You are richer than you think.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snobuilder

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2021
WI
This bundle was light as a feather....

16444178827504668641930354776747.jpg

Reactions: clancey
lol - I read the title and thought, "This isn't going to be about selling half-green cordwood at 8 bucks for a tiny bag, is it?!?" ...And sure enough, it is! lol

I think someone calculated out the cubic feet in one of those bags vs the price and it was about 3-4x the going rate for cordwood. Could always be an interesting side hustle!

BUT, BUT BUT....it's Certified by the WI firewood dealer assn.!!...LOL.....certified junk wood....LOL

I could almost justify the price if it was a decent hardwood.

Yea when we took our trip to Grand Junction all the smaller 7 and eleven and stores like that had those bundles outside and I at first thought it was just one log and thought: "You got to be kidding"--The price was 8.99 for 6 so called logs for burning in the mountains and I actually saw a person buy one as I drank my soda in the car...They get the price too with their ski holidays as they enjoy their condo"s....rows and rows of them--very pretty ones too for sking...clancey

Reactions: GadDummit
Similar to the price of nail polish. Imagine that by the gallon! Packaging is unbelievable!

Reactions: D8Chumley
A family living down the road from a local campground here has piles of wood they heat with and sell to campers coming in for the weekend. The family cuts and splits by hand, no chain saws. Made more than me servicing the RV’s!

The County Weatherization Program set a bunch of smoke bombs of some sort off in their attic for bats and burned their house down. New home, without needing to heat with wood anymore. Now they only sell it. Our tax dollars at work.

I did the math out a while ago. Here's a link the the thread. The bottom #s correlate to a guy down the st selling bundles of maple he cut for $20.

Screenshot_20220209-115044_Chrome.jpg

Gosh I would fill a 1/4 of a load in a pick up truck and camp by a camping grounds maybe asking the convenience store owner inside the camping ground if you could sell a few bundles and just sit there and enjoy all the campers for a few hours maybe bring the family and have some hot dogs or something--You people worked hard for it why not sell a bundle or two for the college fund..clancey

To be clear those bundles in most states need to be run through a kiln to kill off and bugs in them. The price is still rediculous but selling that way does require quite an investment.

Reactions: Riff
a retired guy down the road here sells wood from his property, most of it is dam'good oak, on occasion he's got small limbs of black walnut.
i bought some of that from him just to smell it burn.
his price is good too, 5 bucks for a generous bundle.

That's true and if people would invest in a kiln dried wood dryer maybe they could sell the wood for even more...Investment is needed like you say but with all that wood that some have in their wood piles I would start today...lol Glad I am no younger for I would be investigating this idea but this is before my skin rash...lol But I can see a business a small one for extra money and even with delivery of some kind...clancey

There is a company near us that sells bundles like that to box stores. They were a log home company that went out of business. They now have several processors and use the old kilns to heat treat the firewood so it can be shipped.

Nothing like a Pennsylvanian to figure out what to do with the wood. I bought my first batch of kiln dried oak wood 18 inch size split and it was wonderful wood and dry too-10-12% but you need to deal with good people and know what the wood is or where it came from and mine was shipped from GA and never had no problem and I sincerely regret now that I mixed it with a mixed and not knowing about the 2nd batch coming from my state and I think that is the wood that caused the problems for me..When the first batch of wood coming from Ga was at my driveway--the strap broke holding it and I had to run across the street to get a neighbor to help--thank goodness they were home--between a rock and a hard place too heavy to move around and the delivery person was trapped but we fixed it...Beautiful wood by the way....I paid extra for it was my very first burn...When I get this wood moved out I will work on the problem but to tell you the truth I just hate to see it go but its necessary at this time...when it warm I am okay but when it gets cold I look at my wonderful stove wishing that I could throw a few logs in but time will tell and this will work out and I am going to get my stove installer to clean it out real good and see what I am up against with buying another type of wood---the paper kind or whatever--I will check that out and be burning again---not this year for I need to get over my problem--terrible--so now I am fooling with plants and sort of enjoying it in a small way,,,,clancey

Reactions: snobuilder
My neighbor brought a few bundles to burn in the firepit when we first moved in. It's just amazing how fast they burn versus regular cordwood. You may as well just light your money on fire. Similar burn times. ;lol

Yea that's what I am thinking but I love the ambiance of it all and I am thinking on this..I just called up my stove installer and will make a appointment to clean out my stove real good and I will ask him about this and let you all know what he says--wonderful family man hard working like you all . The stove does look "pretty" sitting there but I want to use it...thanks clancey

Reactions: Dan Freeman
more like inkjet cartridges

Ya know, earlier in the season I bought like 10 bags of Simple Simon mixed hardwood from Lowes. Felt funny pushing that through the store. Burned beautifully, smelled amazing, but burnt too quickly. After about an hour you’d have it down to coals. I sifted through a million bags hand picking them to get the largest logs. They’re really good to get fires started and kind of worth the price IMO, $7.98 a bag, but obviously not sustainable price wise at all.

A company out east from me sells a cord of kiln dried for $500 delivered (it seems legit). Much more affordable than these bags lol. Father in law has oak seasoning but won’t be ready for at least another year.

$500 for a cord just makes me cringe! I mean around here for legit kiln dried hardwood that is a good price if I really needed wood in a pinch. But at that cost I'd probably just run the heater.

I can get 5 cords of A+ hardwood dropped in my driveway for $300-$400. I enjoy the process and the satisfaction of the savings/doing it myself. It does require a lot of time, effort, tools, and space though and not everyone is capable of that.

$500 for a cord just makes me cringe! I mean around here for legit kiln dried hardwood that is a good price if I really needed wood in a pinch. But at that cost I'd probably just run the heater.

I can get 5 cords of A+ hardwood dropped in my driveway for $300-$400. I enjoy the process and the satisfaction of the savings/doing it myself. It does require a lot of time, effort, tools, and space though and not everyone is capable of that.
They also sell seasoned and unseasoned wood that’s substantially cheaper. We have no shortage of landscape supply places around here that sell seasoned wood that clearly isn’t seasoned for like $120-$245 a pallet. Gonna have to do some research before I buy.

They also sell seasoned and unseasoned wood that’s substantially cheaper. We have no shortage of landscape supply places around here that sell seasoned wood that clearly isn’t seasoned for like $120-$245 a pallet. Gonna have to do some research before I buy.
Would you be able to handle log length delivery? It's the most cost effective method outside of felling/scrounging yourself and you get to control split length yourself. It's a lot of physical work though.

If have the space but no time/can't do the physical work buying green would be the next best option ableit still much more expensive. Buy enough for 2-3 years, stack it, and let it season. Get thru the next 1-2 years buying ready to use stuff then you only need to worry about replenishing as you go cause you'll be 2 years ahead.

Would you be able to handle log length delivery? It's the most cost effective method outside of felling/scrounging yourself and you get to control split length yourself. It's a lot of physical work though.

If have the space but no time/can't do the physical work buying green would be the next best option ableit still much more expensive. Buy enough for 2-3 years, stack it, and let it season. Get thru the next 1-2 years buying ready to use stuff then you only need to worry about replenishing as you go cause you'll be 2 years ahead.
Me personally, no. Just don’t have the time or resources currently. My father in law has a splitter at his property and he takes on full logs/trunks straight from the tree companies. Hoping to get some of that in a year or so, he only started doing that.