• Harman Accentra insert - Feed too many pellets!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikepc

Nov 14, 2022
Pellet Stove Details:
Harman Accentra insert
6+ years old
Burn 2 tons/year
Stove completely cleaned 2 to 3 times year
Normal settings:
Room Temp – 90 degrees
Feed Adjustment 3.5

Problem:
With a feed setting of 3.5, everything has worked just fine for years. But, starting last year I started to spill pellets. So, I turned the feed setting down to 3, then over time, I had to turn it down to 2.5 then to 2 and now 1.5. At a setting of 1.5 I am not spilling pellets, but it is feeding pellets as if it was set at 3.5.

I am a DIY type guy and have replaced blowers etc., but this one has me stumped!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike

Different stove, I had this problem a while back, my air damper was opened to much, further cleaning the burn pot holes and replacing the door gasket, ash pan door gasket solved it completely.

Different stove, I had this problem a while back, my air damper was opened to much, further cleaning the burn pot holes and replacing the door gasket, ash pan door gasket solved it completely.
I cleaned everything, including vent and ESP. Checked everything I know to check, no difference!

One observation - The stove will not push pellets over the edge for about 4- 5 hours, then slowly, the pellets get closer and closer to the edge and then start to spill. Yes, I clean the pot daily. I am burning about one bag in 14 hours, assuming I do not spill too many pellets.

Settings: Room Temp 90, High fan (large room with many windows, cold outside)
Auto igniter (does not matter since Room Temp never gets to 90)
Feed Adjuster 3.5 spills pellets after 4-5 hours, 1.5 does not
Use 'Premium' pellets

Since I leave the house at 7:00 am, I turn the stove on and set the feed rate to 3 - 3.5. When I come home around noon, I am starting to spill pellets. If I set the feed rate to 1.5, it takes forever to heat the house but I don't spill pellets.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks!

Ever replace the ESP ? Could the control knobs not be working correctly ? Maybe clean the control knobs (potentiometers) on the back side of control board with Deoxit ?

Well, without seeing video of stove burning, kind of hard to guess. So your stove runs wide open, whenever it is on, yet only burn 2 tons a year? Vacation home,I guess. Anyway, some things it could be,"assuming" flue and intake are clean and clear--
Exhaust probe acting strange after on for a while.
Exhaust motor "-----------------------------------------"
Control board "------------------------------------------"
BUT, something people get lazy about, is proper cleaning of the holes in the pot. Not only do they have to be open, but the right size, they close down over time. I like to use a drill bit(broken off to be shorter, just easier for me), and, after opening each hole, you can go up and down, wiggle around, so it actually scrapes carbon off to the metal. However, be careful over igniter, don't go down too far and damage it.

I cleaned everything, including vent and ESP. Checked everything I know to check, no difference!

One observation - The stove will not push pellets over the edge for about 4- 5 hours, then slowly, the pellets get closer and closer to the edge and then start to spill. Yes, I clean the pot daily. I am burning about one bag in 14 hours, assuming I do not spill too many pellets.

Settings: Room Temp 90, High fan (large room with many windows, cold outside)
Auto igniter (does not matter since Room Temp never gets to 90)
Feed Adjuster 3.5 spills pellets after 4-5 hours, 1.5 does not
Use 'Premium' pellets

Since I leave the house at 7:00 am, I turn the stove on and set the feed rate to 3 - 3.5. When I come home around noon, I am starting to spill pellets. If I set the feed rate to 1.5, it takes forever to heat the house but I don't spill pellets.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks!
Nice stove, I'm betting your stove needs a deep cleaning.

Some good reads:

(While the insert was unplugged I scraped the burn pot and vacuumed the insides, then I plugged it back in and re-started. The fire was on within about 15 minutes. I checked after an hour and all I'm seeing now are ashes -- no partially-burned pellets overflowing the burn pot (and making an inverted-V pile in the ash pan!). So somehow it seems to have fixed itself?! I am glad of course but I really like to understand how/why things happen.)

Simple things first..

Well, without seeing video of stove burning, kind of hard to guess. So your stove runs wide open, whenever it is on, yet only burn 2 tons a year? Vacation home,I guess. Anyway, some things it could be,"assuming" flue and intake are clean and clear--
BUT, something people get lazy about, is proper cleaning of the holes in the pot. Not only do they have to be open, but the right size, they close down over time. I like to use a drill bit(broken off to be shorter, just easier for me), and, after opening each hole, you can go up and down, wiggle around, so it actually scrapes carbon off to the metal. However, be careful over igniter, don't go down too far and damage it.
Thanks for all the suggestion! A few more details.
Things I have done:
1. Have checked door seal
2. Have cleaned everyone one of the pot holes using a drill bit (not on a drill)
3. Exhaust motor and blower seems to be running correctly, no blinking lights of any kind
4. I deep cleaned everything

Things I have NOT done:
1. Replace ESP, will order one
2. Clean the control knobs (potentiometers) on the back side of control board with Deoxit, will purchase

Will report back!

Thanks again!

Reactions: Mt Bob

Very true, it could be a number of things. With my stove I've always found keeping it simple makes it easier to find the problem and resolve it, making it complicated makes me want to grab an Advil.

Thanks for updates ..... :) Having an extra ESP on hand and maybe an igniter would be a good idea. Is the stove plugged into a surge suppressor ?

Pellet Stove Details:
Harman Accentra insert
6+ years old
Burn 2 tons/year
Stove completely cleaned 2 to 3 times year
Normal settings:
Room Temp – 90 degrees
Feed Adjustment 3.5

Problem:
With a feed setting of 3.5, everything has worked just fine for years. But, starting last year I started to spill pellets. So, I turned the feed setting down to 3, then over time, I had to turn it down to 2.5 then to 2 and now 1.5. At a setting of 1.5 I am not spilling pellets, but it is feeding pellets as if it was set at 3.5.

I am a DIY type guy and have replaced blowers etc., but this one has me stumped!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike

Spilling Pellets
Update: Same problem as last year.

History: With a feed setting of 3.5, everything has worked just fine for years. But, starting last year I started to spill pellets. So, I turned the feed setting down to 3, then over time, I had to turn it down to 2.5 then to 2 and now 1.5. At a setting of 1.5 I am not spilling pellets, but it is feeding pellets as if it was set at 3.5? I normally run the stove 12 hours a day.

I have taken the following actions this year with no change in the problem:
1) Deep, deep cleaned
2) All pot holes are clean
3) Stove is NOT plugged into a surge suppressor
4) No blinking lights
5) Checked door seal
6) Cleaned potentiometers with Deoxit
7) Replaced ESP Thermistor Probe

Unit: Harman Accentra insert
7+ years old
Burn 2 tons/year (seasonal)
Normal settings:
Room Temp – 90 degrees

Suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Mike

How often do you burn it up high? I do this on my P61a once a week just to burn any build up off.

Try it on stove temp, it’ll make a difference

I ran the stove for two days (12 hours day) on stove temp. with no difference.

The stove will run for a few hours and then over time the pellets start to spill at any setting greater than 1.5. On either stove or room temp, if I set it on 3.0, pellets start spilling after 4 hours. If I set it at 1.5, I have an inch of ash after four hours and after 10 hours 1/2 inch of ash.

Reactions: Washed-Up