Your favorite splitting axe/maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chopp056

Dec 17, 2015
Virginia
I have read a few threads about the fiskars but looking for comparison to some other axes or mauls. I busted my grandads old maul last year and at the time just ran up to harbor freight to grab a 8# maul. Been using this for about a year as I said an just not happy with it. I understand you get what you pay for in most cases and it was under 20 bucks I believe. The edge is just too fat and I feel this thing makes me work twice as hard. I get a fair amount of bounce and partial splits and Im not exactly a small guy swinging this thing even targeting the grain on the rounds. Anyways just looking to hear what you use and how you like it. $100 for the stihl axe seems expensive but wouldnt mind hearing some personal experience with it, fiskars or anyting else

Have an older maul that I re-hafted. Cleaned up the head and put a bit of an edge on it. Not a believer in the idea that dull mauls are better. Since I brought it back from the dead I really like it and it works good. And my Fiskar's out performs it in almost every way.

I've got a maul that was given to me by my dad. It's got a triangular shaped wedge head on it and I'm guessing it weighs somewhere around 15 pounds. Metal handle. I think I've heard some people call it a monster maul. That's my go to.

Reactions: Fishnuts2
I think the profile on the Stihl is a little fat. The Husqvarna (made by Hultafors) is a narrower, easier splitting design for about the same money. I have one and it's a great tool. The Fiskars users here outnumber the rest probably 2:1 and there's good reason for that. It's the value champion. Handy to throw in the truck or whatever, the plastic handle doesn't care about moisture. If none of those do it for you perhaps you'd like the Council Tool stuff. It's reasonably priced and made in the United States.

I like the Wilton bash 8 lb maul goes through anything can be used to hit wedges, and handle is supposed to be unbreakable. Plus if it does break you get $1000. It's a big hammer but does an awesome job. Cost is about $120 but look it never breaks, and if it does you are covered.

Reactions: bad news
I haven't used any other "premium" brands, but compared to the box-store mauls and other splitting devices the Fiskars is hands-down, without a shadow of a doubt, the winner. Less work, less fatigue, easier to aim, doesn't stick in the wood, and best of all, it gets results (wood splits) much faster and easier.

I haven't used any other "premium" brands, but compared to the box-store mauls and other splitting devices the Fiskars is hands-down, without a shadow of a doubt, the winner. Less work, less fatigue, easier to aim, doesn't stick in the wood, and best of all, it gets results (wood splits) much faster and easier.
+1 to that. Night and day difference over my old, heavy, and remarkably ineffectual maul.

I have a 6lb, an 8lb and a fiskars 27 and I like the 8lb maul the best. Don't know what brand it is or where it came from, only that I got it from my dad. It has a hickory 36" wood handle. And I split all my wood by hand.

There was a great review here way back on a couple Helkos which I ended up trying, the Scandinavian axe and the heavy splitter. Also have a fairly generic 8# maul. I like the X27 the best by far.

IMG_8324-500_zpsmg6ccsin.jpg

I like the Wilton bash 8 lb maul goes through anything can be used to hit wedges, and handle is supposed to be unbreakable. Plus if it does break you get $1000. It's a big hammer but does an awesome job. Cost is about $120 but look it never breaks, and if it does you are covered.

I hadn't heard of these and looked it up. It is a pretty good looking tool - the not too wide and blunt. Six and eight pound heads with 30" and 36" handles:

http://www.wiltontools.com/us/en/c/...litting-mauls/W420?Series=spltmaul&reset=true

Perhaps someone who wants a Fiskars-style tool with a heavier head would like this.

As someone who has many many axes and mauls, you can't beat the Fiskars Products. When I want to experiment or have a job outside of the normal task range, I have a whole bunch of my own project axe/maul creations but at the end of the day, I usually reach for my Fiskars tools.

The nice thing about the Wilton is you can use it to split with its edge or use it to drive wedges. The head is a very strong steel I have even hit a wedge that was stuck in a piece of wood with the edge and it dented the wedge not the maul edge. Everyone has something that they eventually find and like. I figured for the money how bad could it be plus if you break you get paid. So I use it hard I pretty much try to destroy it. Never tried the fiskars but it seems popular as long as it splits wood I like it.

