Zelm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Elm for firewood

'Been off this site for YEARS. I cut on the western slope of Colorado -- so, lodge pole pine. But I have scrounged hardwood after damaging snowstorms in the Boulder area where I live.

I found elm to be gnarly and a p.i.a. to split. I would NOT want to use a splitting maul on it (I use a Wood Genreral 8 hp Hydraulic Splitter). It burned really well though! I'd say Lodge pole pine X 1.25 duration? (Cut green from damaged live tree, then seasoned 2 years.)

Best,

Dexter

Dutch elm disease has been working on the elm population around here for long time. Used to be tons of standing dead elm. The stuff would be so tough and hard that it really gave the saw a workout cutting it up. I sold firewood for gas money as a teenager, and beat wedges through that stuff every weekend. I still get some in a scrounge now and then but its kinda thinned out around here. But yeah it makes good firewood once seasoned.

Edit: should have mentioned that the elm I dealt with was standing dead for years never worked with green elm.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk