100K on the car

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've been driving around in a 2002 Mitsu Lancer that I bought 6 years ago for $2000 with 130,000 on it.

6 years later, it's got 229,000 on it.

I've done one set of tires (4 years ago, almost time for another go round), an exhaust system, upper cat, tune up, brakes (twice, last time 1 month ago), radiator / heating hoses & thermo, and some other stuff.

35 MPG cannot get any better, for me. Scarlett is mine until she croaks ;)

*My other car is a 2005 F250 XLT* :p

the average mileage on our cars is 198.7K with an average age of 19....

I wouldn't consider 100,000 'high mileage'. Might just be me.

Our 2006 Civic has 510,000 kms, our 2007 Pilot has 270,000 kms, and our 2017 Civic has around 80,000 kms. Regular oil changes (12,000km+/- interval) and tires when needed, plus the odd brake job.
We've had countless Civics and Tercels with over 300k here on the west coast. The killer in NS is the salt, sooo much salt! Last time I was home in the winter you couldn't tell where any of the lane markings were there was so much salt...

My F150 has 158K on it and still runs great. It had a clattering cam phaser issue. I've changed the alternator, bearings in the axle, shocks and other components. I also replaced my 20 inch dually wheels with 18's. Nothing major. Regarding the underbody rust protection, I used Fluid Film. This stuff works great. It is just a bit messy to use.

My F150 has 158K on it and still runs great. It had a clattering cam phaser issue. I've changed the alternator, bearings in the axle, shocks and other components. I also replaced my 20 inch dually wheels with 18's. Nothing major. Regarding the underbody rust protection, I used Fluid Film. This stuff works great. It is just a bit messy to use.
How did you apply the fluid film? Why Dually wheels on a half ton?

I currently drive a Subaru Crosstrek. Big fan of that car. Excellent gas mileage. Prior, I drove an '05 Ford Taurus. My job had me do a ton of traveling and now that I have a new job, I'm pretty much in one location. Glad to not commute as much anymore. My old Taurus, I had originally purchased with 10k miles. I was able to get 220k miles. Great car. Unfortunately, living in New Hampshire, our winters and roads are covered with quite a bit of salt during the winter months. The under carriage started to rust out, and we simply decided to trade in the car. Overall, a great car!

I currently drive a Subaru Crosstrek. Big fan of that car. Excellent gas mileage. Prior, I drove an '05 Ford Taurus. My job had me do a ton of traveling and now that I have a new job, I'm pretty much in one location. Glad to not commute as much anymore. My old Taurus, I had originally purchased with 10k miles. I was able to get 220k miles. Great car. Unfortunately, living in New Hampshire, our winters and roads are covered with quite a bit of salt during the winter months. The under carriage started to rust out, and we simply decided to trade in the car. Overall, a great car!

A friend of mine has a Taurus with a 3.0 Vulcan (not the DOHC Duratec) and it won't stop running. He uses it for work as well and puts thousands of miles on it every month. I'm a big fan of the Crosstrek in principle, but I wish Subaru had done a better job in the execution portion, specifically a little more power and a six speed manual. A WRX or STI version would be incredible, but unlikely. Even just the engine from the FR-Z86 (200 HP naturally aspirated) would be great with a six speed. A plug in hybrid or electric would get my attention as well. Still, after we build a garage one could end up in the stable since we already have a sporty car. What kind of milage do you get?

Reactions: firefighterjake
A friend of mine has a Taurus with a 3.0 Vulcan (not the DOHC Duratec) and it won't stop running. He uses it for work as well and puts thousands of miles on it every month. I'm a big fan of the Crosstrek in principle, but I wish Subaru had done a better job in the execution portion, specifically a little more power and a six speed manual. A WRX or STI version would be incredible, but unlikely. Even just the engine from the FR-Z86 (200 HP naturally aspirated) would be great with a six speed. A plug in hybrid or electric would get my attention as well. Still, after we build a garage one could end up in the stable since we already have a sporty car. What kind of milage do you get?

The Vulcan engine was a great product that Ford produced. Regarding the CrossTrek, yes, I agree. The car needs just a little more power. The trick is to simply not push the car. Let it get to speed and stay at that speed, especially on the highway. Granted, my commute now is more back roads, but, I'm averaging 32 to 36 MPG's. Of course, some people may get better mileage and some may get worse mileage, but, overall, for us, it's a great car.

Reactions: SpaceBus

A 1/2 ton dually?!? Never seen one of those...

The Vulcan engine was a great product that Ford produced. Regarding the CrossTrek, yes, I agree. The car needs just a little more power. The trick is to simply not push the car. Let it get to speed and stay at that speed, especially on the highway. Granted, my commute now is more back roads, but, I'm averaging 32 to 36 MPG's. Of course, some people may get better mileage and some may get worse mileage, but, overall, for us, it's a great car.

Not bad fuel economy for an AWD hatch. I wager only the regular Impreza gets better mileage.