1-1/4" pex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought mine from Cozy Heat (banner ad). Any decent plumbing/heating supply house should have what you're looking for. Probably any boiler dealer, as well.

MyOutdoors said:
Can someone point me in the right direction on where to purchase 1-1/4" pex @ 175' lengths(no insulation just pex). Thank you.

You're probably aware of this-- but if this is for use with a boiler designed to work with a "closed system" be sure to get pex with some form of oxygen barrier (pex intended for domestic water does not include this)

Might be worth checking out E-Pay as well.... I've heard several folks have gotten some pretty decent stuff from there, at reasonable prices. There seem to be several big vendors that list a lot of items, and suggest that you contact them with requests for stuff if they don't have listings for what you want...

Gooserider

Biggest problem I'm finding is that I cannot get it in 175' continuous lengths? Also, How about the reducer fitting from 1-1/4" pex to 1" copper? Everything seem shard to find.

MyOutdoors, I am trying to upgrade to 1 1/4" inch oxygen barrier pex and foud it at menards for $2 a lineal foot and cut to length but it has to be special ordered. I'm just guessing but perhaps HOme Depot or Lowes carries it too.

MyOutdoors said:
Biggest problem I'm finding is that I cannot get it in 175' continuous lengths? Also, How about the reducer fitting from 1-1/4" pex to 1" copper? Everything seem shard to find.

I typically like using pex for a lot of purposes-- but the above-1" fittings seemed made of special alloys of unobtainium and/or pricegougium

Yah.... That's for sure!! :) That's why I manifolded 1" & 3/4" pex together for my house run........

Watts Radiant offers 1-1/4" Barrier pex in 100 and 300 foot coils. Also barb style fittings with copper crimp rings.
In fact this sheet from their website shows 1-1/2" pex in 20 straight 100, and 300 foot coils?

hr

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 602
MyOutdoors said:
Can someone point me in the right direction on where to purchase 1-1/4" pex @ 175' lengths(no insulation just pex). Thank you.

Send me a PM with a description of the fittings you need and exact lengths.

I'm also looking for 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" oxygen barrier to run to house approx 300' away. The 2 ebay listings below were for 1" but they said the 2nd one said to inquire about larger sizes and cut to fit lengths. I emailed and will let you know what they say. I did see that the 1" is only 0.84-0.88" inside diameter and 1 1/4 is actually 1.03-1.07" inside diameter. Will ask about the fittings as well. The 2nd listing also claims standard Wirsbo fittings and a guy at work has the expander tool I could use. He didn't think the fitting were too hard to find or expensive. Will check that out and report back as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-x-300ft-Oxyge...in_0?hash=item33520dfa3b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Radiant-Heat-...in_0?hash=item48370ad93d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

No luck with those companies. They didn't have the oxygen barrier in the larger sizes.

My current system uses 1" pex I bought at Menards but I want to move the boiler into it's own building with a wwod supply and it will be farther away from the house so I want to go to 1 1/4". Menards has 02 barrier and in larger diameters too. I saw the stuff, orsomething similar, you gave the link for when I put my system together. I bought insulation at Menards too. Saved a bunch and it's been working good. I want to use my current 1" for the garage.

I spent a lot of time trying to decide between running 1-1/4 pex or dual 1" lines and ended up going with the dual line approach. I looked at pump curves and pipe head loss charts, going back and forth a number or times. The larger diameter pipe and fittings are quite a bit more expensive, and running the four 1" lines (2 supply and 2 return) was not that difficult for my install. It also provides you with a quick backup if one of the lines for some reason fails at some point, but of course you loose the capacity of the dual lines.

SWF, I'm starting to see the light going with dual 1" lines as well. How did you handle the "ends", do you just T them off? Also, what did you use for insulation underground?

Cave2k said:
MyOutdoors, I am trying to upgrade to 1 1/4" inch oxygen barrier pex and foud it at menards for $2 a lineal foot and cut to length but it has to be special ordered. I'm just guessing but perhaps HOme Depot or Lowes carries it too.

From what I have seen Menards, Lowe's and Home Despot have no clue what barrier tube is. I have run into at least a half dozen jobs where the customer was sure he had barrier tube because the guys in the aprons told him it was. Upon checking the specs on the tube the sad news was that it was not. I'm sure that those salesmen were not trying to screw the customer, they just don't know. If you buy from one of those places get a complete spec sheet including the tube warranty BEFORE you order it.

MyOutdoors said:
SWF, I'm starting to see the light going with dual 1" lines as well. How did you handle the "ends", do you just T them off? Also, what did you use for insulation underground?

Yes, that is what I did. I just used a 90 deg 1" elbow at the end of each line and connected the elbows to a 1-1/4" T with 1"-1-1/4" bushings. All my lines run through building space that was easy to access, and I ended up just insulating each line separately with good pipe insulation. The dual line approach has pros and cons and it somewhat depends on your installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.