Worth changing to Stainless?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n6crv

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale Co. Michigan
Hello, would it be worth changing my flue pipe to stainless? I have some stainless pipe that is made of 304-grade stainless steel. The thickness is 24-gauge. It was the stuff that I was going to reline my chimney before I went with new class A. I have 4 3' pieces just laying around. Also wounder how it would take black stove paint. I have a strange problem with my standard black flue pipe I'm using now. When I check my chimney and flue pipes for creosote the chimney looks great. It has just a very light layer of brown/gray ash. But the flue pipe has a layer of black stuff that is a real pain to get off. It does not really look like normal glaze and does not seem to burn off. I have tried using a torch to burn it and it just seems to glow. It has to be forming in the hottest part of the system. I thought the stainless pipe might help.
Don

You are talking about single wall connector pipe? You could try going to double wall instead.

Hello yes it is just the single wall black 24ga flue pipe. The kind you snap the seam together. The stainless has welded seam. All the joints are sealed and the temps are high enough that I sure be getting nothing in the pipe. I even check the chimney cap and it was not to bad. The little bit of creosote that was on it I was able to rub off with my hand.
Don

Thanks for the replys but I just talked myself out of changing pipes. I should of thought it out better. My thermometers will not work. My probe and magmount both needs to be able to stick to the pipe. I don't mind adding a screw to the magmount to keep it mounted but the Condar probe is not going to work. Thanks for all the trouble.
Don

Stainless will take paint fine
It has to be CLEAN, Brake Cleaner removes ALL dirt and oil ,oil from your hands is still oil. Then get it warm and hit it with paint while its WARM.
Once it gets hot it will cure and be fine.
I painted the Class A piece that sticks inside the house that way and it looks just like it did the day I painted it.

N6CRV said:
Thanks for the replys but I just talked myself out of changing pipes. I should of thought it out better. My thermometers will not work. My probe and magmount both needs to be able to stick to the pipe. I don't mind adding a screw to the magmount to keep it mounted but the Condar probe is not going to work. Thanks for all the trouble.
Don

Most stove / pipe thermometers have a couple holes on them to run a peice of safety wire around the pipe to hold them in. Good idea even on steel pipe as an overfire can cause the magnetism to fail and drop the hot thermometer on the floor.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.