10-CPM / stat issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
Ok, so I'm having some issues, and thought the kind folks at Hearth.com could help me out. Englander's not open on Sunday nights (What kind of customer service is that?!?!?!:p) and I'm having an issue.

10 - CPM, running fine. Skytech 3301P stat. This combo has been working fine for this heating season up to this point. It worked fine all day today, cycled from hi to low normally, but for some reason tonight the stove is not responding when the stat calls for heat. It seems stuck in "low" for some strange reason. Connections appear to be tight. No battery lights on the stat. Feeds pellets, but very slow, just like the stove is at "1" on the feed setting.

I turned off the stove and unplugged it for a few minutes. Same result when I plugged it back in and restarted it. Been cruising on low for about 45 minutes now. Getting a little cool in here, it's 22 degrees out.

Where do I go from here? Reset control board? How do you do that? Replace batteries in both parts of the stat? Disconnect and reconnect stat? I'm probably going to disconnect the stat for tonight and run it manually, but with shoulder season coming, I'm gonna be wanting that stat. It's gonna be tough to get a phone call to englander with my work schedule this week.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

If you have not changed batteries in the stat or receiver, please do so. The stat will tell you when they are low, but the receiver on the stove will not. They may be dead as a door nail.

I change ALL my batteries mid-season. Because they never make a full season. And yes, I have a Skytech.

IMO, I'd disconnect the stat. Then, put in fresh batteries in both receiver & remote, and start them up like you did when it was new. Make sure the wires going to the control board are still inserted properly and the screws are tight.

Resetting the board is a possibility. The procedure for the 10-cpm is:
-Unplug, and plug back in
-Within 5 seconds, press all 3 bottom buttons at the same time & release....display should go to "F-5", then off.

At this point, reset the mode back to pellets, and reset bottom buttons to what you ran before. When all lights go out, restart the stove.

If this doesn't work, I'd just replace the jumper wire for the night until you can give SkyTech a call tomorrow.....that way you'll have heat.

Before I went to bed last night, I moved the switch on the receiver to the "ON" position and was able to control it manually. Had to guess what setting to use, but it worked out fine. 68 degrees in the house this am, no propane burned.

Just switched it back to "REMOTE" position and it is running fine so far, although it hasn't needed to switch to low yet...thanks for the ideas guys. Will keep u posted.

Before I went to bed last night, I moved the switch on the receiver to the "ON" position and was able to control it manually. Had to guess what setting to use, but it worked out fine. 68 degrees in the house this am, no propane burned.

Just switched it back to "REMOTE" position and it is running fine so far, although it hasn't needed to switch to low yet...thanks for the ideas guys. Will keep u posted.
Glad you got it working overnight. I think I'd still change all the batteries, based on Dexter's comment above.

just for possible help wiht this in the future regarding the skytech remote stats and our stoves.

the receiver must be set to the "remote" position (center) in order to work from the handset, in the "on" position the unit would run all the time as if the unit had not been connected to a stat , the off position would hold the unit off. note , in the even of a battery change the set may have to "learn" in order to communicate , to get the "learn" function to work the receiver would be set in the "on " position.

Thanks for chiming in Mike.

And now, the rest of the story. (cue paul harvey voice)

The stat worked fine the next day after I switched it back to the "REMOTE" position, and has been fine ever since. Strange. No idea why they weren't talking nicely to each other. Anyway, I decided to go ahead and change the receiver batteries just in case. One of the batteries had apparently sprung a leak, and there was a lot of corrosion on the negative pole of that battery. Don't know if that was causing enough of a power issue for the receiver to not work correctly or not. Cleaned everything up, put new batteries in and it's working normally tonight.

Thanks for the advice. Stay warm my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.