Old Buderas Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drywall

Jan 22, 2024
Massachusetts
Hope this post conforms to the Forum category! Recently purchased a 1900 brick home with a twenty-year-old G-124 Buderas natural gas boiler, using PEX tubing leading to baseboards. It has a 3 or 4-inch exhaust pipe through the basement wall, and I believe it has an assisted vent system. It has functioned well this past winter, but will:
1. need a cleaning and general check-up this summer.
2. Will need a replacement 1 1/2" iron supply manifold (see attached photo: pipe has exterior rust, probably from a leaking pressure valve).
Any advice on these jobs? Thanks for any suggestions!

IMG_3505.jpeg

I can only make general observations. I believe that is a cast iron boiler with a sheet metal enclosure around it. Given the state of rust on the inlet manifold I would guess at best a 50% chance that it will not break loose at the boiler. It may do fine but frequently the piping is so far gone that it will snap at the threads and then you need to fish the remains of the pipe out of the boiler casting and possibly have to chase the threads in the boiler with a pipe tap. Draining the boiler and possibly removing the casing, then heating the joint with a torch and letting it cool, then applying penetrant and tapping the joint, repeat a couple of times over a course of days and it might unscrew. If you do get it out, make sure you have a good grade of thread sealant to reseal the new threads as rarely do the originla thread in the casting make it out unharmed. Rectorseal is good sealant. I used the Trublue version.

Reactions: Drywall
I can only make general observations. I believe that is a cast iron boiler with a sheet metal enclosure around it. Given the state of rust on the inlet manifold I would guess at best a 50% chance that it will not break loose at the boiler. It may do fine but frequently the piping is so far gone that it will snap at the threads and then you need to fish the remains of the pipe out of the boiler casting and possibly have to chase the threads in the boiler with a pipe tap. Draining the boiler and possibly removing the casing, then heating the joint with a torch and letting it cool, then applying penetrant and tapping the joint, repeat a couple of times over a course of days and it might unscrew. If you do get it out, make sure you have a good grade of thread sealant to reseal the new threads as rarely do the originla thread in the casting make it out unharmed. Rectorseal is good sealant. I used the Trublue version.
Thanks for your reply. I will first scrape the surface of the pipe to see the extent of the rust. A standard pipe wrench might crush the weakened pipe, so I will first try some sort of strap wrench to distribute the grip evenly. If the pipe shears and leaves the threaded end of pipe in the boiler, I’ll have to look for some sort of oversized bolt extractor!