Yipee I saved money on my heating bill!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlotte987

Jan 6, 2015
Just got my electric bill yesterday, using the fisher and the kitchen belanger saved me around three hundred dollars for three months. That's a lot.

This is such good news, its been a cold winter here. I'm dancing to this:

Question: How much do you estimate you've saved per month burning wood, pellets or gas?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dix
I do not save that much..perhaps $50 a month. Electricity is cheap in Quebec.

So you're even cooking with wood? That is fun. And hot!!

What province do you live in?

Andrew

Looking on Fortis BC web-site, it appears we are using 1/4 the gas compaired to the previous 2 year. Nice.

Reactions: Swedishchef
With heating oil @ $4 a gallon, I was saving $1000 - $800 a month ( US ).

With oil @ $2.50 a gallon, I'm still saving.

Good for you !!

I do not save that much..perhaps $50 a month. Electricity is cheap in Quebec.

So you're even cooking with wood? That is fun. And hot!!

What province do you live in?

Andrew

I now know the true meaning of "cooking over a hot stove" It's enjoyable, and it seems awful to waste all that heat when it can be used productively. Using an oven thermometer and getting used to the fluctuations in temperature, means baking things that cook quickly. My Grandmother taught me many years ago and it reminds me of her when I do it. I roasted a small organic chicken today, and it turned out well, crisp skin, moist white meat, perfectly cooked dark meat. It never comes out that well in an electric oven. The taste was exceptional, so I now know the secret to the perfect roast chicken!

Last edited:
If we had to heat our house with just oil, I am pretty sure it would take around 5 fills of our 200 gallon tank to get through the winter. As of now, I have enough wood in the basement for this winter, and enough stacked in my yard for the next 2 after that.

Not sure of the impact on just the electric bill though. I think our electric water heaters costs about $25/mo to run, and the wood covers that too. Electric bills are right around $100/mo, usually just under, at 0.18/kwh, when not using it for DHW.

I really don't know because we did a lot to the house in 2014 and in addition to insulating/air sealing, that included scrapping the old oil boiler in lieu of a direct vented LP boiler. The new boiler sure hasn't been running very much since 12/20/14 though. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.