Harmon 52i insert - burn pot overloaded with unburnt pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
Stove wasn't running for a while and I noticed room was cold. Went to the insert and saw burn pot was over filled with unburnt pellets. First time this ever happened (insert is 3 months old)

So I manually took out the pellets and put them back in the hopper. Restarted insert and worked fine. Anyone know why the burn pot was filled with unburnt pellets?

My first thought is damp pellets. After that it's perhaps a weak igniter.

Was there an error code? Sometimes pellets don't drop into the auger, so the fire dies, but the auger keeps trying to feed until the proof of fire drops out. In the meantime, some pellets will fall into the auger and get fed into a dead burn pot, hence the buildup. Happens just like that to my stove if I let the hopper get too low on pellets.

Was the stove cleaned since you got it? How many bags did you burn since the last cleaning? Is your stove on room temp/auto? Did you clean under the burn pot?
On a cold stove - I have seen this happen when the chamber under the burn pot was full of fly ash and the stove shut down (normally per room sensor). The igniter suffocates at re-ignition and the stove times out filling the ash tray with pellets. You will normally also see a blink code error for failed ignition. If this is happening with a hot stove during run time then it's usually an air flow issue.

Probably missed ignition and probably due to needing cleaning under the burn pot in the igniter compartment much as Nova was saying. It can even be ash on the igniter from not banging on the burn pot when scraping it. Banging on the burn pot knocks the ash off the igniter. either way you should be sure to clean in that compartment. This all is assuming a start up was happening. Anyway 3 months is about right for the stove to act up from lack of cleaning.. Watch this video:
<iframe width="1175" height="524" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ANCoZ2HUcjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi all sorry for my late response ... Yes I clean my stove... I've burned like 20 bags but like I said I have cleaned my stove a few times.. I run my stove on temp mode.

Error code? Where would I see that, on the panel... What lights would blink?

It's only when I first turn my stove on (so far that I have noticed) afterwards it burns fine. I'll have to keep an eye if it happens at other times

Oops! Sorry guys didn't realize I made 2 posts for this...

PLEASE DELETE/CLOSE THIS POST

This is a double post!

Sorry my fault... I'll use my other post.

I had the same issue with my new insert. My experience oddly enough, was after a deep clean. Pellets would over flow and unit would timeout. I now put the feed rate on 3, and about 10 mins or so, it ignites. I concluded I probably have a weak ignitor and depending on the model, have read here where Harman has upgraded the burn pot (less holes) - I have the older version. Anyway, I never did call the dealer and would suggest you do what I didn't, give them a call. You paid a premium price for a premium stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.