Woodstove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhide371

Dec 13, 2013
NJ
Buddy of mine is looking to install a woodstove in a retrofitted fireplace. As seen in the pictures what was done at his house was a fireplace was connected to the old oil furnace chimney which is a pretty large and unlined brick chimney that goes from the basement to the second story roof.

ee035ad1c1329494645d5ebd0ec6efb3.jpg

419ff82b9816cc70f944e165df3995a3.jpg

cc418661e913b31c3d09315bb40258eb.jpg

479f720437f86f954637a706ffe57868.jpg

a3af44ae74fad6caaf848a448c999f36.jpg

Some issues.

Connecting the chimney which is unlined brick to a pipe from a stove. How would we do that?

What type of liner would we put in the existing chimney to hook up to the stove too?

He doesn't have that much room to have a stove to be jutting out into his living room. So any cutting down on clearances would be great.

He has been looking at the smallest jotel they make.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

Was that a gas stove or pellet stove that was removed? The chimney will need a full, 6" insulated, stainless steel liner. It gets a chimney top cap and a connector sleeve to tie into the stove. The Jotul C350 is flush with relatively low clearances.

Thanks be green,

However, I am looking to demo the existing fireplace and replace it with a wood stove and connect pipe from stove to the liner I would install in the chimney. It is a right area so clearances are an issue and the back of the fireplace backs up to an interior wall. My concern is being able to angle the pipe into the chimney correctly and connect to the newly installed chimney liner. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If clearances are a concern you might want to also look at convective stoves instead of Jotuls which are radiant stoves. Also, what you are proposing for the liner will need a proper thimble exiting from the chimney. The liner terminates in a tee with the bottom capped, or extended to a lower clean out door where the end cap is accessible.

I would sketch out your plan and post the sketch(es) here for review. Include rough dimensions. It sounds possible, but checking on paper is so much easier than when moving brick and stove.

Looking at your second picture I think there was already a thimble in there. Maybe that can be put to use again? You would need to make sure the clearance to the wall-side and the rear will be met. The chimney is non-combustible, you could put the stove as close as you want it there. Closest rear-clearance in stoves is about 5".

Why are there two liners in the chimney? I assume the oil boiler is no longer venting in there?

Originally, the chimney was tied into the original furnace. When the furnace was updated whoever owned the house built a firebox into the chimney after the fact. I had a chimney inspector take a look at it and he couldn't believe the way they built into the chimney.

I would like to demo the fireplace and put in a wood stove but my issue is connecting the less expensive chimney liner to the double insulated pipe coming from the stove.

The reason there is two liners is because there was a gas stove insert in the fireplace when we got there that I ripped out. I still need to remove the two liners. I think it was an intake and an outtake for the gas stove. Could use any advise or help. Thanks.

Reactions: Dhide371
Status
Not open for further replies.