yet another `just in time' thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
Finished up a project that has been on my to-do list for a bit now. I have a deck over my downstairs door where I stored some wood last winter with a cobbled-together rack. That came down in the spring, and I made some sturdier ones. Just finished the third, and between the three of them I have enough storage space for two cords of split stacked wood at hand and under cover.

Had a delivery due yesterday of two cords of spruce that's been standing dead for three years (beetle-killed). Mid-day came and went with no call that they were leaving their town as scheduled. By six when I hadn't heard from them, I figured something had gone wrong in the woods. In the evening, I got a phone message saying that they had a tongue break on their trailer (bummer!) and they'd be here tomorrow (now today). It's pushing four and I haven't heard from them, but at least I have some racks if I ever get that wood. They also were interested in a little extra work, cutting wood to length for me. I have three piles, one of which was delivered too long for my stove, another that I paid for to be C/S/S, and came as 8' lengths and a promise (over a month ago), and another pile that someone had started working up from wood on my property and flaked out. I was really optimistic that yesterday was going to put a wrap on my wood worries for the winter. I am more hopeful at this point . . . or yearning . . . wistful . . .

The racks, though, are pretty cool. Designed to easily come down in the spring, and stash under another deck--they utilize the beams that hold up the deck to stabilize the end-pieces. It's going to be so nice to have wood racks. (Assuming I have wood to put in them.)

Well, here's hoping you don't end up having to burn the racks this season and start over in the Spring. :ahhh: I hope your wood comes soon!

That's a possibility that hadn't occurred to me. I'm down to about a week's worth cut and getting a little nervous here. Unfortunately, I let the person who cut wood on my property use my saw. It was returned in unusable condition, and needs work. May try to tackle this myself, in the end.

Still hoping for that delivery. It could happen. If you build them, it will come?

After the delivery on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday fizzled, the wood arrived today. Two full+ cords of spruce. My first experience burning spruce with this stove. I think it's going to be fine. Takes a lot of pressure off. And both of the sellers were charmed by the 1981 Toyota p.u. sitting in the driveway. We cut a deal to get some more wood worked up and my other truck fixed. And I had a couple of brothers come over who refurbish and sell and install Toyo and Monitor stoves. I cut another deal to get a small Toyo installed in my garage and a large Monitor installed in the sunroom of my house, hopefully in the next few days.

What a slog this has been! But it looks like I have an affordable and economical solution to heating my house.

snowleopard said:
After the delivery on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday fizzled, the wood arrived today. Two full+ cords of spruce. My first experience burning spruce with this stove. I think it's going to be fine. Takes a lot of pressure off. And both of the sellers were charmed by the 1981 Toyota p.u. sitting in the driveway. We cut a deal to get some more wood worked up and my other truck fixed. And I had a couple of brothers come over who refurbish and sell and install Toyo and Monitor stoves. I cut another deal to get a small Toyo installed in my garage and a large Monitor installed in the sunroom of my house, hopefully in the next few days.

What a slog this has been! But it looks like I have an affordable and economical solution to heating my house.

look at you... wheelin and dealin! I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.