1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Woodstove coffee

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by ScotO, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Nothing like brewing some good coffee in a vintage percolator on the woodstove......anyone else cooking on their woodstove yet?

2012-10-07_09-28-17_325.jpg
    zap and Thistle like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We're not even burning yet, but I bet that smells good.
    ScotO likes this.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Honestly, it just tastes better IMO. Even my wife thinks the same. Probably just the psychological connection of seeing that little perker thumping like mad on top of the woodstove and the smell of that Columbian bean wafting through the house!
    PapaDave likes this.
  4. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Scotty, you better put a old time wood cookstove in the kitchen. That with a couple of well seasoned cast iron pans, and you would have reached Nirvana.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

trust me, rotti ......that's in the plans someday. We built our hearth specifically to fit the Esse Ironheart cookstove. Someday, someday......;)
    pen likes this.
  6. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Know where you are coming from. Wish my kitchen could accomodate one.
  7. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I, of course, grew up around percolators...all the way through to sometime in my 20's (1970's). Home, camping, wherever, stove-top or electric, whatever...didn't matter, that's how coffee was made. Period. In college (1960's) we also used our coffee percolators to heat cans of food. Now, 40 years later, I can't even remember the last time I saw a percolator. It all started for me with my aunt buying a Chemex...after that, it's been drip coffee almost exclusively (occasionally French press). I can still remember the sounds & smells of a percolator...brings back some good memories, especially the campfire ones. Rick
    ScotO likes this.
  8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Not yet Scotty, how was it?

zap
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Zap, it was delicious! I love percolator coffee. Reminds me of when I was a kid over at grandma's house. I can still smell that coffee perking and the fried taters and eggs cooking in bacon grease ......wow, how some smells can stir up old memories!
    zap likes this.
  10. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Oh, well, now you're way upping the memory ante with your addition of the taters, eggs & bacon grease. Oh please, stop. !!! ;lol
    ScotO likes this.
  11. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    My parents used a faberware electric percolator until the 90s. The chug chug chug sound is a fond memory of childhood.

How hot did you have to crank the stove to get that going?. My steamer pot almost never boils...
  12. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Not very hot, was probably around 450 to 500 stovetop temp. Since I made the trivet hole in the top shield big enough to accommodate a pot or pan, now I can sit cookware right out on top of the firebox. I can bring water to a boil now in a big stockpot, I couldn't dream of doing that before. Do you have access to your stovetop or is there a shield on top?
  13. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    We use this 28 cup percolator at our cabin.

[​IMG]

Started using that about 5 or 6 years ago. Would have killed for this bohemith as a kid. At the time, we had 3 percolators about 8 cups each. With 20 some hung-over adults waking up in the morning, us kids were busy keeping the coffee flowing.

ETA:
    When done right, I still think perc coffee is the best.

I came close to going with a percolator at home instead of the last drip I bought, but I needed speed. On an everyday basis, I'll sacrifice some quality for getting 10 cups in 3 minutes.

pen
    ScotO likes this.
  14. ScotO

ScotO Guest

that's one nice perker there!

I remember some times at the cabin like that, right before my buddy passed away from cancer several years ago.
    Still have the "drip-o-later" he used up there, its probably from the 40's. Love those times at camp!
    pen likes this.
  15. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

O ya Scotty it isn't home this time of year without cooking on a good hot stove with my legs on fire :ZZZ from the heat of the stove glass ;ex I have not made coffee yet but we keep a pot of hot water for tea and coco for the nieces. There was a pot of chili going about a week ago that misteriously vanished int some bellies before I got there :mad: also some awesome biscuits. Well at least I am home alone tonight to eat the crumbs :)

Pete
    ScotO likes this.
  16. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Hmm, might just be that hte heavy cast steamer doesn't get hot enough... We have it right on the griddle, no heat shields or anything. But it is a VC cat stove with the combustor in the back of the stove.... the stove top doesn't get as hot as a lot of other stoves do, this one throws a lot of heat from the back.
  17. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'm betting that is most of the problem right there. Try putting a stainless steel pan on it once, see if that will boil.....
  18. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Cooking beakfast (hot cereals, eggs, vegetable omelets), making coffee and tea, cooking soups, casserole, steaming vegetables, making stew, processing food from the garden, making jelly, roasting ...anything I need to cook. Once I can light the stove, hardly ever use the kitchen stove or range. Do still use the microwave, but less than I used to.
    ScotO likes this.
  19. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Ah ..yes ! perked coffee. Absoloutly the best;) At least my brain thinks that ..
    ScotO likes this.
  20. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I remember the cooking and making coffee on the stove stuff. Got over that a long time ago. And cleaning the crap off the top of the stove and repainting it every year or two and smelling boil overs for days when I couldn't shut it down in mid-winter.

Cook on the kitchen stove, make coffee in the Mr. Coffee and when the power fails fire the generator and cook on the dual hot plates and make the coffee in the Mr. Coffee. I have a good enough memory to remember those damn coffee grounds in the bottom of the cup in peculator days. >>
    PapaDave likes this.
  21. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    buzzkill bart :p
    ScotO likes this.
  22. ScotO

ScotO Guest

dammit Bart. Party pooper.....:p
  23. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    "I have a good enough memory to remember those damn coffee grounds in the bottom of the cup in peculator days. >>"
    Ding, ding, ding. ;sick
    Don't miss eating my morning coffee.
  24. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    But it was fun. And every new wood burner has to do it. When heating with wood has the romance attached. After thirty years it is just heat. And work. But that boiled over beef stew years ago smelled to high heaven for a week. :mad:

Full disclosure: I did bake a pan of biscuits on the 30 during the last week long power failure. Took forever. The next day I fired the big genny and did them in the toaster/convection oven.
  25. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I might do some eggs on the stove in the morning.....or oatmeal. I should eat more oatmeal.
    I like oatmeal. Really.
    It's only taken 6 years for the romance to wane a bit.
    Back to the coffee. Keurig is my new friend since my son got me one last year.
    stoveguy2esw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.