Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
BTW, @thewoodlands indeed, 3 needles per group. Consistent with pitch pine.

BTW, @thewoodlands indeed, 3 needles per group. Consistent with pitch pine.
I'm not sure on the fatwood seasoning time, I usually just split some pine rounds down to kindling which takes good pine a year and most of the pine we use for kindling was cut in 2018 in log form our rounds, six months top for seasoning.

Split the last 10 or 11 rounds or so of that (pitch?) pine at my friend's place (and was kindly allowed to stack it there as my shed is full, so I made a rack - still need to work on the top cover).

I also have a question. There were quite a few pieces with fatwood (I think). At the same year-ring as a wound. (25 yes ago).
I extracted some.

How long does fatwood need to dry to be good fire starters. The oily stuff doesn't let water transport easily, I guess.

And (@BKVP ?), based on AK pitch ball stories, I assume fatwood is ok for my cat stove? Obviously it'll be used for starting (bypass open), but I could not get all the veins out, so some will be burned with the cat engaged. Probably no need to ask, but better safe than sorry.

View attachment 288191 View attachment 288192 View attachment 288193
I've burned stuff with a great deal more pitch than in your pictures. I can say I saw visible emissions when I burned pitchy stuff.

We have lots of folks in S. Cal high desert burning eucalyptus....you talk about oil! And a tougher splitting wood does not exist!

Reactions: stoveliker
Ok. I'll play with it a bit to extract some more. (Not that I have a shortage of kindling, but the 3- yr shed is full so I have nothing better to do..)

A few more dead pines came down today, three loads went over to the fireplace from the two trees and another three loads of pine splits that were under a tarp for a few years were added to the fire.

104_2662.JPG 104_2663.JPG 104_2665.JPG 104_2666.JPG 104_2667.JPG 104_2668.JPG 104_2669.JPG

What are we looking at here? It almost looks line petrified wood……$$$$$$$!!!

It's a pitch pine. Recently cut (alive). And those radial streaks are fatwood. See earlier post where I added a pic with a slice of fatwood that I extracted from (another) round.

Haven't checked this thread since November. I see @thewoodlands has been busy as usual. Haven't been able to do any processing in quite a while, but going to buck up a bunch of logs this afternoon.

"as usual", lol.
That'll feel good, get some wood done (rather than mud...)

I just filled the garage back up today. We have been burning but the temps have not been real cold so we have not been going through a lot of wood. I'm hoping for some colder temps to freeze things up but the forecast for the next 2 weeks shows temps in the mid 30's to low 40's for highs.
Since your post on getting colder weather, it seems like we received what you were hoping for, this morning we bottomed out at 3.9.

Between the baking and cooking, it's nice and warm up here. The wife made some cookies, homemade bread, three pounds of meatballs and a cake in the last three days. Tonight I make the spaghetti sauce for a gnocchi dish I'm cooking on Christmas day.

@rottiman , I'm at 203 before the Christmas and New Years meal, we'll see how much that adds.

Haven't checked this thread since November. I see @thewoodlands has been busy as usual. Haven't been able to do any processing in quite a while, but going to buck up a bunch of logs this afternoon.
I've been after some dead pines so we've had some nice hot fires in the outside fireplace. Have fun cutting the logs, what types of wood will you being bucking up?

It looks like Christmas day we might be in for some sleet, rain and ice, is anyone else getting the same?

Reactions: heavy hammer
Since your post on getting colder weather, it seems like we received what you were hoping for, this morning we bottomed out at 3.9.

Between the baking and cooking, it's nice and warm up here. The wife made some cookies, homemade bread, three pounds of meatballs and a cake in the last three days. Tonight I make the spaghetti sauce for a gnocchi dish I'm cooking on Christmas day.

@rottiman , I'm at 203 before the Christmas and New Years meal, we'll see how much that adds.
I am sitting right on the 250 mark. I do not plan ANY deviation from the keto regime over the holidays. 25 lbs. to go and I AIM TO GET THERE !!!!!! Merry Christmas Zap, enjoy.

