10lb sledge stolen!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I helped a neighbor break up a piece of sidewalk tuesday, but we didn't finish. The sucker was 6" thick!

I left my sledge on his porch with a shovel over the head just incase it started to rain. I figured the shovel would protect it.

When I went back yesterday the shovel was there, but the sledge was missing! My neighbor has a broken ankle right now so he looked at me a little funny when I asked him if he had been using the sledge.

Somebody went up on his porch and took the sledge! Who would take a sledge? Most have no use for it.

Now, when I was using it tuesday, I noticed the head was starting to come loose. May it fall off and hit him. I'll settle for the head landing on his foot.

I think I know who did it. My neighbor is in a row with another neighbor who thinks he owes him money. If it is the person I think it is, I hope he doesn't swing it around his kid(s).

My neighbor went to buy me a new sledge last night, but they didn't have any 10lb hickory handled ones. He's going to look at a different store, I told him about grain orientation in the handle.

Matt and wondering what gets into people.

What an odd thing to swipe off someone's porch...especially odd that they left the shovel.

A 10lb sledge would make a good door breaker downer or car window smasher though...

I second your hope that the head pops off and breaks the guy's foot.

OTOH,

What if the guy swings, the head comes off and hits one of his kids and kills him/her? Then what? Would we still feel so good??

I think if you want to be a good person, you should go over there, mention that your sledge hamemr was stolen and warn them about it. Then also mention about the head being loose and that you hope it will hit the thief on the foot. Then mention that you hope the thief has no use for it, feels remorse and returns it.

That should be plenty warning and hopefully you will get your sledge back.

Carpniels

Sounds more like something a kid would do. You know, they see some cartoon with a guy wielding a sledge hammer, and figure it might be fun to try. I agree with carpniels--get the word out that yours is missing, and it might find its way back home pretty quick.

Reminds me of when my son was probably 13 or 14. One summer day, on my way out the door to go to work, I handed him a sledge hammer, a pair of safety goggles and showed him how to attack some concrete steps we were trying to get rid of. When I came home for lunch, the kid was nowhere to be seen, and the sledge head was busted off the handle. He learned an important lesson that day: If you destroy the means of production, production stops. And I learned an important lesson as well: don't send some wise-ass kid out to do a man's job. At least not if you value your tools and you want to see some progress.

Between karl's stolen chainsaw and this sledge I have learned a lesson. No tools on the porch! They grow legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.