Woodstove Design and Layout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydestone

Jan 11, 2006
I am looking to build a new house and am looking for some woodstove heating and design resources. Are there any websites out there with design aids such as room layouts and floor plans that optimize wood stove performance and heat distribution?

I dont know of a website, but when i built my house i put my supply ducts to the furnace high in the catherdral celing above my woodstove. The furnace fan does a great job of evening out the heat in the house.

If I were building a house that by design was taking wood heat into consideration, I'd look at something like Tulikivi's or other masonry heaters. They're more efficient than a wood stove, and just plain beautiful to look at.

Try here: tulikivi's

or

Masonry heater association links

Poke around a bit there are resources on both sites for how to build a home around a masonry heater.

Warren said:
If I were building a house that by design was taking wood heat into consideration, I'd look at something like Tulikivi's or other masonry heaters. They're more efficient than a wood stove, and just plain beautiful to look at.

Try here: tulikivi's

or

Masonry heater association links

Poke around a bit there are resources on both sites for how to build a home around a masonry heater.

Ditto on the masonry heater, way nicer but spendy too.

Hi There:

A great website to get you moving in the right direction is

http://www.woodheat.org/planning/planning.htm

which includes new material on how to buy the right wood stove, design features for your house to facilitate heating with wood and how to move the heat around your home. Deciding too early on what you want is a big mistake. There is a learning curve.

In my (humble) opinion, time is well spent here in the planning stages gathering information online (even here), talking to people who have burned wood for a while learning the pros and cons of their systems and selective listening to local reps who sell the products you may purchase. Keep in mind there is no perfect system.

That said, by doing your homework first, chances are you won't end up to be one of the bellyachers this website gives witness to.

Good luck.

Aye,
Marty

Grandma used to say, "Thinking before acting will get you further in life."

Status
Not open for further replies.