Zero Clearance Chase Vent Location - Time sensitive!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sousaf21

Apr 2, 2018
Mass
Hi all,
I am in the process of building a house and I stumbled across this site a few months back. I was initially planing on installing an old school masony fire place, but did some reading (well a lot of reading...) on this forum and was convinced to go down the zero cleaerance high effeciency fire place. I purchased the Supreme Galaxy (semi classic) unit. I am starting drywall very soon and do not have my chase vents installed but need to prior to drywalling. I was reading the manual (link included below), and it discusses on page 14 the necessity for the circulating air chase vent (biggers vents) and the images show them lower on the unit (and the chase ventalation high up on the unit). I have two questions, that I was hoping for some very immediate thoughts on (i am meeting with my framer today!).
1. How low is acceptable for the two circulating air vents? Is there a maximum distance above the ground that these need to be located? I have 6 feet of stone then drywall above the stone. Can the vent be put above the stone? We were alsp thinking about putting built ins next to the fireplace which would be about 8 feet high. Is 8 feet too high for this vent?

2. For the single chase vent up higher, how high is too high? Does it matter? My ceilings are 18 feet high, and I was hoping to have them as high up as possible.

Any thoughts on this as soon as possible would be awesome! Thanks!!

http://www.supremem.com/documents/manuals/Galaxy_Installation_Manual.pdf

Call the manufacturer and ask them. They are really the only ones who can answer those questions