woodstove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roguedoll1

Mar 15, 2009
Oregon
I have an earth stove in my house that we use regularly to heat the house in the winter. My question is this: last night, while the fire was burning, the bowed metal piece that is under the chimney opening fell off into the fire. What is this called and what exactly is its purpose? Should I be concerned about using the stove without it?

Do you have a picture of it and where it was? a picture is truly worth a thousand words here.
If it is what I am thinking it is then it is a baffle to keep flames from shooting up the chimney directly.

My friend has an earth stove that was missing the baffle when he bought it, he made one out of heavy plate steel. I believe the baffle is not supposed to be bowed. His stove was very easy to overfire maybe that happened in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.