Yet another "Help me choose..." thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boojapho

Sep 24, 2015
Lynchburg, VA
Hi everyone! Been a lurker around here for my research on a wood stove. I've never had one before so I could use some help from the experts. I live in SW Virginia in a Queen Anne Victorian house built in 1903. Needless to say, the house is big, drafty, and has large ceilings (10'). I'd like to heat as much of the 3500 sqft house (2 floor) living space as possible to offset my horrendous heating bills from a gas boiler (which is new and efficient). And, I'd like to have a heat backup for my boiler. My chimney(s) are around 30' high, so I should get a good draft for the stove.

1) Would it be better to put the wood stove in the basement (non living space) where I can locate it more central to the house or put it on the 1st floor where it would be in a corner room of the house? The basement has about 1000 sq ft and another 800 of crawl space.
2) Am I dreaming when I think I can heat 80% of the house? Or is that doable? Should I be looking at a convection or radiating stove (or does it matter)?
3) I'm looking at stoves based on firebox size and aesthetics. My short list is Jotul F600, Jotul F55, Quadra-Fire Explorer III, Buck 94 (or 91), PE Alderlea T6, or a Breckwell SW940. All are around 3.0 cu.ft. fireboxes except the Buck (4.4 cu.ft.) and Breckwell (3.6 cu.ft.). On the forums, I couldn't find much on Breckwell. Any opinions on which ones I could eliminate off the short list? I know there are other options, but one requirement is that the aesthetics must somewhat blend with the historic nature of the house. The F600, Explorer, and T6 are aesthetically pleasing to me. The other 3 are OK, but not great. I'm having a hard time deciding if I sacrifice some looks for a larger firebox.

I've contacted one dealer locally and he was steering me towards an Equinox 8000 and Breckwell. My wife doesn't like the look of the Equinox, so we dropped it off the list. I contacted another dealer who sells Jotul and started asking about the two models above. I like the T6, but the closest dealer is 1 state away.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Definitely go with 3cft or larger. I would strongly recommend a radiant stove in your case. You may have too much heat loss from a convective stove with your house being drafty. In the end both types of stoves accomplish the same thing. But if your losing air out of the house, you may want objects to be heated first vice the air(radiant). I do not have any experience with those stoves so i will leave that to others.

I heat about 2200sqft with high slopibg ceilings from 22ft-15ft with a woodstock progress hybrid

All listed choices are great stoves, do you have an open floor plan?
Since you have a larger home I would advise to install the stove in your living space, main floor. To reduce drafts I would consider installing an oak (outside air connection) to the stove.
As for the (2) chimney's, what size are they, are you planning on installing a liner? Also check and make sure what the outlet size is on each of the stoves, some maybe 6" others maybe 8", you need to make sure that this will be compatible with your existing chimney.

Basement installs have varied success depending on the insulation of the basement walls and the effectiveness of moving the heat to where you want it which is not always easy. One way to assure the heat gets where you want it is to put the stove there in the first place.

Read up on basement installs here and decide if you think you're a candidate. Once you decide where and what the install will require (final chimney length etc) it may be easier to narrow down a stove. Until then picking could be all over the map. My personal preference is to have the unit where I hang out so I am able to enjoy the fire but if this is more about heat and saving money that becomes less of a priority.

All listed choices are great stoves, do you have an open floor plan?

On the 1st floor it is somewhat open. There are large pocket doors on the 1st floor that can be opened up between the main rooms. The kitchen is closed off and I will probably need supplemental heat there. The upstairs is a bit more tricky. I'm expecting a lot of heat to rise up the staircase. Once its up there I may need a fan or two to move it around to where I want. I do have transoms on all my upstairs doors. Hoping that will help if I open those to allow air flow.

As for the (2) chimney's, what size are they, are you planning on installing a liner?

The chimneys are old coal burning chimney. Small firebox, but the exit into and up the flue is large. I'll have to measure it to see if an 8" liner will fit. I will definitely have to use a full liner in the chimney. The flue is as old as the house and is brick/mortar (no liner). Unsafe to use without a liner.

I was leaning towards having the stove on the main floor, and I think the comments above have at least convinced me of that. If the stoves are all relatively close to each other, I may just choose based on looks and minimal hearth pad size.

Of the choices remaining I would opt for the Jotul F600 first, the F55 or the T6 second. Can't speak for the Quad Explorer yet, it's too new. However if you can locate its predecessor the Isle Royale on a dealer floor, go for it. That is a great stove and strongly radiant like the F600.

I think you'll want a heavy 316 stainless steel liner after the chimney is clean. Coal residue can be corrosive.

Welcome to the Forums! I used to live in Clifton Forge...so we were neighbors as a crow....maybe eagle flies? :)
I just installed a Buck 94 this past Spring. I have only done break-in burns with it so far, so I cannot give you any definitive information about how well it heats. It definitely cranked out some heat during the break-in burns, so I am pleased so far. I can say for the first time in years, I am looking forward to winter. I will be trying to heat 2200 sq' ft ranch home built in the early 70's.
You will need to have an 8" flue with the Buck. Can you do that?
I went with the 94 because I have to purchase most of my wood, most of my storage is outside, & I do not have room for a shed really or to store a lot of wood. Moisture content of my wood will always be an issue. If you have a place to store wood & you can keep the MC under 20%, go with a catalytic stove, like the 91.
Regardless, you have some good stoves on your list. What ever you purchase, if you do a good install, you will be pleased. The folks here on the forums will be a big help.

Status
Not open for further replies.