1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Would this work for a small woodshed until I can build a better one?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Josh Hufford, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Josh Hufford

Josh Hufford New Member

Loc:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I'm planning on building an outdoor building/woodshed in a year or two, but that needs to wait until I have the extra money and time. For right now I don't have any place to store wood to keep it out of the rain/snow. So I had an idea to stack it under these steps, I would put pallets on the concrete, then use something on the bottom side of the steps to keep the rain or snow out, and as you can see it would be very close to the door that I bring wood into. Any reason why this wouldn't work? There is actually quite a bit of room under there but it is hard to tell from that angle. I know it isn't the best picture and I can get a better one later, just the only one I had of these steps at the moment.

[​IMG]
    Backwoods Savage likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I would box in the steps and maybe use some of the lattes on the side. BamB! :)
  3. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I know some will say it wont dry in that spot. But I would stack wood there. You can always move it later if you dont like it.
  4. cre73

cre73 Member

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    I think it would work fine for storage. May not season well due to lack of airflow though.
  5. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    My thought - box in the steps as smoking suggested. Pallets on ground. Fill with seasoned wood in the fall after a few dry days. Leave empty during the non burning months. I dont like leaving wood stacked close to the house year round, especially non-seasoned wood.
  6. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Will work for keeping you wood dry & easy access to burning.
    Fill it in the Fall with wood that's been seasoned & dried , (ready to burn stuff).
    How much you figure it'll hold?
  7. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Looks good to me.
    Maybe even screw some metal roofing under the stairs for cover.
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  8. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    It won't dry in that spot.:cool:

But if you start with dry wood and store it there, you should be good to go.
    ScotO and PapaDave like this.
  9. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    If you only use it as a staging area (before it goes into the house) and not a seasoning area, it should be ok.
    I would attach some vinyle siding (house side up) under the stairs to shed water away. It probably won't stay 100% dry, but it will stay mostly dry.
  10. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'd do like Lee mentioned....get a piece or two of metal roofing and install it under the stair stringers......
    That would be a great staging area for already-dry wood, but as the others already mentioned, it won't season very well there. Not enough wind flow....
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Definitely a good place for wood in the winter. Just make sure it is dry before you put it there and all will be well. You'll appreciate it.

As for those who scoff at drying the wood first, you only dry it first if you want to burn the best wood. If you are satisfied with "almost ready" or high moisture wood, then fine but you are simply asking for problems. That is difficult to understand why someone would knowingly do something that would cause problems.