1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

You Were Expecting This, Weren't You?! (Tell The Truth)

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by soupy1957, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logger

logger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pine Barrens, NJ
    A very good splitting axe brand.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. logger

logger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pine Barrens, NJ
    Thanks. Now we're all confused. Where did this rant come from??
  3. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Loc:
    SoCal Southern Sierras
    +1 on the plumbers torch!! I saw my father-in-law doing that and tried it out. Really takes the fiddling around out of starting a pile of kindling. Small Bernzo-matic propane torch; cylinders are about $4. Have not emptied one yet, this year. Burn 24/7 because we have no other "real" heat source.

4. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    well, first elmoleaf said "If I were rich, I probably wouldn’t bother with a woodstove" and then slyferret said "If I were rich, I’d have one hell of a wood shed, a few really nice saws, a brand new splitter, a nice big trailer and a 3500HD Diesel to pull it with. Oh yeah… and I’d own a few hundred acres of my own land to supply me with wood." and that last part was a response to that.

at one point wet1 said "Get a BKK, it takes most if the indoor hassle and work out of heating with a wood stove. Load it once or twice a day and walk away… Seriously." which is funny because people always get advice here on what they should use and buy, EVEN WHEN THEY DIDN'T ASK FOR THAT ADVICE. I always get a kick out of that, and participate plenty in the bad habit, so this was my lame attempt at making a joke at our forum's expense.
  5. OilNoMore

OilNoMore Member

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, NY
    I think the consensus is that most people don't look at a woodstove as work at all, we in fact take delight in it. Personally, I like every single part of burning: stacking wood, cutting wood (admittedly I buy most of it C&S), loading wood, cleaning the chimney, taking ash out, inspecting it when I shut it down. Now I'll readily admit that my enthusiasm is likely backed by a renewed interest in saving money. I hated burning wood as a kid when my father looked at the indoor stack, saw it was nearly empty and said, "boys get your coats on, we need wood."

I think, as many have voiced, that there is something to be said about the role your 'routine' or set up has on your level of enjoyment with burning wood. If you have go out behind the garage and haul it in two pieces at a time every few hours, of course you'll hate it. If you can set up your property, home and wood loading system in a comfortable manner, I think you'll find you enjoy it more.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.