would it be a sin? chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danno77 said:
dougand3 said:
Wanna drive to Ala-bam-er? I've got a Metalbestos chimney system (cathedral ceiling mounting) that I'll let you have real cheap! Be perfect for you!
will it fit in the backseat of my brother's car? he'll be coming up to see me sometime in october. He lives in Birmingham...

It should fit ok...if not, pipes hanging out is no big deal - this is Alabama...LOL. PM sent.

Well you could stick a pipe thru the roof and the stove would burn fine But the pipe would need to be cleaned every day and it could clog in a few days .
You will also get black shiny creosote that is hard to clean .
We had a Ice fishing hut with a steal pipe .
A small chimney doesnt draft very good to begin with and with a steal tub as a chimney the flue gas will cool when it leaves the roof line .

/The truth of the matter is you only need to have A- vent pipe from the roof line up.
You still need a chimney top and roof flashing . To run the A vent thru the roof cost about 80 bucks for the 4' tube and 60 bucks for the ceiling pipe support . Lowe's pipe seems cheep to me .
A block chimney cost about 28 dollars a foot for the material from the ground up + concrete footing .

I did stay at a Inn wile salmon fishing that had a 8" black pipe run from the center of the dining room thru the living room down the hall way then up to the second floor and thru 5 bed rooms then out thru the steal roof with a steel pipe . The owner was born in the house and he was in his 70s when i was there He said the pipe it was always run around the house in the winter . It was hooked to a 6' high pot belly stove . He burned 20+ cord a year

Status
Not open for further replies.