Ok well fiskars ordered, hardware store was out of them

Meant to post this up prior but didn't have the pic handy. The two Helko axes plus my 8 lb maul and Fiskarks...

IMG_8287-1200.JPG

Reactions: pen
I have no complaints with my fiskars x27

Meant to post this up prior but didn't have the pic handy. The two Helko axes plus my 8 lb maul and Fiskarks...
Couldn't help but notice the Helkos look brand new while the X27 and maul are pretty beat up--do you not use the Helkos very much, or do you just take extra good care of them?

That was the day I first got them out, they were brand new.

Best I've found yet:
6 lb Council Tools (NC, US of A) maul with 34" handle, can be had from Baileys for ~$26
6.6 lb Mueller maul (Austria) from TraditionalWoodWorker For $155
5 lb Wetterlings also very good- Scandinavian design.

Tiny bit of touch-up near the edge of the Council maul, and it's ready for duty.

All above are way better than common cheapies. Wish I'd discovered Council's earlier. Yes, I've tried fiskars.
The above can be used to pound on steel wedges a/r.

A 30" handle is not long enough for a splitting tool. Even 36" is a on the short side but has become the norm.
Once upon a time the longest Fiskars was 28", then the X-series came along and added a 36".

IMHO, 36" is too long, 28" is just a tad short. I've been splitting for years now with my 28" Fiskars and I think the perfect length would be 30-32"... just my opinion.

i have a 4.5lb fiberglass handled one from the Big Box store. I really don't like it. I put a new edge on it, and it seems like every other swing the head gets stuck. I don't know if it is the axe, the technique, or the stringy box elder.....

my 8# maul went walking off a while ago, as did my sledge hammer, so I am hoping that one of these days they come walking back, or I get an X27 for my birthday next week (its def. on the list!)

Once upon a time the longest Fiskars was 28", then the X-series came along and added a 36".

IMHO, 36" is too long, 28" is just a tad short. I've been splitting for years now with my 28" Fiskars and I think the perfect length would be 30-32"... just my opinion.
For a primary splitting maul? Maybe if you are very short that would be appropriate. I would recommend a longer one for someone in excess of 6 feet tall though.

For a primary splitting maul? Maybe if you are very short that would be appropriate. I would recommend a longer one for someone in excess of 6 feet tall though.
For what reason? Longer = less head velocity plain and simple...

For splitting on a block there is no reason to go over 36" even for somebody in excess of 6' tall. I'm 5'11" and find the X-27 is too long and "gangly" and ultimately takes more work splitting because I can't get the needed head velocity. 28" OTOH, is a bit short, there is a risk of shin/foot injury if you don't make good contact with the wood. In my numerous years using my 28" I've never had a problem with this but I would prefer just a couple more inches.

For what reason? Longer = less head velocity plain and simple...

For splitting on a block there is no reason to go over 36" even for somebody in excess of 6' tall. I'm 5'11" and find the X-27 is too long and "gangly" and ultimately takes more work splitting because I can't get the needed head velocity. 28" OTOH, is a bit short, there is a risk of shin/foot injury if you don't make good contact with the wood. In my numerous years using my 28" I've never had a problem with this but I would prefer just a couple more inches.
We discussed this on a recent forum but to re-visit. Yes, a longer lever arm will result in a lower head velocity, unless you have the practice and strength to swing it faster. I don't care how fast you swing a 28" splitting maul, there is a maximum reasonable velocity. Once you get to that point, increasing the length of the lever arm and weight will be beneficial if you can over time attain that same maximum velocity. No matter how quickly you swing a 28" maul, it simply will not have the mass or torque to get through some larger splits.

That being said, there is only so long a maul that one can reasonably handle at a given height. I would not recommend the same splitting axes and mauls I use for beginners or shorter individuals. In addition, I actually do have some shorter 26-30" splitting mauls. I built them especially for when I am splitting in inclement weather under one of my carports/wood storage areas. They are great because I can clear the roof with them but I can certainly say that the results I have are far inferior to my longer and heavier splitting tools.

So i sharpened my splitting axe again, and also split some of the fresher stuff, and it seemed to do a better job. It seems like the sweet spot is less than 12" dia for what I am doing.

Took me about 2 hours to split and stack the second stack from the left.
20160123_154758.jpg