Would like some recommendations/advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahShoe

Sep 4, 2013
Greetings and thank you in advance

I am looking for advice regarding choosing a woodstove. We are currently putting an addition on our mobile home for the purpose of putting a wood stove in.

With the addition we will have roughly 1400 sq ft. to heat.

Being able to cook on/with the wood stove is a must, to the point that we are seriously considering a wood "cookstove" the flameview wood cook stove with the airtight wood box. Does anyone have experience with this stove?

The forerunner at the moment is the progress hybrid from woodstock. But I would like to know, does anyone do canning? And if so, is that top big enough to put a big waterbath or pressure canner on there?

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

We live in NW Ontario, so it would be used potentially 8-10 months of the year. Including some nights in the summer when it is quite chilly.

Thanks
Sarah

The progress hybrid is a really good stove you cant go wrong there.

As far as cooking on a wood stove here is a pic of the cook top if you havent seen it.

Hopefully others who cook on it can chime in.

I suspect you would be better off living in such a northern climate to have a stove more suited for heating. Rather than for cooking.

You will need a good supply of dry seasoned wood so if you dont have that now you should get your wood as soon as possible.

Remember the Dry Seasoned wood is very important.

cooktop_resize-jpg.89054

Reactions: Trilifter7
When we bought our property three years ago, we got it very cheap from a logging company because they had done a horrible, fast job of cutting, and they only took the big logs out, leaving thousands of smaller, logs laying. We have been collecting this for three years now so we have an extensive woodpile :)

When we bought our property three years ago, we got it very cheap from a logging company because they had done a horrible, fast job of cutting, and they only took the big logs out, leaving thousands of smaller, logs laying. We have been collecting this for three years now so we have an extensive woodpile :)
But is your wood split and stacked in a nice sunny and breezy area. doesn't dry out worth squat if not split.

The cooktop on the Progress Hybrid is 23 x 12 1/2. I guess you will have to measure the bottom of your canning pot to see if it is wider than 12 1/2 inches. Hope this helps.

Yep, split and stacked. Enough for probably two years. With many many more years worth down, but not bucked and split yet.

Thank you Toddnic, that is the info that I needed. Do you know if you were to keep the soapstone down, with a trivet or something, if a pot on top of that would get hot enough to boil water. Or is that a big no-no?

Yep, split and stacked. Enough for probably two years. With many many more years worth down, but not bucked and split yet.

Thank you Toddnic, that is the info that I needed. Do you know if you were to keep the soapstone down, with a trivet or something, if a pot on top of that would get hot enough to boil water. Or is that a big no-no?

Probably not No-No but I would be wondering whether your pot will get hot enough. Our gas cookstove runs on full tilt when we do canning to get the water to boil. What you could do is to get the water warmed up on the Progress and then move it over to your actual cookstove for the actual boiling. May still save you some gas/electricity.

If the primary purpose of the stove is cooking (you will still get a lot of heat) I would invest in a stove that is designed to do it well. With a wide cooktop surface you will quickly be able to slide a boiling pot over to a cooler (simmer) section of the cooktop, avoiding a boilover. You will also be able to simultaneously cook with multiple pots and very importantly, bake. An excellent investment here will pay off with years of pleasure. One cookstove that should be high on the list is an Esse Ironheart.

If you primarily want a woodstove with a flexible cooktop option then you might also look at the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 or T6. This article may be of some help to you.
http://www.canadianpreppersnetwork.com/2012/12/choosing-woodstove-cookstove.html

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We did look at the Esse, but may have to do so again.

It was a very tough decision, but I think that we have to go on the assumption that the primary purpose is going to be for heating. Although if we could find a cookstove that would be able to handle overnight burns we would definitely consider it. That is why I ask about the Flameview, they claim that because of the airtight box that it is almost as good as a dedicated wood stove, was wondering if anyone has any real world experience with that.

We did look at the Esse, but may have to do so again.

It was a very tough decision, but I think that we have to go on the assumption that the primary purpose is going to be for heating. Although if we could find a cookstove that would be able to handle overnight burns we would definitely consider it. That is why I ask about the Flameview, they claim that because of the airtight box that it is almost as good as a dedicated wood stove, was wondering if anyone has any real world experience with that.

Before you buy a Woodstock stove be sure to check with your insurance company that you can burn a non-ULC listed stove.
My insurance company would not provide me with a letter saying they would cover me. They said "it shouldn't be a problem" but would not put it in writing.

So after thinking we had the field narrowed down, Obediah's had a brand new stove (that is only available in Canada so far) up. It is PERFECT for what we want. The only problem is that it is so new that there is no "real world" feedback yet. I am hesitant to take the plunge and be a guinea pig LOL

http://jaroby.com/en/fiche/9/198/ It is called the JA Roby Cuisiniere. Reminds me a lot of the Esse Ironheart, but quite a bit cheaper, and it heats more sq ft.

So after thinking we had the field narrowed down, Obediah's had a brand new stove (that is only available in Canada so far) up. It is PERFECT for what we want. The only problem is that it is so new that there is no "real world" feedback yet. I am hesitant to take the plunge and be a guinea pig LOL

http://jaroby.com/en/fiche/9/198/ It is called the JA Roby Cuisiniere. Reminds me a lot of the Esse Ironheart, but quite a bit cheaper, and it heats more sq ft.

Looks like a nice choice good job in finding something that fits your needs.

Home Hardware carries JA Roby Stoves. It's a bit at the low end of the market. (thinner metal and stuff but still very useable)

Elmira Stove Works has a nice line of Cookstoves (made you guessed it in Elmira ON) http://www.elmirastoveworks.com/ Pricier but very nice piece of furnitures.

There are also some ESSE dealers in Ontario.

Yes I saw the one that they had which combined the propane burners with the wood cookstove and started drooling. Unfortunately, I don't think that they would work to be the sole heat for our place.

Greetings and thank you in advance

I am looking for advice regarding choosing a woodstove. We are currently putting an addition on our mobile home for the purpose of putting a wood stove in.

With the addition we will have roughly 1400 sq ft. to heat.

Being able to cook on/with the wood stove is a must, to the point that we are seriously considering a wood "cookstove" the flameview wood cook stove with the airtight wood box. Does anyone have experience with this stove?

The forerunner at the moment is the progress hybrid from woodstock. But I would like to know, does anyone do canning? And if so, is that top big enough to put a big waterbath or pressure canner on there?

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

We live in NW Ontario, so it would be used potentially 8-10 months of the year. Including some nights in the summer when it is quite chilly.

Thanks
Sarah

Welcome to the forum Sarah.

With 1400 sq ft to heat, I feel the Progress might not be the best stove for you but the Fireview might be much better. On the other hand, I feel you should decide which is more important for you; cooking or heating your home.

We do some cooking on the Fireview but highly doubt we could do any canning. That just calls for so much heat that using the regular cook stove seems to make more sense.

Really good to hear you've been putting up some wood. Keep at it! Most of us on this on this forum recommend being 3 years ahead on the wood piles.

Good luck.

That's a beautiful stove...take the plunge! Be one of the first to put feedback/reviews out there in public...the mfr is gonna bend over backwards to make you a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.