I happen to love the looks. To me, it is reminiscent of old New England soapstone wood stoves. I have even read on this forum that, while some people were resistant because of the looks, they bought them anyway and eventually came around to like the looks.

As far as the firebox goes, read some of the posts on this site and you will see that every owner seems to be very happy with the output. I happen to have over 3000 square feet (without garage or basement). I have yet to "pack it to the gills," but I do currently use it to heat from 7-8AM - 1-2 AM and let the forced air kick in in between. I load it from about half way to three-quarters full.

I have put mine in a central location of the house (with a interior prefab chimney) next to the stairs leading to the upstairs bedrooms, so I can regulate the heat direction by closing doors either upstairs or downstairs depending on the time of day.

I am very happy with it. The company, in my opinion, is unmatched in quality and service, not only in the wood stove market, but in any market. It is American made, which I prefer. I go out of my way to support any company that has not "sold out" to the communist Chinese overseas and still employs Americans.

They have a six month money back guarantee. Who, besides Woodstock, does that anymore?

Russ in Chicagoland said:
I wish Woodstock offered a stove in the Mansfield/Equinox size range. Based on seemingly endless positive reviews of the stoves and the customer service, they would get my business.. but 50k btu's isn't going to cut it for this drafty barn..

They say a bigger stove is in the works, but won't give details.

I've burned both brands and like the Woodstock better for it's longer more controled burns and my 25% savings in firewood consumption.

Clearly you know where my sentiments lie if you look at my tag line. Our Fireview will be 18 yrs. old in December. We have done nothing to it in that time, save clean and change the catalytic combustor. Furnace cement on the vertical corner seams is in fine shape still. Gaskets are still OK. I grant you, we tend to "take care of things", but I also think this speaks to the quality of the stove's design and construction.

I have a Classic in my studio over the barn. Personally, this is my favorite stove in the Woodstock "stable".

I think the Woodstocks are hands down the smartest looking stoves on the market, too. The Hearthstones look sort of ponderous and coarse in comparison, but aesthetics are very personal.

I'm starting the third season with my first fireview. Researched long and hard before and came to the same conclusions others have written above. As back up I was using a pellet stove when I couldn't feed the fireview on a regular basis. (not too often)
Got tired of the fluctuating pellet/corn prices and noisy fans/augers on the pellet stove and with the current tax incentives I didn't think twice about replacing the pellet stove with another Fireview. Obviously if the rave reviews and actual performance wasn't true I would not have installed a 2nd one. Heating wise I don't need two Fireviews, but the pellet stove was in a more central location so the new FV will be the primary heater. Another rationalization is I like to clean the ash when the stove is cool, so now I can alternate stoves as necessary to do this ;-)

I love my Heritage but if I'd read up on the Woodstock, I probably woulda seriously considered it at the time. I still haven't verified it'll fit our rather specific setup, but it sure as heck sounds like a sweet stove. Rave reviews about the product and the company - plentiful on this site - go a long way, in my opinion.

That said, I do love the Heritage. Fantastic heater. I'll rave about it every day if asked :)

Edthedawg said:
That said, I do love the Heritage. Fantastic heater. I'll rave about it every day if asked :)

If only they put a hot water coil in there eh? :)

I haven't run the Heritage, did look at it though when debating on our first stove purchase - went VC for cost actually.

I expect you would be happy with either stove, but the flexibility of the cat in there really is a nice thing - I have been running mine for all day low burns (stove top at 300) during these cool days. Saves on wood and keeps the house temp just humming along - sort of like solar gain when the sun isn't shining. Stove area doesn't really feel hot at all, but the whole house gradually warms up anyway.

It is good to see so many having the Woodstock stoves. It is also funny that, like CTburning, we also were set on not getting a cat stove after reading and hearing some bad things about the cats. Then we ended up with a cat stove anyway and love it.

