10% Ethanol?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your good then...... if it does not contain ethanol then you are probably fine for 6 months like oldspark said.

EatenByLimestone said:
http://www.lebanonvalley.com/

This track may not be far from you. It might be worth a call to see what they have.

Matt

I'd burn about 10 gallons traveling.

EatenByLimestone said:
firefighterjake said:
Geez . . . guess I'm doing everything wrong then . . . been running the ethanol-gas in my saw for the past year or two now . . . maybe I should let my saw know that it's no good and will surely be damaged.

Honestly, I did a whole bunch of research on this issue when ethanol hit Maine and there was a real concern by us snowmobilers using two-strokes since the manufacturers today have really dialed these machines in to be as efficient as possible and no offense to anyone but I was a lot more worried about damaging a $8,000-$10,000 machine vs. a $300-$500 machine (not that I have money to spare).

In the end based on what I researched . . . and based on the experiences of folks using ethanol a year or so before us out west . . .

a) ethanol/gasoline is probably OK for most newer machines . . . but for older machines the gaskets/hoselines/other rubber-type parts may not hold up
b) ethanol/gasoline is OK if you use it short-term, but if you're looking to store it in a tank for several months it is best to add a gas preservative . . . preferably one that does not have alcohol in it (i.e. go with the Marine Stabil vs. the regular stuff was one bit of advice I had . . . I think I went with T-1000 or some product like that . . . can't remember the exact name.

As I mentioned . . . I went all winter with zero fuel issues in the sled . . . and zero issues with the chainsaw . . . for that matter also no issues in my lawn mowers, ATV, SUV or two cars which are admittedly four-strokes.

Now as for the octane levels . . . I used to subscribe to the "more expensive stuff is best", but in the past few months I've been running the cheap stuff with no issues . . . I think it is more important to use the higher octane if your manual calls for the higher stuff . . . and what is even more important is to make sure your gasoline source is good and reliable . . . in other words, no issues with water or other contaminants.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I've run ethanol through my tools. However I can pick up the non ethanol stuff without going too far from my house or out of my way. My wife passes the station I mentioned going to and from work. The one Battenkiller mentioned in Schenectady is new news to me, but if it checks out it will be about 6 miles from me... not too far out of my way for a couple gallons here and there. I could probably work it into my route if I'm careful. If you could run it, and it wouldn't be cost prohibitive, would you?
FWIW, I filled up the truck with ethanol free and my increase in mileage didn't make the increase in cost worth it for the truck. I feel it's worth it for the chainsaw though.

Matt

To answer your question . . . if I could pick up straight gas easily enough and cheap enough . . . yes. However, that said, I really don't feel that ethanol is as bad as everyone thinks/thought . . .

EatenByLimestone said:
Not off topic at all. Ethanol is a great solvent. If you have an old saw it's certainly something to think about.

Matt

Ah yes . . . I forgot about that . . . besides the issues with older rubber-type parts the other issue with ethanol as Matt mentioned is that ethanol is a great solvent and cleaner which could be bad if you are running it through older equipment as it could end up cleaning out the varnish and gum up the works.

firefighterjake said:
EatenByLimestone said:
firefighterjake said:
Geez . . . guess I'm doing everything wrong then . . . been running the ethanol-gas in my saw for the past year or two now . . . maybe I should let my saw know that it's no good and will surely be damaged.

Honestly, I did a whole bunch of research on this issue when ethanol hit Maine and there was a real concern by us snowmobilers using two-strokes since the manufacturers today have really dialed these machines in to be as efficient as possible and no offense to anyone but I was a lot more worried about damaging a $8,000-$10,000 machine vs. a $300-$500 machine (not that I have money to spare).

In the end based on what I researched . . . and based on the experiences of folks using ethanol a year or so before us out west . . .

a) ethanol/gasoline is probably OK for most newer machines . . . but for older machines the gaskets/hoselines/other rubber-type parts may not hold up
b) ethanol/gasoline is OK if you use it short-term, but if you're looking to store it in a tank for several months it is best to add a gas preservative . . . preferably one that does not have alcohol in it (i.e. go with the Marine Stabil vs. the regular stuff was one bit of advice I had . . . I think I went with T-1000 or some product like that . . . can't remember the exact name.

As I mentioned . . . I went all winter with zero fuel issues in the sled . . . and zero issues with the chainsaw . . . for that matter also no issues in my lawn mowers, ATV, SUV or two cars which are admittedly four-strokes.

Now as for the octane levels . . . I used to subscribe to the "more expensive stuff is best", but in the past few months I've been running the cheap stuff with no issues . . . I think it is more important to use the higher octane if your manual calls for the higher stuff . . . and what is even more important is to make sure your gasoline source is good and reliable . . . in other words, no issues with water or other contaminants.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I've run ethanol through my tools. However I can pick up the non ethanol stuff without going too far from my house or out of my way. My wife passes the station I mentioned going to and from work. The one Battenkiller mentioned in Schenectady is new news to me, but if it checks out it will be about 6 miles from me... not too far out of my way for a couple gallons here and there. I could probably work it into my route if I'm careful. If you could run it, and it wouldn't be cost prohibitive, would you?
FWIW, I filled up the truck with ethanol free and my increase in mileage didn't make the increase in cost worth it for the truck. I feel it's worth it for the chainsaw though.

Matt

To answer your question . . . if I could pick up straight gas easily enough and cheap enough . . . yes. However, that said, I really don't feel that ethanol is as bad as everyone thinks/thought . . .

I do notice in my 192t will be hard to start if the gas is just a few week out but the big saw's really dont care what gas it is for a quick start...

firefighterjake said:
EatenByLimestone said:
Not off topic at all. Ethanol is a great solvent. If you have an old saw it's certainly something to think about.

Matt

Ah yes . . . I forgot about that . . . besides the issues with older rubber-type parts the other issue with ethanol as Matt mentioned is that ethanol is a great solvent and cleaner which could be bad if you are running it through older equipment as it could end up cleaning out the varnish and gum up the works.

Boats have had lots of trouble with it. Dissolving gunk, absorbing water and dissolving the fuel tank if it's fiberglass. It stuck me out in the lake twice a few years ago.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
The one Battenkiller mentioned in Schenectady is new news to me, but if it checks out it will be about 6 miles from me... not too far out of my way for a couple gallons here and there.

Stopped in today to get some and it has 10% ethanol in it now. Went to the Rhodes service station and they had 93 octane ethanol-free gas, so I bought 5 gallons at $3.79/gallon (yikes!) What the hey... it'll last me all year the way I'll be cutting. Can't see putting it in my car, but might as well use the best in the saw for $20/year.

Bought a quart of Amsoil as well. Not sure why synthetic is better, but I got it just in case I find out why later. :lol:

I found a shop with VP racing fuel SEF94. I bought 5 gallons for $53. Can't believe I just paid $50 for 5 gallons of gas. Thought I'd give it a try to see how long it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.