Zero clearance stove replaced with wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe1

Dec 8, 2014
Missouri
I currently have a zero clearance wood stove in my house and want to convert it over to a wood insert. I understand I need to line the current chimney with a 6" insulated stainless steel liner. My question is do I need to leave the internal sheet metal parts of the zero clearance stove in place or can I remove all of the original zero clearance stove and place a wood insert in the wall cavity?

we need to know the model of your zc unit and the insert to know if it is possible at all. And no you cant remove any part of a zc unit other than the doors screens and damper to put an insert in

Welcome. First you need to determine whether the ZC is acceptable for an insert to be installed in it. What is the make and model of the ZC? If it qualifies, then there are specific inserts that are mfg approved to go in the ZC. This information is in the stove manual. You are not allowed to modify the ZC in this case except to remove the doors and damper.

There are several qualifiers for the second question. What you are describing is an alcove installation. Only certain stoves (not inserts) allow alcove installations and then only with specific clearance and hearth requirements. All would require class A chimney which is rare in contractor ZC installs so most of the time it requires a new chimney for the alcove install as well.

Please STOP!!

I am glad that you came here first because what you are planning to do is completely unsafe and may soon burn your house down. A fireplace insert is supposed to go into a masonry fireplace built from brick and mortar. It can never go just into a wall cavity. Some fireplace inserts may be installed into a zero clearance fireplace but that depends a lot on the specifications and UL listings of both units. What brand/model ZC fireplace do you have and which insert would you like to install?

The two safest and best options in the long run would be to either:
- Tear down the whole fireplace and chimney assembly, finish it (as an alcove if needed), and install a freestanding stove with its own dedicated chimney.
- Install a rear-vented, freestanding stove in front of the ZC fireplace and connect it to a liner running down the current chimney. That will be cheaper but you will most likely need to extend the hearth and the fireplace opening height will determine which stove you can install. You may have very few options.

Would you mind posting some pictures and tell us more about your situation? (like house size, goal of woodstove, budget etc.)

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Minnesota Marty
I currently have a zero clearance wood stove in my house and want to convert it over to a wood insert. I understand I need to line the current chimney with a 6" insulated stainless steel liner. My question is do I need to leave the internal sheet metal parts of the zero clearance stove in place or can I remove all of the original zero clearance stove and place a wood insert in the wall cavity?
I have a heatilator HC36 fireplace.

Welcome. First you need to determine whether the ZC is acceptable for an insert to be installed in it. What is the make and model of the ZC? If it qualifies, then there are specific inserts that are mfg approved to go in the ZC. This information is in the stove manual. You are not allowed to modify the ZC in this case except to remove the doors and damper.

There are several qualifiers for the second question. What you are describing is an alcove installation. Only certain stoves (not inserts) allow alcove installations and then only with specific clearance and hearth requirements. All would require class A chimney which is rare in contractor ZC installs so most of the time it requires a new chimney for the alcove install as well.

It seems from what I have read there are newer zero clearance fireplaces that are are 70-77% efficient. Is it not ok to remove my old Heatilator HC36, add the 6" stainless liner and replace it with a more efficient zero clearance fireplace?

Most likely a new ZC will need new chimney as well. Modern EPA ZC fireplaces typically require and insulated class A chimney with a higher temp rating, similar to freestanding EPA stoves. You could however install an approved insert connected to a stainless liner as long as the ZC is not modified beyond removing the doors or chain curtain and the damper.

It seems from what I have read there are newer zero clearance fireplaces that are are 70-77% efficient. Is it not ok to remove my old Heatilator HC36, add the 6" stainless liner and replace it with a more efficient zero clearance fireplace?
you could pull your fireplace and replace it with a high efficency unit for sure but you would need to put in a new chimney for it as well not just a liner

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/HC36_HR36.pdf
on the top of page 22 of your owners manual it says do not use a fireplace insert so the way i see it an insert is out. I know begreen will argue with me about it but to me it is pretty clear that you cant.

Lopi/Avalon specifically lists Heatilator as an acceptable ZC for its insert installation.

Last edited:
Lopi/Avolon specifically lists Heatilator as an acceptable ZC for its insert installation.
yea and there are heatilators that say it is ok to put inserts in them those i see no problems at all with doing so but this one specifically states no inserts. I will leave it at that because i don't want to get into another drawn out debate the poster needs to make their decision and check with their local code office and their insurance company.

My current chimney is 10.5" galvanized pipe with an 8" stainless pipe inside. If I put an insulated 6" stainless chimney liner inside the 8" pipe why would this not be the same as the triple walled stove pipe?

What are you wanting to connect that liner to is the question? A free standing stove or an insert may be ok, but a new ZC fireplace connected to the liner is not.

Last edited:
My main reason for the fireplace is to have heat if we lose power. However, I also want to use it to supplement our heating. Our house is a 1500sf all electric ranch with a finished basement. The walls have R-13 and the attic has R-50 insulation the windows are double pain. I want to replace the old zc fireplace with a new efficient zc fireplace. I have the original double wall 10.5" galv. chimney with an 8" stainless inside. There is no insulation just an air space between the two chimney pipes. I have already purchased the 6" stainless liner and 1/2" insulation kit. Does anyone know of a 36" wide zc fireplace that is listed at being compatible with this chimney system? I saw that the Bis Nova stated you could use an air cooled chimney but it sounded different than what I have. Any ideas on fireplaces that could be used without replacing my chimney would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think any ZC fireplace manufacturer would endorse that kind of installation in its manuals. You can try calling them to see if there is any unit that can be installed with an old fireplace chimney with a liner inside but chances are very slim that you find one that signs off on that idea.

Since you don't want to change the chimney and you already have the liner, I suggest you look into the possibility of installing a rear-vented hearth-mounted stove in front of the fireplace similar to this:
woodstove1-jpg.49964

Such an installation may heat better anyway during a power outage and will come cheaper than replacing the ZC fireplace and the chimney. Lintel height and depth of the hearth are the two critical measurements which will decide what stove can be installed.

Do to clearances I do not think this would work in my situation. I got a quote for a Buck Stove ZC74 for $3050 with all new Security chimney for $1500 and $800 for installation. I did not want to spend this much but it looks like there are not very many options for the zero clearance fireplaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.