On the larger Woodstock stove, they are definitely working on one but so far I believe it is only in the firebox stage. Just a guess, but I'd say a year or more before we hear much more about it. I definitely feel they would have a large market for them.

On the looks, although I do really like most of the Hearthstone line and others I can't see why anyone would not like the Woodstock stove looks. They are a beautiful stove. Even when not used, it is still a beautiful piece of furniture.

So, Terry, is this enough information or do you still need more? Did I mention we use only half the amount of wood we used to and stay much warmer? And the wife can take care of the stove all by herself when necessary.

Actually, I'd like more info, folks. I am running into a physical footprint problem that may move me to purchase the Homestead BUT, I am not finding much info from owners on quality control for Hearthstones. A have seen a few posts, but a few posts does not a manufacturing problem make.

Anyway, if anyone has actually owned and experienced Hearthstone problems, please post the facts. Thanks.

BTW, the Woodstock web site is very good, and the pictures at Flickr really help to see some of the stoves in relation to surroundings, as well as the Stove Bright optional colors you can have them painted in.

I suggest scrubbing the reviews to look for issues. Perhaps open a new thread with a subject like "Homestead issues? Speak up" or something of the sort to get the attention of those folks.

From what I have read I expect you will find that those issues really are few and far between. I think the complaints have been on the door handles (issue actually fixed now I believe) and actually may have been more of a perceived issue than actual problem. I've also read about folks finding clumps of cement inside the stove when they go to clean out - but these are harmless and are more of an annoyance and may only speak to the volume of stoves they build and the overall build process.

I'm curious about your footprint problem - how much different is the actual footprint of these stoves? I never did a close comparison between.

I would avoid the Homestead if only based on the lack of side door. That side door on the Heritage makes all the difference in the world.

Conversely, the wood in the front my Heritage seems to be the best burning - so perhaps the Homestead's shallower box would be better to play with?

Having burned both, I have to say they are great products. I'm a fan of non cat stoves personally. I like not having to clean the combuster and wonder how fast's is losing it's efficiency. With the Heritage, I just light the fire with kindling, add wood set the air and go. Very little drama. As a Hearthstone dealer, I've had nothing but great experiences with them on warranty issues. Same goes when I was a Woodstock dealer (way back before they went factory direct) Great service from them also. I love the look of the Heritage and the side door is a pleasure. When I burn ours in our showroom, 8-10 hour burns are very easy on a full load of wood. Glass stays clean. I have yet to replace any baffle tubes on a Heritage after selling them on and off for 25 years.

The Homestead is more of a cute one room heater. Can't really load it up with a lot of wood.

Now, for me, for $800 difference, I would go with the Heritage in flat black and make it a $500 difference so I don't have the Cat issues to worry about. I'm a fireplace retailer and am already working 60+ hour weeks during the heating season. Don't need extra chores right now.

Also, yes, whatever the wife likes the look of matters

Man, this is a busy forum. This may be the busiest forum I have ever been to concerning any subject I have had an interest in.

Footprint problem. Moving to a new house, and the hearth, which had a massive old Fisher turned sideways, now as a smaller gas stove. The hearth is about 25" out. No adjacent combustion problems, it's all brick or open space. But there is a wood beam for a mantel and I need to clear that.

The Yosemite has the shallowest depth dimension and footprint of any stove I can find that I like. The Keystone and Homestead next. The Fireview requires an elbow turned upward which increases the depth too much. I'll be off the Hearth.

I may as well go ahead and start a new thread on Hearthstone issues. I guess I should also check out that page of comments at Hearthstone, itself.

What I have read so far, from doing a search, are issues of overall quality (yes, oozing cement), crooked doors, not passing the dollar bill test on a brand new stove, but especially problems with Hearthstone dealers and the company itself.

As far as my wife, she loves the Homestead best. But, she knows I'll be using it, and the left to right hand swing of the Homestead will be a hassle. I love the idea of the side door load on stoves, and even top loading, enter Lopi Leyden. But, I'd have to enlarge the hearth. I'll have to do it if I choose the Fireview.

