Woodstove additive (coal)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
I have a englander 13nc. I also live close to a railroad. I can walk the railroad for a couple of hundred yards and pick up a 5gal bucket or so of coal. Would it be detremental to throw a hand full of the stuff in with wood? Would i get a lot of oily residue inside the stove and pipe? It is not the cleaner burning kind but the black oily coal. I wasnt sure if it would all burn off or not. thanx all.

My father used to run a coal stove and I have a good amount left in the basement. I'm not throwing it into my stove. I don't want to take the chance of it eating away at my liner. From what I remember, coal burns better in a deep bed anyway. I'm not so sure a few pieces thrown on top of a load of wood would do a lot.

Matt

Forgot to add: At my old house I didn't have a metal liner and tried to start the fire with matchlight a few times. It does have compressed coal dust and it didn't work well due to the lack of air coming up from below it.

Matt

ive trew a piece or two in a camp fire before and i seems to bur for a long time. I was afraid about my stainless flue pipe.

If you have a bunch of free coal you might want to install a dedicated coal stove. Free heat is free heat! :cheese:

Matt

Some years ago, coal was sold near here, by the pound or by pre-measured bags which would fit into a car trunk. Someone brought me a bag when they were moving to a new place with no stove. These were large chunks. I would only put a chunk in the stove when I had a good, deep bed of coals [from wood]. The chunk would go all night.

Then I spoke with rep's from both companies which made my two stoves. Both said that coal burns so hot that it can damage or ruin the stove grates unless they are designed for coal burning. I did not opt to buy the coal grates for either stove and stopped using coal. However, it was pretty nice to get up in the a.m. and find deep orange "coals" waiting for me to drop a piece of wood on them to fire right up.

I don't know what the sulfur and etc. in some coal would do to stainless or other stovepipe, some research would definitely be in order before using much coal. Should be pretty easy to find info' about this..... I have no experience with your "oily" coal, ours is hard and almost crystalline in looks. Some coal has everything from mercury to acids in the exhaust.

By the way, around here [Colorado], the cost of buying coal was pretty comparable to buying firewood. I have woods and chainsaws so I don't buy either, but the long, slow burn of the coal was pretty nice.

And if I had a free source to be snagged while out walking my dogs every morning, you can bet I'd check out whether my stove would handle it. I'd be checking myself before leaving the house for the leashes and the five-gallon bucket for the coal.

We've had a few people post of success burning coal in their stoves once the stove was hot and a very good coal bed was established. It won't hurt the firebricks in the stove, nor the grate as long as the ashpan door is kept shut. I'd ask Englander tech support if there are concerns for the stove, but I am guessing it would be ok for occasional use. But if you think oil stinks, well coal does too.

One thing I was wondering about, is this coal left over from the days of steam engines or is it currently being used?

coal stove has combustion air coming from under the grate & up thru the coalbed. if not so, big clinkers result & extra stoveclening. free is worth a try & try layering coal on top of the wood too.

this is fresh coal shipped daily. When i said a hand full thats what i mean. I would only put a handfull in at a time and only after i have a bed of ashes on the fire brick. Would secondaries burn off of coal? i might take the time to pick up a couple buckets a year. im more worried about my flue having some sort of reaction from it like premature corrosion.

I was curious about the same thing. Good thread!

-Emt1581

oilstinks said:
this is fresh coal shipped daily. When i said a hand full thats what i mean. I would only put a handfull in at a time and only after i have a bed of ashes on the fire brick. Would secondaries burn off of coal? i might take the time to pick up a couple buckets a year. im more worried about my flue having some sort of reaction from it like premature corrosion.

If the flue is all stainless I would worry too much about burning a couple buckets a year. Do you know if this is bituminous or anthracite coal?

99.9% sure it is bituminous. It is dull black and a little oily.

Ive done it with nut coal in a Pacific Energy stove. 4 or 5 chunks of coal on the coal bed (wood) before bed time. I'm not sure it extended the burn time much more than simply packing the firebox full of wood, but it was fun and different.

Status
Not open for further replies.