Northwoods is getting a little snow and ice, SE WI is supposed to get rain tomorrow for the beginning of the holiday doe hunt.

Wood I was bucking was ash, aspen and pine. Got it mostly done in 3 hours but ran out of bar and chain oil. Going to go looking for gallons of canola oil to try after reading a thread on it.

Saw you guys are working on losing some weight. Good for you! I've lost about 25lbs with the build this year. Generally always floated around 205 but around 180 now. Haven't been this light since '03.

Northwoods is getting a little snow and ice, SE WI is supposed to get rain tomorrow for the beginning of the holiday doe hunt.

Wood I was bucking was ash, aspen and pine. Got it mostly done in 3 hours but ran out of bar and chain oil. Going to go looking for gallons of canola oil to try after reading a thread on it.

Saw you guys are working on losing some weight. Good for you! I've lost about 25lbs with the build this year. Generally always floated around 205 but around 180 now. Haven't been this light since '03.
That's a nice drop in weight, for me getting off the bread and not snacking at night along with the work in the woods did the trick.

Done a little more scrounging today. Plenty of dead ash left to get when I have time.

View attachment 288363
Nice work, we haven't burned much Ash up here but we do have 24 face cords that are seasoned and ready to go.

We have a mix of sleet, ice and rain forecast for Christmas, hopefully it changes.

Nice work, we haven't burned much Ash up here but we do have 24 face cords that are seasoned and ready to go.

We have a mix of sleet, ice and rain forecast for Christmas, hopefully it changes.
I haven’t burnt much of it here yet either. Got into some beetle killed trees and there is a ton of them. I’ll probably be burning on ash for the next several years at this rate. Oak is definitely my primary heat source here as it’s plentiful.

I hope it changes in favor of snow if you prefer that sort of thing on Christmas! We are headed for another warm up starting tomorrow morning through Christmas. We had a nice 10” snow last Christmas. Was hoping for that again this year.

I haven’t burnt much of it here yet either. Got into some beetle killed trees and there is a ton of them. I’ll probably be burning on ash for the next several years at this rate. Oak is definitely my primary heat source here as it’s plentiful.

I hope it changes in favor of snow if you prefer that sort of thing on Christmas! We are headed for another warm up starting tomorrow morning through Christmas. We had a nice 10” snow last Christmas. Was hoping for that again this year.
We don't have any Oak on our property but it seems like the Red Oak keeps getting closer to our property.

There was a day when we could count on a White Christmas but it seems certain years we just have enough to cover the ground.

The snowmobile trails are just down the road, when we went by the other day they were still locked up. The people that have a business in our small town count on that winter business big time.

We don't have any Oak on our property but it seems like the Red Oak keeps getting closer to our property.

There was a day when we could count on a White Christmas but it seems certain years we just have enough to cover the ground.

The snowmobile trails are just down the road, when we went by the other day they were still locked up. The people that have a business in our small town count on that winter business big time.
One of the main trails in this area is just across from us. Has about 3" of snow on it right now. Lots of snow mobiles on the local classifieds for sale in this area.

It’s excellent firewood if you ever get around to any.

Seems these La Niña weather patterns are really changing things up. I’m holding hope for a change up in the near future to give us some of that proper winter weather.

There’s a few ski resorts here that are struggling this year with the warm weather. They make artificial snow but even that doesn’t stick around in 60 degree weather!

Reactions: thewoodlands
It’s excellent firewood if you ever get around to any.

Seems these La Niña weather patterns are really changing things up. I’m holding hope for a change up in the near future to give us some of that proper winter weather.

There’s a few ski resorts here that are struggling this year with the warm weather. They make artificial snow but even that doesn’t stick around in 60 degree weather!
If or when we get that Artic cold moving in up here, we'll be wishing it were 60.