Yeah, Baby.... 9:30 PM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss my 24ac, its quite comfy in here with the pellet dawg getting it done , but logs are so much more fun

It's a work out like no other !

The chickens must be warm, for certain !

I'll add that I came home @ 5 today, to a 62F degree house, and both stoves done. Almost 2 hours later, and I've just hit 68F. And the temps are dropping.

I think I'll run the space heater (oil filled radiator) tonight at 55 - 60 F, just to be on the safe side.

:mad:

wow dix! you have quite a punch with the 13 and the PE insert (which is a nice piece BTW, im a PE fan closet type love their stoves) 2 smaller boxes though , you would benefit from a single big box unit (not pushing) just need longer burn times when you are away too long.

I miss my 24ac, its quite comfy in here with the pellet dawg getting it done , but logs are so much more fun

I got sick of burning wood by Thanksgiving just like I do every year. Dumping rabbit turds in a hopper is getting more appealing every day. Got two tons in the basement but can't heat the joint from down there. The PDVC is just for heat when I need to do something down there. And would have to cut the base off of it for it to fit in the fireplace and be able to open the hopper.

It's a work out like no other !

yeah , but its more fun than "feeding the beast" you dump in a few bags wave a vac at it and its over , I miss the art of woodburning sometimes Dee wouldn't let me go back to wood if I wanted to , she's a true believer from the first autostart 10 years ago.

maybe when I refinish the garage , its going to eventually be the "mancave" (no offense) but its down the road a ways , have to finish the house remodel first and when you do it all yourself it takes time

I got sick of burning wood by Thanksgiving just like I do every year. Dumping rabbit turds in a hopper is getting more appealing every day. Got two tons in the basement but can't heat the joint from down there. The PDVC is just for heat when I need to do something down there. And would have to cut the base off of it for it to fit in the fireplace and be able to open the hopper.

SAY IT AINT SO JOE! :( I gotta tell ya roy, I flat out miss woodburning. was miserable the whole time I was doing it , but if I could go back I would in a 'hearthbeat" pellet is fun in one way but more mundane , its being a "slave to the bag", instead of a "slave to the stack"

wow dix! you have quite a punch with the 13 and the PE insert (which is a nice piece BTW, im a PE fan closet type love their stoves) 2 smaller boxes though , you would benefit from a single big box unit (not pushing) just need longer burn times when you are away too long.

I should have listened to my Mom.

She heated this house with coal. She had a honking beautiful coal cook stove porceline over enamel, with an oven, bread warmer, 6 "lift up plates", and a water jet for HW, down stairs in the lower level. that beast heated this place until it got into the zeros, then the other 2 stoves kicked in as needed. I' thinking a 30, and then kick in the PE or the 13 as needed.

Working on rectifying this .... just don't tell her she was right ;)

I should have listened to my Mom.

She heated this house with coal. She had a honking beautiful coal cook stove porceline over enamel, with an oven, bread warmer, 6 "lift up plates", and a water jet for HW, down stairs in the lower level. that beast heated this place until it got into the zeros, then the other 2 stoves kicked in as needed. I' thinking a 30, and then kick in the PE or the 13 as needed.

Working on rectifying this .... just don't tell her she was right ;)

coal is a pain, finicky , can be hard to light and you have to deal with the domestic version of "industrial waste" its phenomenal what it can do compared to wood, but I wouldn't burn it at home

coal is a pain, finicky , can be hard to light and you have to deal with the domestic version of "industrial waste" its phenomenal what it can do compared to wood, but I wouldn't burn it at home

Not going with coal. I had to deal with the aftermath when I pulled the wall to wall, etc. Exceptionally disgusting, and no wonder the Dixette & I were sick all winter.

Wood, or pellet. have not gotten that far yet.

Not going with coal. I had to deal with the aftermath when I pulled the wall to wall, etc. Exceptionally disgusting, and no wonder the Dixette & I were sick all winter.

Wood, or pellet. have not gotten that far yet.

dix, if ya want to talk about it , let me know , we can kick it around , you know how I roll , I value friends more than I value sales. let me know, im a walking stove wiki

yeah , but its more fun than "feeding the beast" you dump in a few bags wave a vac at it and its over , I miss the art of woodburning sometimes Dee wouldn't let me go back to wood if I wanted to , she's a true believer from the first autostart 10 years ago.

maybe when I refinish the garage , its going to eventually be the "mancave" (no offense) but its down the road a ways , have to finish the house remodel first and when you do it all yourself it takes time

Bleehh...if it ain't wood it may as well be an LP stove. Flame looks better and there's not bags to haul-basically a furnace with a fire show. Heated the Old House that way for 13 or so years, still are, actually but it's a rental now. Been in millivolt thermostat he%% for a few weeks with the thermo and stove not getting along at random times but the tenants are good and have been helping try to diagnose, lol. If it gets to where we can't do wood, the heath will be graced with a DV LP stove. I need fire.

Just loaded the republic for the early night burn (in this weather I'll be up around 2-3 for a reload). 72 in here and 6 out with a -5 windchill.

