Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
With rain, ice and some snow forecast for our area starting tonight, we put in a couple loads of firewood today.

The Rhino had one headlight working, high only so I finally found the correct bulb in town and I replaced both. Locally the bulb cost $4.50 per bulb, online the same bulb was $12 to $18 bucks per bulb.

With rain, ice and some snow forecast for our area starting tonight, we put in a couple loads of firewood today.

The Rhino had one headlight working, high only so I finally found the correct bulb in town and I replaced both. Locally the bulb cost $4.50 per bulb, online the same bulb was $12 to $18 bucks per bulb.
The "Bend Over, On-Line Christmas Pricing Special" no doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewoodlands
The "Bend Over, On-Line Christmas Pricing Special" no doubt.
Just like when the restaurants up the prices for New Years Eve, I ran a single color A.B. Dick printing press for years and I couldn't believe how much they upped the prices when we printed a menu just for that night.

Reactions: rottiman
Everybody just look at your beautiful fire wood for you are ready for the cold and on the first day enjoy the beautiful snow coming down (if you are off) and if not then suffer with the digging out hoping the weather turns warm soon so things will melt fast and driving will be better..Then sit down and have a cup of hot chocolate and marshmallows --make sure they are mini's and love all the people coming over or calling wishing you a happy holiday season with wonderful health and listen to some real pretty music to get in the mood for Christmas and a baby's birth...clancey

NOAA had us hitting a low of 5 this morning, we had 17.5 on the wireless, just a touch off.
Happens here quite often too. We always get more wind than predicted due to geography. It’s not unusual to see 30 mph gusts when the weather “gurus” aren’t showing anything. Now that same breeze in the summer is welcomed!

We are sitting at 56F this morning. Warmest Christmas I can remember.

Making some progress on the oak hoard. Had to break out the gas splitter for some twisty grained pieces.

20211225_125850.jpg

We decided about a month ago I would cook this Gnocchi dish for the wife on Christmas day, I made the spaghetti sauce two days ago and the wife had made some 3 pounds of meatballs three days ago.

Pictured is a baked dish of Gnocchi with three different cheeses, a few meatballs, spaghetti sauce and two pounds of Gnocchi. Not pictured are the two steaks we had with it, I guess it's time for me to get back working.

This was my work today.

The dish in the picture is yellow on the sides, we had ordered a red one but they sent yellow, the company said keep it at no charge and we'll send you the red one (Thank You) we get the second dish and that's yellow, I sent pictures and the company said keep it we'll send you a red one, we'll see what happens.

IMG_0101.jpg IMG_0103.jpg IMG_0104.jpg IMG_0106.jpg

Just some pictures of the four dead pine that I felled today and a few pictures of the deer eating something on the hill in the back. Most of the rounds were split and brought over to the fireplace for a nice hot fire and some cleanup up on the knoll from the last pine.

104_2682.JPG 104_2683.JPG 104_2684.JPG 104_2685.JPG 104_2686.JPG 104_2687.JPG 104_2688.JPG 104_2689.JPG 104_2697.JPG 104_2698.JPG 104_2700.JPG

AW--you scared that deer and you should be at home resting with your wonderful family and taking a few days off as well...Gosh that looks cold and try to stay warm at this time...pretty woodsy pictures..clancey Thanks..
Perfect day for working, in the 20's with no wind and the deer hanging around wondering if the chainsaw noise was felling some food for them.

We do have some maples that need to come down because of some rot in the trunk, the deer will eat those buds pretty quick.

That looks cold and I am waiting for my city to get colder so that I can really test out my stove..I am actually "missing" snow because I can stay home and enjoy it --not having to drive anywhere. Our mountains got snow but I am still waiting for it and the work I did today was clean the stove room and take some moisture readings on the wood --kiln dried oak--12, 13, and one ten and learning how to use this drill--lol..i cleaned out the stove and getting it ready to light when it gets colder so that I can judge it..I am addicted and I love it...I"m wondering---How do you start that fire outside when all the wood seems very wet--just wondering and most likely will never have to do this but it sure looks like a nice fire that would keep you warm as you "maybe roast marshmallows" or something--lol...Just think break time by the fire--wow and feeding the deer too--how nice...Happy new year..Thanks for the pictures of a cloudy day with snow...clancey

That looks cold and I am waiting for my city to get colder so that I can really test out my stove..I am actually "missing" snow because I can stay home and enjoy it --not having to drive anywhere. Our mountains got snow but I am still waiting for it and the work I did today was clean the stove room and take some moisture readings on the wood --kiln dried oak--12, 13, and one ten and learning how to use this drill--lol..i cleaned out the stove and getting it ready to light when it gets colder so that I can judge it..I am addicted and I love it...I"m wondering---How do you start that fire outside when all the wood seems very wet--just wondering and most likely will never have to do this but it sure looks like a nice fire that would keep you warm as you "maybe roast marshmallows" or something--lol...Just think break time by the fire--wow and feeding the deer too--how nice...Happy new year..Thanks for the pictures of a cloudy day with snow...clancey
It was another nice day here in northern New York, we were in the low 20's with no wind. Before I started the fire, the wife wanted to take a ride around the property so I warmed up the RTV and we took a ride. Once the fire got cranking you had to get back away from it a good 50 feet.

The clearing of some smaller dead pine continued today, everything is over by the outside fireplace, hopefully tomorrow I'll have a fire.

I did take the plow off the 4540 and put the forks on so I could get one log up off the ground, c & s and brought over to the fireplace. Since I had the forks on, I brought two more logs over near the fireplace so I can c & s and then burn them.

All the smaller pine that are down in the first four pictures will make two or three new trails in this area I'm working.

104_2706.JPG 104_2707.JPG 104_2708.JPG 104_2709.JPG 104_2710.JPG 104_2711.JPG 104_2712.JPG

Last edited:
We had a few days of colder temps just enough that I could bring out the tractor to haul up some wood from the woods. But the day before Christmas Eve was in the 50's. Rainy and in the 40's today. I hope everyone had a good Christmas.

I moved wood with the tractor today. I ended up bring 8 loads up from the woods today. Temps stayed below fereezing, a cold morning around 11.
We're in for drizzle, snow and more drizzle tomorrow unless it stays south of us. What type of weather is your area in for this coming week?

Warm for a day or to, close to 40. Than some cold temps back in the 20's I believe. Last Thursday when the temps went from 40 to the mid to low 20's we were climbing towers all day and it a tough day. I was happy to come home to a warm house and two stoves.

Warm for a day or to, close to 40. Than some cold temps back in the 20's I believe. Last Thursday when the temps went from 40 to the mid to low 20's we were climbing towers all day and it a tough day. I was happy to come home to a warm house and two stoves.
When I went out to start the tractor today, it was 4.1 and 15 something when I came in but the wife had a nice fire going which felt great.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Weird winter weather roller coaster continues on for us........................

Tonight
Chance of flurries
12°F*
30%
Chance of flurries

Sun
9 Jan
Periods of snow

36°F

Periods of snow
Night
Chance of flurries