Woodstove changeout program choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

finnski

Oct 16, 2015
sw nh
Hi all Newbie here.
My wife and I have been going a little nuts trying to pick a new stove. We signed up for and just received a $1000 voucher to be used towards any stove we want from any of the local participating dealers of which we have visited three. We are n Sw NH and get some pretty cold winters.
The house is a wide open floor plan, timberframe with 9' ceilings and completely wrapped in foam panels and is very easy to heat. The chimney is full masonry located dead center in the house with a 48" wide x 38" deep brick hearth.
We are not 24/7 burners and are replacing our 1980 Vigilant which has always been a little big and inefficient. We burn about 1.5 - 2 cords per year and let the baseboard heat come on when we are lazy.

We have been round and round with stove size and have looked any where from a Jotul 602 up to a Jotul Greenville F45, Morso 2b, Jotul F3cb, PE aldera T4,Quadrafire 2100, Hearthstone craftsbury, Hearthstone Castleton,
I really like the Jotul F45 but it is too deep for the location and hearth size. My wife is in love with the little Jotul 602 but I have an issue with not getting 16" logs in there very easily if at all. I actually have one of these in my shop and it is a great little stove. We can actually get this for free with the voucher as the stove is $999 locally. I could make her happy and just get it for no cost (pretty hard to beat) or keep wrestling with her for slightly larger stoves. She has said if we get it and it is not big enough we'll just sell it and go larger. I really like the design and looks of the new PE aldera 1.2 but have not seen one yet in person as they are just coming out. any input?

Thanks

Maybe a Woodstock ideal steel or progress hybrid. If I had that extra 1k I'd go progress. Its a beautiful stove.

Welcome!

Can you post a pic of the location? It would be good to know what is the material of the back wall. 38" of depth is very low when factoring in 16" hearth clearance in front and some rear clearance. With a non-combustible wall behind the stove you could push it back further to gain some room in front. Even then you will have few stove choices without extending the hearth. I took a look at the Woodstock stoves but even the small Keystone needs a larger hearth than you have.

Has the chimney a full insulated liner? And how dry is the wood you are using?

Welcome!

Can you post a pic of the location? It would be good to know what is the material of the back wall. 38" of depth is very low when factoring in 16" hearth clearance in front and some rear clearance. With a non-combustible wall behind the stove you could push it back further to gain some room in front. Even then you will have few stove choices without extending the hearth. I took a look at the Woodstock stoves but even the small Keystone needs a larger hearth than you have.

Has the chimney a full insulated liner? And how dry is the wood you are using?

It is an 8 x 8 clay flue. The brick chimney goes up to the second floor and I can back the stove right up to the chimney. I can extend the hearth if necessary. There is a post in the left forefront not shown in the picture

Attachments

• Woodstove changeout program choices
    IMG_0367.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 75
Maybe a Woodstock ideal steel or progress hybrid. If I had that extra 1k I'd go progress. Its a beautiful stove.

Unfortunately the Woodstock stoves are not eligible because I have to buy it from a participating dealer and they don't have dealers ( I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.