1/4 vs 1/2 chimney liner insulation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I'm planning on installing second wood stove in a basement . Going to be a part time/cold spell burner. Liner is heavy duty .016 Superflex. 23 feet going trough interior chimney. I was going to insulate it with 1/2 blanket (around $250 online) but found deal on craiglist for $40 for Olimpia made 1/4 blanket. Wondering if using 1/4 vs 1/2 will affect chimney liner performance much . Any thoughts ?

I'm planning on installing second wood stove in a basement . Going to be a part time/cold spell burner. Liner is heavy duty .016 Superflex. 23 feet going trough interior chimney. I was going to insulate it with 1/2 blanket (around $250 online) but found deal on craiglist for $40 for Olimpia made 1/4 blanket. Wondering if using 1/4 vs 1/2 will affect chimney liner performance much . Any thoughts ?
1/4" won't give you zero clearance to combustibles. Some liners have been tested with it and those will give you a reduction to 1/2 of what is required

I believe most liner manufacturers call for 1/2” to be considered a listed liner.

1/4" won't give you zero clearance to combustibles. Some liners have been tested with it and those will give you a reduction to 1/2 of what is required
There is no combustibles, I goes trough clay liner to wood stove installed in open fireplace. My concern is draft and creosote buildup rate.

There is no combustibles, I goes trough clay liner to wood stove installed in open fireplace. My concern is draft and creosote buildup rate.
So a chimney running up through the house doesn't have combustible material anywhere near it? An internal chimney needs 2" of clearance between the outside of that masonry structure and any combustibles.

So a chimney running up through the house doesn't have combustible material anywhere near it? An internal chimney needs 2" of clearance between the outside of that masonry structure and any combustibles.
So, This is brick and mortar masonry fireplace with chimney going to the roof. There is 13" clay liner inside of it. Should i be concerned?

So, This is brick and mortar masonry fireplace with chimney going to the roof. There is 13" clay liner inside of it. Should i be concerned?
Yes if you don't have the required 2" clearance around the chimney.

Yes if you don't have the required 2" clearance around the chimney.
Just to be clear. Do I have to have 2" clearance from SS liner wall or original masonry chimney

Just to be clear. Do I have to have 2" clearance from SS liner wall or original masonry chimney
Is this an internal chimney or external? I thought you had said internal but now I don't see it

If it in internal you need 2" from the exterior of the masonry structure. For an exterior chimney it is 1".

If it in internal you need 2" from the exterior of the masonry structure. For an exterior chimney it is 1".
1/4 vs 1/2 chimney liner  insulation.

This is internal chimney build like this.

I think it just framed with lumber around. The house was build in 1973. What would be example of maintaining clearance between masonry and framing?

I think it just framed with lumber around. The house was build in 1973. What would be example of maintaining clearance between masonry and framing?
An example of maintains clearance between the masonry and framing would be a 2" space between the outside of the chimney structure and the framing.

Most likely it's not the case.
Wondering, If standards so strict, why I see posts from guru like Begreen saying this:
". For an exterior chimney, I would always insulate, but not always for an interior flue. If the wood burned is dry and creosote accumulation is not an issue to start with, there may be little to be gained, especially if the liner is in a flue that is already tile lined and in good condition. If the flue is tall, insulating the liner may actually help to create too much draft. For example, if the chimney was 28 ft and the max recommended for the stove was 30 ft, I'd probably not insulate it.
Not arguing, just trying to get more knowledge.

Most likely it's not the case.
Wondering, If standards so strict, why I see posts from guru like Begreen saying this:
". For an exterior chimney, I would always insulate, but not always for an interior flue. If the wood burned is dry and creosote accumulation is not an issue to start with, there may be little to be gained, especially if the liner is in a flue that is already tile lined and in good condition. If the flue is tall, insulating the liner may actually help to create too much draft. For example, if the chimney was 28 ft and the max recommended for the stove was 30 ft, I'd probably not insulate it.
Not arguing, just trying to get more knowledge.
That statement my begreen is innacurate.