We're with ya Dix, no central heat here either-and the 100lb LP tank for the VF ran out so we're really running without backup. Got a 1500 watt heater going in the bedroom, dh is sick and low 60's was too cold.

dh is sick and low 60's was too cold.

you done with pellet? is the stove gone, I might can help with the stat if I know the system. Looking at where you guys are and knowing what the outside temps are its gotta be tough. sorry to hear about your spouse not feeling well (ben there still doing that) if I can help with the pellet stove i'd be glad to try

dix, if ya want to talk about it , let me know , we can kick it around , you know how I roll , I value friends more than I value sales. let me know, im a walking stove wiki

This, I will not forget . TY . ;)

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
you done with pellet? is the stove gone, I might can help with the stat if I know the system. Looking at where you guys are and knowing what the outside temps are its gotta be tough. sorry to hear about your spouse not feeling well (ben there still doing that) if I can help with the pellet stove i'd be glad to try

Thanks for the offer of help, but...

We've never had a pellet stove. I just can't get into the little furnace pot fire look. Figure if we ever can't haul wood we'll replace the wood stove with an LP DV stove, but for now we're rockin' a 3 year old republic 1750 (and maybe at some point, a Temco Hunter Cone Fireplace, lol). If we had gotten this place sealed up better by now we'd probably be heating into the mid-upper 70's easy with a 2.2 cu firebox in a bit under 700 sq ft, but we didn't. Hey, it was built as a summer cottage, I'm glad we have as few leaks as we do! Someone did convert it to year-round, probably in the 70s (I'm guessing after the long term female owner passed, her second husband moved here permenantly) so there was some insulation and storm windows. It's more fighting neglect now than anything, it was a flip, a rental, had an absentee owner (he lives in Long Island), been vacant...

The stove with the millivolt system is a NG DV stove. Lopi Heritage Bay (small) AKA Allegiance. The Thermocouple went out right after the last vortex event. Replaced it, and now the programmable thermostat and the stove need to go to counseling because they aren't always on speaking terms. We replaced the t-stat (exchange, since it's not that old) and it seemed ok, then earlier this week DH got a call that it they were arguing again. I am not really familiar with how these work but it seems that either the stove is cycling too much and not building enough voltage for the t-stat to run on because it's calling on it too often, or the stove is running more and not generating enough voltage (Don't know if it just generates voltage from the pilot or not). If they take the t-stat apart and jump the wires, the stove kicks right on, so it's def. a t-stat issue. Basically, the temp drops below where the t-stat is set at but it doesn't always kick on. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Same t-stat is hooked to another DV Ng stove upstairs, Lopi Berkshire, without the same issue.

Makes me appreciate the wood stove that much more. Put wood in, let it catch fire. Adjust air. Done and done!

Thanks, he'll be fine in a few days. I just hope I don't get it. Nothing fun about getting wood and feeding the stove when both of us are sick and it's this cold out.

Last edited:
Latest here is - 10F, plus wind chill.

I cranked the space heater to 65F.

Pay me now, or pay me later
Dix, you've got your own little microclimate over there in the Hollow. Good luck keeping warm tonight. I'm about to load up for the over night.

Dix, you've got your own little microclimate over there in the Hollow. Good luck keeping warm tonight. I'm about to load up for the over night.

I'm about ready to load 'er up ( the PE), for the over night, and then go inside and restock the 13. Should see it done.

The oil filled heater is @ 65 F in the kitchen, just to be on the safe side.

Brutal temps for here, damned brutal.

Nothing fun about getting wood and feeding the stove when both of us are sick and it's this cold out.

well, fingers are crossed hope he's up and about soon. being an addicted helper , was trying to do what do better than I do other things.
ya'll stay warm up there , temps im seeing from up there are scary cold

I'm about ready to load 'er up ( the PE), for the over night, and then go inside and restock the 13. Should see it done.

Careful your pipes don't freeze anywhere! Last vortex event our tub pipes froze because some intelligent person ran them up and into the attic..

Stay warm!!

you stay warm sweety, keep an eye on the hosses , my Dee love her horses, she looked over my shoulder a bit ago and saw you're avatar pic, said "awww shes gorgeous!

SAY IT AINT SO JOE! :( I gotta tell ya roy, I flat out miss woodburning. was miserable the whole time I was doing it , but if I could go back I would in a 'hearthbeat" pellet is fun in one way but more mundane , its being a "slave to the bag", instead of a "slave to the stack"

Had a pellet burner in the living room and although it sure was sweet having it on a digital thermostat, I don't miss it. The T6 does the job silently and has the mass to quietly keep the house warm when I come down in the morning. The fire view, well, there's no comparison.

well, fingers are crossed hope he's up and about soon. being an addicted helper , was trying to do what do better than I do other things.
ya'll stay warm up there , temps im seeing from up there are scary cold

Much obliged :)

you stay warm sweety, keep an eye on the hosses , my Dee love her horses, she looked over my shoulder a bit ago and saw you're avatar pic, said "awww shes gorgeous!

Tell Dee to hush it. Dix can hear her :)

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Status
Not open for further replies.