ZC fireplace draft problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dforster2

Mar 2, 2014
Oklahoma
Our stove is a Napoleon fireplace insert we had installed 4 years ago. It has never drafted perfect and seems a little worse, but could be just that we've used it so much more and it's been colder and windier this year. We've never been able to leave the doors open all the time, especially when it's breezy at all, smoke comes inside when we start the fire and when we open the doors to add wood. Just looking for some ideas to try.

Some details are, at least 25' of 8" stove pipe as specified by the manufacturer. The pipe terminates about 2' above the chimney chase which is right at the peak of our roof. It is installed inside the chimney chase and I think the chase is insulated and lined with cement board all around but can't remember for sure. No trees within 100 feet.

This model also has an outdoor intake. We've had the chimney cleaned and it still is just as bad. Sometimes if it's especially windy smoke will go thru door gasket where it doesn't seal as tight, like at the center where there is not gasket.

I tend to think with the very steep pitch on our roof the wind might be blowing out of the north and right up the roof pitch and creating some forceful down drafts at the peak. When there's no fire I can sometimes open the doors and feel cold gusts of wind blowing down. It's also so tall that it's probably always windy up there. And it's Oklahoma where we almost always have some strong breeze.

We have a common spark arresting chimney cap. I've considered getting one of those vacu-stack caps. Or a directional wind cap.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Which model Napoleon fireplace is this? It could be the chimney location. A vacu-stack may help. Where is the chimney located in relation to the house and prevailing winds?

Which model Napoleon fireplace is this? It could be the chimney location. A vacu-stack may help. Where is the chimney located in relation to the house and prevailing winds?

I think it is the bigger model, maybe nz6000.

The roof peak runs E-W (tall gable with chase is facing west) so the north wind sweeps up the roof pitch towards the chimney cap. It's maybe a 14/12 pitch.

The chimney location doesn't sound bad. Seems like you are getting downdrafts caused by the wind. On those rare calm days does the fireplace perform better? If that is the case The Vacu-Stack cap is designed to reduce this problem. But with those huge doors and an 8" flue I'm not sure if you will ever be able to burn with the doors open.

The chimney location doesn't sound bad. Seems like you are getting downdrafts caused by the wind. On those rare calm days does the fireplace perform better? If that is the case The Vacu-Stack cap is designed to reduce this problem. But with those huge doors and an 8" flue I'm not sure if you will ever be able to burn with the doors open.

Yes it definitely works better on very calm days. There just aren't many calm days. And even better if I get a nice roaring fire with good seasoned wood. On calm days with perfect wood and hot fire I can leave the door open some. The wood I've had lately hasn't been seasoned as much as I like. I just wish it weren't so sensitive. We had a real fireplace in our old house with a huge opening and big chimney and it always drafted good no matter what.

So it sounds like you are saying that the larger 8" flue and big doors will not draft as good? I figured the opposite would be true.

The other things I've suspected we're the fresh air duct. Maybe it had become blocked somehow. Although I don't see how. I just notice sometimes the fire won't start as good unless I barely crack the door open to let more air inside. That might be a separate issue though.

Also the chimney sweep didn't climb up to check the cap because it was too high. He cleaned from the inside. Maybe the cap is clogged some.

Thanks

The firestarting issue is most likely unseasoned wood. Dry wood makes a huge difference in modern stoves. Get some construction scrap 2x4 ends and use them to help start the fire. Or pick up some compressed sawdust blocks to supplement the fire. You will find most folks here have learned to stock up wood 2-3 years in advance in order to assure a good supply of dry wood. This is especially true if burning oak or hickory.

The firestarting issue is most likely unseasoned wood. Dry wood makes a huge difference in modern stoves. Get some construction scrap 2x4 ends and use them to help start the fire. Or pick up some compressed sawdust blocks to supplement the fire. You will find most folks here have learned to stock up wood 2-3 years in advance in order to assure a good supply of dry wood. This is especially true if burning oak or hickory.

So I don't really understand why the larger flue and doors might not allow me to keep the doors open? Is it because it requires more heat to draft good?

Yeah the starting issue is the green wood. And since it doesn't burn as hot or strong it also probably smokes more. I've burned probably 10 rick of the wetter wood and thought maybe the cap could have become plugged some. It's hard to see it way up there.

A larger cross-section pipe can remove more smoke with less draft. Typically the flue cross-sectional area should be at least 1/10th the door opening size for an open fireplace.

It sounds like it's time to check the chimney for buildup. I would do that soon.

A larger cross-section pipe can remove more smoke with less draft. Typically the flue cross-sectional area should be at least 1/10th the door opening size for an open fireplace.

It sounds like it's time to check the chimney for buildup. I would do that soon.

Yeah the door is probably 800sq in and the flue is about 50 so it probably is too large an opening.

The pipe was just cleaned. But the cap wasn't. I bet it has some build up with all the green wood and that cap is probably the coldest part of the chimney. Maybe that's why it seems worse, plus the down draft issue.

Btw- is the Vacu-Stack the best draft inducing cap? I also found some directional caps that are suppose to prevent down draft. But I don't think those create a vacuum like the Vacu-Stack.

I've never owned one, but reports here are that they solve problems like you are describing. But it won't dry the wood supply out faster. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.