peakbagger Posted By peakbagger, Apr 4, 2019 at 2:14 PM

1. Dix

Dix
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I've been driving around in a 2002 Mitsu Lancer that I bought 6 years ago for $2000 with 130,000 on it.

6 years later, it's got 229,000 on it.

I've done one set of tires (4 years ago, almost time for another go round), an exhaust system, upper cat, tune up, brakes (twice, last time 1 month ago), radiator / heating hoses & thermo, and some other stuff.

35 MPG cannot get any better, for me. Scarlett is mine until she croaks ;)

*My other car is a 2005 F250 XLT* :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    the average mileage on our cars is 198.7K with an average age of 19....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AlbergSteve

AlbergSteve
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2017
    Loc:
    Vancouver Island
    We've had countless Civics and Tercels with over 300k here on the west coast. The killer in NS is the salt, sooo much salt! Last time I was home in the winter you couldn't tell where any of the lane markings were there was so much salt...

4. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Yes, lots of the stuff. Annual Rust Check or Krown sprays are the only decent defense.

5. gabenson

gabenson
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 31, 2018
    Loc:
    Ga
    My F150 has 158K on it and still runs great. It had a clattering cam phaser issue. I've changed the alternator, bearings in the axle, shocks and other components. I also replaced my 20 inch dually wheels with 18's. Nothing major. Regarding the underbody rust protection, I used Fluid Film. This stuff works great. It is just a bit messy to use.

6. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    How did you apply the fluid film? Why Dually wheels on a half ton?

bholler and Ashful like this.
  7. Sully1515

Sully1515
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 5, 2017
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    I currently drive a Subaru Crosstrek. Big fan of that car. Excellent gas mileage. Prior, I drove an '05 Ford Taurus. My job had me do a ton of traveling and now that I have a new job, I'm pretty much in one location. Glad to not commute as much anymore. My old Taurus, I had originally purchased with 10k miles. I was able to get 220k miles. Great car. Unfortunately, living in New Hampshire, our winters and roads are covered with quite a bit of salt during the winter months. The under carriage started to rust out, and we simply decided to trade in the car. Overall, a great car!

8. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    A friend of mine has a Taurus with a 3.0 Vulcan (not the DOHC Duratec) and it won't stop running. He uses it for work as well and puts thousands of miles on it every month. I'm a big fan of the Crosstrek in principle, but I wish Subaru had done a better job in the execution portion, specifically a little more power and a six speed manual. A WRX or STI version would be incredible, but unlikely. Even just the engine from the FR-Z86 (200 HP naturally aspirated) would be great with a six speed. A plug in hybrid or electric would get my attention as well. Still, after we build a garage one could end up in the stable since we already have a sporty car. What kind of milage do you get?

9. Sully1515

Sully1515
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 5, 2017
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    The Vulcan engine was a great product that Ford produced. Regarding the CrossTrek, yes, I agree. The car needs just a little more power. The trick is to simply not push the car. Let it get to speed and stay at that speed, especially on the highway. Granted, my commute now is more back roads, but, I'm averaging 32 to 36 MPG's. Of course, some people may get better mileage and some may get worse mileage, but, overall, for us, it's a great car.

SpaceBus likes this.
  10. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    A 1/2 ton dually?!? Never seen one of those...

fbelec and SpaceBus like this.
  11. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    Not bad fuel economy for an AWD hatch. I wager only the regular Impreza gets better mileage.