work boots!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryBack

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2005
Western Massachusetts
ok guys....whats been your luck with steel-toed work boots? Mine fall apart after 6 months. ot the soles crack and admit water and sand....anyone found one that really holds up?

I like Danner AKA Redwing. Vibram soles are the best, and make shure you treat the leather with something that doent break down the leather. Biwell products are the best, (beeswax and sinthetic wax based) mink oil is the worst. Keep mud off of them, the mud dries them out.

The best I have ever had are these. I cannot seem to destroy the damn things:

http://tinyurl.com/m7kxx

I only wear them on weekends but have been for 9 years. Every thing from whacking trees to working on the cars to hauling rock, plowing snow etc...

The soles ain't looking like they wanna crack lately.

Dunham. or Hermans

I had some of them that lasted for 10 years

Bee's wax based waterproof is the best.

HarryBack said:
could be im asking too much....I wear mine all day, everyday, winter, Spring, Summer, Fall

In the first place, don't do that! Get two pairs and rotate them daily for the sake of your feet and the boots.

With all the money you make gouging on those pellets you can afford it.

<ducking>

not gouging yet, still waiting for it to get colder, then I'll gouge...Its hard to gouge with fuel unitl folks are in a panic and really need it! :vampire:

Ditto on Brother Bart...Get two pairs..let one pair dry out...Chippewa and Redwings..lately have been eyeballing the wesco and whites have not been ready to fork out the dough yet...kinda crazy prices.

The best boots I have ever had are my Wesco's. They stand up better than any boot I have ever tried. Whether I am standing in spikes all day or pruning ,cutting timber or running equipment they are the best. I get about 2 years out them before I have them rebuilt .They are worth every penny. They are also custom made to my feet. I also oil them once a week with boot oil. The better you take of your boots the longer they last.

Don't buy Craftman's they fall apart in 2 months. Cat boots are the best the last longer than non cat boots.
I say if you are in boots that long each day, get the most confortable boots Me, my only luxury is having 3 pairs
Steel toes tend to get cold in winter. Hermans are good especially at keeping your feet dry and warm also wolvereens
I have had Dunhams but never redwings. Chainsaw work, wear steel toes

elkimmeg said:
Don't buy Craftman's they fall apart in 2 months. Cat boots are the best the last longer than non cat boots.
I say if you are in boots that long each day, get the most confortable boots Me, my only luxury is having 3 pairs
Steel toes tend to get cold in winter. Hermans are good especially at keeping your feet dry and warm also wolvereens

I wear my birkenstocks to chainsaw/split wood.

elkimmeg said:

I am still trying to wear out my old RedWings. If you take care of them they hold up pretty well.

Another vote for Redwings here.

Matterhorn Tiger Tip Men's 10in Search and Rescue Boots are bar far the best boots i have used . I bought these based on cutting wood and wood working with the hydro splitter . When it come to boots , ya get what you pay for . Wesco is a great boot too and a close second to the Matterhorn boots ( to me ). The Redwings and Caterpillar are OK at best but are not in the same league of best boots thats for sure. Danner is another great quality boot . Its best to try on the different boot brands to find your best fit for your own foot. Matterhorn boots link ........ http://www.shoestoboot.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=428&Category=162

Roospike said:
Matterhorn Tiger Tip Men's 10in Search and Rescue Boots are bar far the best boots i have used . I bought these based on cutting wood and wood working with the hydro splitter . When it come to boots , ya get what you pay for . Wesco is a great boot too and a close second to the Matterhorn boots ( to me ). The Redwings and Caterpillar are OK at best but are not in the same league of best boots thats for sure. Danner is another great quality boot . Its best to try on the different boot brands to find your best fit for your own foot. Matterhorn boots link ........ http://www.afmo.com/Matterhorn_Search_and_Rescue_Boots_12255_10in_T_p/211-00070.htm

Wow. Those things look like they should be on the feet of somebody carrying a very large weapon and uttering "I'll be back."

I am trying really, really hard not to picture Harry walking into a customer's house wearing those boots, chaps and a thong.

Thoes Matterhorns are also great boots. We used them in the USMC for cold weather training.

uh.......it scares ME thinking of that too, BB! Thanks for the visual, by the way. That sounds like a good boot, but I cant try them on anwhere nearby, and with my 12EEE feet, with high arches, thats a must.....then I looked at the prices.....I thought those must be the Harman Stoves of work boots! Then i saw Union made in the USA on the ad, and now i know why they are so expensive!

HarryBack said:
Then i saw Union made in the USA on the ad, and now i know why they are so expensive!
IF you have owned a quality pair of boots vs the cheaper ones you will know the difference . Its like a quality stove vs a 55 gallon drum , sure you can call them both stoves ....................

Roospike you are right about that. Some of the guys at work think I am nuts to spend 325+$ on a pair of boots.But I get 2+ years out of my WESCOS and they are bying new boots every 2-6 mounths.

my problem is due to my Sasquatch-like foot, I absolutely HAVE to try them on....and all the dealers around me seem only to sell the common workboots that dont seem to hold up. Wesco, Matterhorn, etc........need to find a place that STOCKS them.

HB, Wesco will custom make them to your foot. I have long and very narrow feet. They sent me a kit to measure and trace my feet . It worked out great. They were the first pair of boots that fit great out of the box. You may want to try them.

There is nothing that feels as good as a custom made pair of boots. Any boots. I have a pair of custom made Allen Edmonds alligator boots that were made for my feet. Sheer heaven.

Of course they cost as much as that darn Harmon pellet stove. More than my first new car.

Attachments

• aegators.jpg
    aegators.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 610
BrotherBart said:
There is nothing that feels as good as a custom made pair of boots. Any boots. I have a pair of custom made Allen Edmonds alligator boots that were made for my feet. Sheer heaven.

Of course they cost as much as that darn Harmon pellet stove. More than my first new car.

do they have Gor-tex liners in them? Ain't worth a dammm unless them is waterproof

That gator may have liked the water but I'll be damned if I am wearing them anywhere wet.

Looked what happened to him!

Bet you be looking fly with those boots on, BB.

I have an old pair of Labonville logging boots that I'm trying to baby into the next decade. My only complaint is that they have high heels, which tend to get caught in the slash and trip me up. I'd prefer a flatter sole, but I've never seen a pair of logging boots like that.

I've got an old pair of backcountry ski boots with more than 2,000 miles one them. I should toss them, since I have a couple of other new pairs, but there's a lot of great memories in them old boots. I just keep putting silicone and shoe goo into the cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.