I never really thought about it before, but this is a busy forum compared to others!

Will a mantle shield reduce your clearance enough?

Franks said:
I'm a fan of non cat stoves personally. I like not having to clean the combuster and wonder how fast's is losing it's efficiency.

Catalysts don't lose a little bit of efficiency with every fire, it's only towards the end of it's life where efficiency drops off according to Applied Ceramics.

Well, if I get the Fireview I'll run right into it. I'd have to build out the hearth. With the other stoves I mentioned I am pretty sure I can use a shield.

REF1 said:
Man, this is a busy forum. This may be the busiest forum I have ever been to concerning any subject I have had an interest in.

Footprint problem. Moving to a new house, and the hearth, which had a massive old Fisher turned sideways, now as a smaller gas stove. The hearth is about 25" out. No adjacent combustion problems, it's all brick or open space. But there is a wood beam for a mantel and I need to clear that.

The Yosemite has the shallowest depth dimension and footprint of any stove I can find that I like. The Keystone and Homestead next. The Fireview requires an elbow turned upward which increases the depth too much. I'll be off the Hearth.

I may as well go ahead and start a new thread on Hearthstone issues. I guess I should also check out that page of comments at Hearthstone, itself.

What I have read so far, from doing a search, are issues of overall quality (yes, oozing cement), crooked doors, not passing the dollar bill test on a brand new stove, but especially problems with Hearthstone dealers and the company itself.

The Woodstock stoves only require 8" in front if that helps.

Actually, with a stone floor I'll be putting in, front clearance is not an issue. It is more the raised hearth and the stove being able to stay ON the hearth. The Fireview will come past the edge.

I own a heritage and it has been a great stove for the last 12 cords of wood. I've had no real issues since getting the stove running, only being nit-picky and sealing up some interior air leaks that likely weren't a big deal.

We see above that many people love the WS and I would love to own one too, but like any stove the woodstock has some problems. The rear flue allows great cat access but it means that this stove is like a football field away from a combustible wall. In the days of 4-7 inch rear clearances from other stoves, the WS requires about 20" once you consider the 6" to pipe, the 7" pipe, the 3" snout of the tee, and the 4" stove adapter. The only time that this is reasonable is if you are venting into an existing chimney where you have the old fireplace to use up that 20". These WS stoves are only rated to heat a small home and in a small home you don't have tons of space to throw away by pulling the stove out into the room.

The heritage can be rear OR top vented, has a much bigger viewing window of the much nicer non-cat fire, has a front and side door so you can load either way (I don't use the front door except for cleaning), the latches on the heritage feel small but work well and haven't been a problem for me at all. The stone on hearthstones is polished to a mirror finish vs. the WS is rough sanded. Both have solid cast iron but the WS is more frilly which you might like, its like a lacey stove.

Don't get hung up on the double walls, it's not like a single pane window. I don't know what the the double walls do for WS except act like a double hull on a ship to protect against stone breakage? Maybe the double walls allows a gentler temp gradient between the firebox and the room to minimize cracks. You don't hear about people cracking stones on heritage or WS, only on the smaller homestead and tribute models that are run hard to make up for being undersized.

You will get longer burn times and lower allowable running temps with the WS. This is a huge feature but is a cat feature and comes with the extra operational steps and maintenance of the cat. I think the extra commitment is worth it for the longer burn times but you may appreciate the simplicicty of a non-cat Hearthstone.

The oozing cement falling off is only on the inside and is not a problem except for people first worry that their stove is falling apart but it is just the extra. I've had no problems dealing with the company directly, tech support is great. I have no dealer and could care less about the dealer.

As I recall, the homestead is only slightly smaller than the heritage. It looks smaller because the back half is cast iron. You'll want the heritage over the homestead.

If WS could get a top venting fireview bigger than 3 CF then I may just buy one. Burn time alone is a huge deal for full time burners.

Status
Not open for further replies.