10°

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Some of my chains specify a 10° angle on the side plate when sharpening. It's a real pain in the ass keeping track, and holding the angle. My bench grinder does not have this adjustment.

If I just ignored the 10° spec when sharpening the ones that are spec'd for that, and went at a right angle to the bar, how much do I give up?

Some additional background:
I ordered 2 similar Woodland Pro chains from Baileys last year, they both say Carlton on the links. One is chisel, the other semi- chisel. The semi- chisel one does not specify the 10° offset, the chisel one does. I can only ID which is which by holding them right next to each other and comparing.

Next are two identical Oregon vanguards. Chisel, 10° side plate spec, and those bent over rakers. Not awesome.

I also have two identical Stihl chains for the saw. Both are Chisel and no 10° side plate spec. These are my favorite of the group, but were expensive. I found a pipe with the first one within 30 minutes of putting it on, and cracked a cutter link. I rocked the second cutting a log that was too big for me to lift off the ground.

Last edited:
I also don't sharpen with any up or down angle. I just follow the guide marks on the cutters but keep my file level.

Perhaps I'm not doing it 100 percent correct but my chains always cut great with a sharp edge, most of the time anyways.
Thanks woodhog. I wish I could say the same. I actually feel like I am getting worse results the more I do. Not good!

I am determined to figure it out, just at a low point in my chain sharpening journey currently.

If you get worse results as you go - can I assume that you arn't working on the rakers when you file. Raker height has to be adjusted as the tooth gets shorter.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
If you get worse results as you go - can I assume that you arn't working on the rakers when you file. Raker height has to be adjusted as the tooth gets shorter.
I wish it were that. I work the rakers too, I'm just horrible with all the angles.

Get yourself a Granberg jig. They're cheap and work really well. Downside is that it is pretty slow.

I sharpen by hand while I'm out sawing (every tooth gets a few licks, move on). When I have time to sit down and spend some time on it, I break out the Granberg and correct all of my hand filing mistakes (including raker height).

For me, a hand sharpened chain is better than a dull chain, but a jig filed chain is better than either.

I used to think I was pretty good at hand filing, but I don't anymore now that I have the jig. :)

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Get yourself a Granberg jig. They're cheap and work really well. Downside is that it is pretty slow.

I sharpen by hand while I'm out sawing (every tooth gets a few licks, move on). When I have time to sit down and spend some time on it, I break out the Granberg and correct all of my hand filing mistakes (including raker height).

For me, a hand sharpened chain is better than a dull chain, but a jig filed chain is better than either.

I used to think I was pretty good at hand filing, but I don't anymore now that I have the jig. :)

I am going to have to do that. I've been contemplating it for a while, time to pull the trigger.