100% cast iron stove showing light orange surface rust...procedure to fix/polish?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonsered

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
Woodstock CT
Well my new (to me) stove does have some areas where some light surface rust is showing. I was wondering how I should go about taking care of this before I start burning it? Should I lightly wire brush the areas and then hit them with stove polish or is there a common way to take care of this with/without wire brush etc.

Please recommend method and materials!

Thanks,

Nate

Soft cloth and Rutland stove polish works fine for me, even with surface rust that I considered a step above minor.

I would make sure you go with the Rutland polish, though. I heard FirefighterJake used some relatively unknown brand of stove polish and it left a bit of a gross yellow film on his stove after the polish burned off.

I don't think you will need to use the wire brush, but if you really want to do some scrubbing I think a scotch brite pad with some water will take it off.

Thanks Pyro,

Is that stove polish common at local stores like Sears/Walmart/Tractor Supply?

Don't hit it hard with a wire brush as it will put a shine on it that will be hard to cover. Just a soft cloth to take of the loose rust and then stove polish. Test the stove stove polish on a spot in the back in case you don't like the look. Some brands of polish are more of a shiny gray than black.

LLigetfa said:
Don't hit it hard with a wire brush as it will put a shine on it that will be hard to cover.

I want to use stove polish on my VC next year when I rebuild it. I've read that you need to apply stove polish over bare iron since it won't work over paint. I was going to use a wire brush on an angle grinder to get all the old paint off. What should I do instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.