0028 defiant encore help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad a

Mar 8, 2015
Mebane NC 27302
I have a VC defiant encore that I have taken the back off of to replace the refractory chamber and to clean it up. After I have replaced the chamber and gaskets the back does not seem to want to fit properly at the bottom, it does not want to slide all the way back to the sides of stove. I have removed all the gaskets and refractory chamber and tried to put it back on and have had the problem. I was wondering if there was another problem I have and what I may be missing. Thanks for any help and I consider my self to be mechanically inclined but I do not know anything about cat wood stoves or really any other kind of wood stove.

Try this link i have attached. Its a parts diagram for the 0028. Maybe there is a part you can find on the diagram that is missing or out of place.

Click here: 0028 Diagram

I replaced my 0028 refractory twice in 28 years and both times did it from front by removing upper and lower firebacks. I never pulled back off. You might have debris between refractory and fireback. You can remove fireback just by removing front doors and damper handle. There are 3 bolts if I remember on left inside that let's the cover come off damper handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the back off...hmmm...need pics of this to help...

There is a groove or channel on top of the base of the stove, at the back. It should be clear of debris. When I had my #0028 apart, I found someone had put refractory cement in there. If the surfaces are clean and you're still having trouble with reassembly, post a picture so we can have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.