1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Your favorite wood to burn

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by cogger, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cogger

cogger Member

Rock Maple here.... Oak, birch... basicly all the hardwood classes..... Kiln dried cherry is the balls. You can even cook on a open fire with that stuff

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    After all the work it takes to split ELM i just LOVE to burn that stuff + most elm trees are ugly anyway . :lol:

Its hard to have 1 favorite wood as it take many kinds of wood mix to make good fires during the year.

One year i tried to burn all OAK ......... it was a good idea in theory but dont work very well burning 24/7 to heat your home.

Oak , Elm , Hackbarry , Mulberry , Locust , Hedge (Osage Orange) , Hickory . I like to burn some hard wood and mid range wood .
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Free wood
  4. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    We have about a cord of apple..I pretty much save it for below zero or single digits..It has its own row in the shed..The odd shaped pieces are great for late afternoon early evening..A full round or two at night...love the way it burns.
  5. BikeMedic2709

BikeMedic2709 New Member

Loc:
    North-Central Ohio
    BeGreen beat me to it...Free wood is the best.
    But, for the most part I will burn anything that I can set on fire!
  6. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    What do you mean? I love burning Oak 24/7, works great for me.
  7. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    The oak probably ran you out with too much heat!

My favorite wood to burn is hedge - the ultimate btu content makes me feel good knowing that every log I cut is getting me the most heat for the work. I like burning oak, but always have a slight bit of remorse thinking how good and juicy a steak would be if I had used the wood in the grill as opposed to the insert.

Corey
  8. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    Oak. Lots of it and it's free except for my labor.
  9. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    What the heck kind of oak were you burning? If it wasn't for oak here, we'd be pretty cold depending on jackpine and the occasional cherry!
  10. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Freewood , preferably delivered by a local tree service.
  11. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Free, dry, cut, split tree...
  12. BikeMedic2709

BikeMedic2709 New Member

Loc:
    North-Central Ohio
    Good one griz! We are on the same page!
  13. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    HaHAha! Dylan said "FOREST" ..........This is Kansas and Nebraska ...........Forest would described a field of corn maybe .... :lol:

The common place for Hedge (Osage Orange) is from "Hedge rows" as we have around here in the Mid-West . A lot of Hedge rows around farms and field's but have to fight with the farmers over it because it make a life time fence post.

Had to be careful with Hedge with the older stoves as it got SUPER HOT if you had an out of control fire.
    Hedge in as fire place .......Forget it , too many sparks.

Hedge is at the very top of the list for BTU''s tho. Last listing i seen was rated at 33 mbtu /cord.

http://www.nfs.unl.edu/NFSPUBS/FuelwoodSpecs.pdf

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1016/is_3_106/ai_65774772

http://hedgeapple.com/
  14. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Dogwood!!!!

So hard that a sharp chisel chain wants to bounce off of it while bucking.
  15. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Shows the same BYU value as oak.
    Dogwood 27. mBTU/cord

Thats your favorite wood ? How's it split ???
  16. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Franklin Ma
    I have to say red oak. Cuts and splits good and burns great. And I get it all for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. got wood?

got wood? New Member

Loc:
    Acton, MA
    That brings up a point I'm curious about...how many folks feed their fires full rounds for long burns? I always use splits (some pretty big ones, but splits none the less) because I don't have seasoned rounds laying around...always gets split. Full rounds makes sense to me for long burns, I just never do it. And I don't count 4" diameter branches and bramble as `rounds'...
  18. brian_in_idaho

brian_in_idaho New Member

Loc:
    Jewel Lake (Sagle), Idaho
    Tamarack (aka Western Larch) here. It doesn't have the heat content of a hardwood, but it's as good as it gets around here. Besides, it splits lke a dream

Bri
  19. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Not sure how Dogwood tested the same as oak. You never split dogwood because its impossible, and it rarely gets over 8-10 inches in diameter. These trees grow very slow.

Lots of Dogwoods died of some disease that came through a fews years back. Thought I would try burning it since I was cutting the dead out anyway. To my surprise, burning a couple of 6 inches rounds lasted a long time, rarely flamed, and resembled lit charcoal. Not the kind of wood you go out and get, but if I run into a dead standing one, its a treat for the coldest nights. When they die, they stand for years without decay.
  20. jabush

jabush Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Howard County, MD
    I have to say regular Apple. I had maybe a face cord last year and burned it early in the season. Gave off excellent heat and lasted a good bit despite my newbie stove operation. Also smelled really good!!
    I also burned a Fl. dogwood that was standing dead. DBH was maye 8". Even though the rounds were small, it was a bear to split and it also burned very well. Most dogwoods around here that are declining have gotten a virus called anthracnose. You can't cure it, only slow it down by trimming the deadwood as it appears. Keep your pruning saws clean as it can spread.
  21. michaelthomas

michaelthomas New Member

I heard from a stove sales guy that burning all northern red oak would eventually corrodde my stove because of the high acid content of the wood? Is this true or was he just trying to sell me on the biobrick he gave me a free sample of. I have a-lot of red oak to burn and I have never heard of a wood being high in acid content. Confirm please. I love to burn it, it is my favorite wood as I got 3 cord free and it burns all night. Kind of a pain to wait for it to dry 2 years, but it is worth it.
  22. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    You better go with the Bio- bricks and stay away from the red oak .......

Where are you located so i can come pick up all that "bad red oak"? :lol:
  23. got wood?

got wood? New Member

Loc:
    Acton, MA
    if you don't mind the piss oak...errrr red oak stink, then burn it...it's a great heater!
  24. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    My pre-EPA stove has been digesting five cords of red and white oak a year for twenty-one years. Mostely red. No corrosion yet. Tell him to take two bio-bricks with a large glass of water and call you in the moring (edited-morning).
  25. Dave_1

Dave_1 New Member

And my pre EPA heater (see signature) also has been digesting red & white oak with no signs of corrosion.

So I concur with BB's medical advice, expect for this disclaimer:

Its mourning, not "moring", for he is definitely going to be mourning, BB. :lol:

Dave
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.