XXV Won't Light After Power Outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedude110

Feeling the Heat
Aug 12, 2011
Central Connecticut
Hi All.

Power went out for about 5 hours last night -- had a real good burn going at the time of the outage. Once the power went out, I turned the stove off (didn't want it relighting on auto-pilot when the power came back on). There was a lot of smoke in the stove and a smoke smell in the house.

When the power was back on today, I fired up the stove -- room temp mode, 70 degrees. Nothing but some clinking as the auger fed the burn pot to the point that the pellets spilled into the ash pan. Cleaned out the pan, emptied and scraped the burn pot, ran it in test mode, all lights lit up, all motors seemed to be working. I turned the stove back to 70 degrees, and again, nothing. The useless red light beside the word "Ignitor" tells me I'm getting a current, at least.

The pot is warmish, there's signs of some embers, but I can't get a fire.

Help?

may be the power didn't all come back? may be the power company is not providing all the necessary amps yet? though i don't have that stove and it could very well be something else.

Have you tried to light it manually? Is there a surge protector in place? Even though you turned the stove off, unless it was unplugged, or had a surge protector in place, your stove can still get damaging power spikes when the power comes back on.

I do have a surge protector in place.

I haven't tried to light manually -- this would only be a time by time fix, yes? Ideally, I don't want to light manually each time I light the stove.

thedude110 said:
I do have a surge protector in place.

I haven't tried to light manually -- this would only be a time by time fix, yes? Ideally, I don't want to light manually each time I light the stove.

Your igniter could be gone or going or the airflow to and around it blocked, lighting the fire manually will verify if everything else works.

Vacuumed out the exhaust behind the ash pan, gave the burn pot a scraping within an inch of its life (I've been scraping every week, but clearly not well enough), and boom -- I have automatic ignition and fire.

I've only been burning for two months, but here are the two lessons I learned from this escapade:

1. When they say "scrape the burn pot" they mean scrape the effing burn pot.
2. The tool Harman gives you for said scraping is completely underpowered and will only give you a false sense of accomplishment. A flathead screw driver cleared up stuff the Harman tool didn't touch.

Thanks, all, for your help -- my Turmans are burning and my house is a comfy 66.

Thanks, all, for your help -- my Turmans are burning and my house is a comfy 66.
66F comfy! Glad you solved your problem, but 66F Burrr. LIke standing in front of an open refrigerator.

thedude110 said:
Vacuumed out the exhaust behind the ash pan, gave the burn pot a scraping within an inch of its life (I've been scraping every week, but clearly not well enough), and boom -- I have automatic ignition and fire.

I've only been burning for two months, but here are the two lessons I learned from this escapade:

2. The tool Harman gives you for said scraping is completely underpowered and will only give you a false sense of accomplishment. A flathead screw driver cleared up stuff the Harman tool didn't touch.

As many have said before you, the Harman scraping tool is basically useless. I've been usuing a large flat blade screwdriver for years and it works perfectly. Glad you got it running. Did you clean the fines out from under the burnpot where the igniter is located?

Harman Lover 007 said:
thedude110 said:

As many have said before you, the Harman scraping tool is basically useless. I've been usuing a large flat blade screwdriver for years and it works perfectly. Glad you got it running. Did you clean the fines out from under the burnpot where the igniter is located?

I see a lot of people referring to the area under the burnpot and how it collects fines. Mine doesn't see to collect any fines but does collect ash. Only a tablespoon or so each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.