1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

You have to feel good...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Beetle-Kill, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    You have to feel good, when you check the mail sometimes. I just recieved a letter from the propane co., reminding me that my tank needs filling, "according to their records". I sent it back, with a "Don't call me, I'll call you." message. Thanks to my stove, I'll only have to have my propane topped off, next Sept., mabey. Happy New Year to all.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lazeedan

lazeedan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    I always enjoy watching them deliver to my neighbors.
  3. hareball

hareball Member

Loc:
    Jersey shore/pines
    2 mild days here so I'm shut down to clean out and conserve a little wood but every time I went out for a few splits yesterday I could hear the gas flowing through the meter on the neighbors house. My Oil furnace is kicking on every hour though.....Come on cold snap!!!
  4. heatwise

heatwise Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    ohio
    keeping the bill low is the reward for all those hours spent cutting, splitting ,stacking. happy new year and keep warm, pete
  5. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    My neighbors have a power vent on their oil burner. I hear it kick on just about every time I'm outside doing something. It gives me particular pleasure when I'm out there splitting, stacking, or gathering wood to know that I'm avoiding the oil burn rate that they are experiencing. I just wish I could convince them of the benefits of wood and reduce the number of oil burners by one more...
  6. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Hareball, I see you're burnin' a Fisher. Have you considered a secondary-air mod.? I have a Fisher knock-off( Timberline), that has responded well to the addition of the extra air. This is tough to describe, but the previous owners of the stove,(and the house), used to go through 8-12 cords per winter heating season. As of today, I expect to hit May/1/2010 with about 6.75 cords utilized. Not more than 7.25 cords. I'm totally fudgin', 'cause I've only used just over 2 cord, since Sept.( mind you- that's 24/7 burnin'), but that covers the "hot, orange thing", that the Timberline replaced.(someday, I'll post a picture) Search posts by- WES999, Pen, & glfporshe, Do the mod's, it will be worth it.
  7. hareball

hareball Member

Loc:
    Jersey shore/pines
    I'd like to get a newer model EPA stove for the second hearth. I do like the baffle idea but for the fisher I kinda like it's simplicity and the ability to keep a nice hot and clean pipe. I'd say my total pipe length is around 16'-18' Insulated from the attic to cap.
  8. WES999

WES999 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mass north of Boston
    I know what you mean, my last oil delevery was 6 mo ago, tank was about 1/2 full, I just checked and I have only used about 1/8 of that. My furnace is set to 58 °F, it will only run if it is really cold.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

:lol:

Me too. We live on a dead end road and have a home not far from us on the opposite side of the road. After he fills that tank, he always turns around in our driveway. I smile and say a nice, "Thank you, Lord."

Knowing he won't have to drive that truck up our driveway and that I don't have to worry about paying a big propane bill is worth a lot. Besides, this way I stay much warmer.

Another way I look at things is that I cut wood from our own place and what I could be paying to the propane dealer instead goes to pay some land taxes instead. The rest goes into the bank.
  10. agartner

agartner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern NH
    My propane boiler has one of those power vents too. I can hear it kick on in the kitchen. I really didn't burn that often last year and it seemed like that vent was running 24x7. This year though I've been really working the stove and about the only time that vent will come on is when someone in the house takes a shower.

And yes, it feels good. It feels real good!

Happy New year!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.