Yurt Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like to "out" people, but its a company who makes small stoves designed to be portable/camping stoves, which is what I am using. I can PM you the company if you are interested.

The piece at the top is a 4 in to 6 in increaser. The chimney pipe adapter would attach to the increaser.

I was a bit worried about the Zinc outgassing, so I did a bit of research and came to mixed conclusions. Though most said it is very unlikely to happen as Zinc doesn't boil until 1600 deg F.

If you feel adamant that my current setup isn't sufficient or safe I will find a way to get new pipe and adapters.

Thanks,

Ryan

Cool article!! Nearly everyone I told about my plans to build a yurt were skeptical, but once they saw it complete were instantly enamored and want one.

Ryan

I have been doing more research. It seems that the evidence leans towards galvanized pipe as not radically off gassing zinc, but the common opinion is that they do off gas enough to cause harm.

But I found some black stove pipe on sale at Tractor Supply. So I may go with that. Though is black stove pipe just painted galvanized pipe?

Thoughts?

Black stove pipe is steel painted, no galvanizing.

Replace the pipe. This is why I asked the question in post 18. It will continue to outgas for quite a while. You don't want that anywhere near something that is living (you).

I have had the stove installed for a couple days now. Starting to get a feel for it. However, my flashing setup isn't that great. Could I stuff the inside of the roof ring with some rock wool insulation? It would definitely help keep heat in, and maybe a little bit of water out. I have searched this forum and it seems that I can, I just wanted to run it by you guys before I did so.

Thanks,

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.