-10 This Morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stvigi1960

Jul 18, 2022
Millville, MA
Whats your temperature this morning?

We hit a low of -10f at 2:30am and it has not risen as of this writing at 7:30am.

Mass/RI boarder,

I have a Harman Absolute 43. The stove was purchased to add some warmth to a 16ft x 24ft den extension on a 1200sqft cape. Due to high oil prices it became the main heat source this year and workes quite well maintaining the house at 70f until this morning. At 2:30am I was woken up to the oil furnace kicking in (set to 67f), figuring the stove must have shut down I was surprised to se it fully running. I guess I found the limits to my stove.

It's -27*F here with -38*F just a few miles north of us. The P43 kept up nicely but the pellet usage bumped up higher than ever.

Feb 4.PNG

Reactions: Mt Bob
It is -34::C this morning with a wind chill/Realfeel of -46::C
Or in ::F- 29.2 Windchill/Realfeel -49 No matter how you put it that's
bloody cold and now the forecast for tomorrow is + 1 ::C
The pellet stove pumping out heat and the wood furnace is using wood
as if I owned the forest wait a minute I do own the forest the wood came from

Whats your temperature this morning?

We hit a low of -10f at 2:30am and it has not risen as of this writing at 7:30am.

Mass/RI boarder,

I have a Harman Absolute 43. The stove was purchased to add some warmth to a 16ft x 24ft den extension on a 1200sqft cape. Due to high oil prices it became the main heat source this year and workes quite well maintaining the house at 70f until this morning. At 2:30am I was woken up to the oil furnace kicking in (set to 67f), figuring the stove must have shut down I was surprised to se it fully running. I guess I found the limits to my stove.
We had minus 29.7 this morning, our Yankee Pellet Stove is in the basement so it was set on the highest setting on medium just so it would keep the basement 70-72.

A neighbor down the road said they had minus 40, they get a direct hit from the colder air coming off the river or that was with the wind chill.

Fishers Landing, NY was -25 this morning... Wish I had my Harman here....

Reactions: thewoodlands
I’m always amazed on here when people say their stoves burn 12 to 14 hours. Then I look at their avatar and see where they live and find the average winter temperatures in the winter is in the 40’s.Temperatures in the 30’s and 40’s are easy wood burning temperatures. 20’s no problem. Single digits down into minus temperatures you have to be on it. A couple of weeks ago we had low single digit temps with 40 mile an hour winds. Stove couldn’t keep up. Next day same temperature with no wind and the stove handled it. Wind makes a difference. At least that’s how it works for me.

Reactions: VintageGal
Lowest I got through all this was 1F. I expected lower. Put the stove on 3 (out of 5) the other night, by morning it was 72-73 at the center of the house. A little warmer than I wanted but it’s fine. Been running on 1 while at work and 2 while at home. Nice having that reserve of 4 and 5 for when it gets to -20F. Hasn’t happened in awhile but we had a stretch of that around 2017 or so.

As of last evening it’s been a steady increase in temps. Cold front moving out. Should be above freezing by the end of the day and I’ll be dropping it back to 1.

Got down to -16F overnight, up to a balmy +1F now. P43 kept the house at 69 on a constant burn all night. Will use 2 bags a day (noon Fri to noon tomorrow). Using some of the doug fir pellets, they really give the most heat.

sam

Reactions: ADK8258*
I’m always amazed on here when people say their stoves burn 12 to 14 hours. Then I look at their avatar and see where they live and find the average winter temperatures in the winter is in the 40’s.Temperatures in the 30’s and 40’s are easy wood burning temperatures. 20’s no problem. Single digits down into minus temperatures you have to be on it. A couple of weeks ago we had low single digit temps with 40 mile an hour winds. Stove couldn’t keep up. Next day same temperature with no wind and the stove handled it. Wind makes a difference. At least that’s how it works for me.
Sorry didn’t see this was pellet.

I think you are in the wrong thread, these are pellet stoves.

Y'all making me cold.

That is crazy!! It was in the 40's here in OH yesterday. Suppose to be 60 here tomorrow

Got down to -16F overnight, up to a balmy +1F now. P43 kept the house at 69 on a constant burn all night. Will use 2 bags a day (noon Fri to noon tomorrow). Using some of the doug fir pellets, they really give the most heat.

sam
How many bags/ ton do you all burn during a normal winter? I have had a quad Mt Vernon AE in my living room for 15-16 years . I am ready to go back to a wood stove. When I bought the quad, pellets were $100-120 a ton and I could also burn corn $90 ton. Now pellets are about $300 ton and corn has not been affordable since the disaster with the forced ethanol mandates. I don’t see these price increases stopping anytime soon. I have had great success with my quad compared to some, but the auto shutting down to clean itself makes it hard to keep the heat up when it gets below 10-15 degrees. I am ready to go back to a hotter more steady form of heat.