You buck this wood and I'll let you have some of it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnoldnorth

Dec 11, 2013
Wallingford, CT
I have more wood than I can handle. I'm getting quotes from two different tree services today. If they aren't great deals I will open this up to you guys in CT. If you buck this for me so I can split I'll let you have some of it. Sound like a fair deal? I have to be home though so we can agree on everything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 404
A list of wood species may help you too. I can't identify anything from the pic you posted. If you do have higher btu woods there, it should garner more interest. It might also help if you post more pics with close ups of the bark and end grain.

What is it worth to have access to your garage? ;)

If all I had to do was buck it in place (no moving or cleanup) and you were my neighbor, I'd saw it just for the fun of it for a couple cold ones. Again, that's what I'd do for my neighbor--well, the ones that I like.

At first blush, it looks like silver maple to me.

To me it looks like silver maple, red oak and cherry. How did all that big wood end up in your little driveway?

Follow up I picked up a Stihl MS 391 today with a yellow Stihl chain and motomix. I was worried the other day because my echo locked up. That's why my post seemed desperate. The quote I got from a tree service pushed me to get another saw. Love this new saw!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 173
I'm splitting by hand and yes I'm going short splits so I can move them by hand. This saw is so much stronger than my previous one. I've learned so much on these forums. Thank you guys!

Noodling can come in handy. Smaller saws generally are more prone to having noodles clog under the clutch cover. This can be avoided by holding the saw at an angle to make noodles shorter. You'll get the hang of it after a couple cuts. As an added bonus, those noodles make a great fire starter.

And be mindful of where the bar tip is so as to avoid kickback.

did the tree company stack the wood like that? it looks like they just dumped it out. When my supplier drops off the wood they stack it in a nice neat rows.

Congrats on the new saw. With that new saw you can do the wood now.

The bucks look pretty short, is that so you can carry them?
See above "I picked up a Stihl MS 391 today with a yellow Stihl chain and motomix…"
Nuff said? ;)

I'm splitting by hand and yes I'm going short splits so I can move them by hand. This saw is so much stronger than my previous one. I've learned so much on these forums. Thank you guys!

Rounds are rather easy to roll. You shouldn't need to cut that short. It is easier rolling ones cut to 16" or 18" than picking up the short ones. That looks like a lot of oak which even at 16-18" ought to be easily dispatched with your fiskars. If any don't want to crack with the fiskars a maul should do the trick. Crotches being the exception. If that wood was free and you can dump the unsplitables easily it can be easier to do just that. Junk what isn't easy to split and call up for another load.

You have some nice looking wood and now a nice saw too! What you save by heating with wood will pay for the saw quickly!

That is a nice score......If I lived near by I would have jumped on your offer. Or as tree pointer said, if you were my friend/neighbor, I would do it for a couple cold ones.

Follow up: I am working my way through this load of wood. I now have Stihl chaps as well as the forestry helmet. I also ordered the woodeze 7 ton splitter today. My goal is to get all this processed and stacked by July 4th. I'll try longer cuts now that I know I'll be able to split them. Here's some work from last weekend. And no that's not next to my house it's a super old nasty detached garage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.