11 Year old Napoleon 1402

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nbarr7655

Nov 24, 2020
Michigan
Hello all! I was browsing the local Facebook marketplace last night and came across someone selling an 11 year old Napoleon 1402. He said that everything works as it should and he is including a chimney liner. He is asking $700 for it but I imagine I can get this down a bit.

My questions are: Is this a good deal? Should I take the liner with this or buy a new one? Or do I ask the last time it was cleaned and go from there?

Here is a picture:
1606932762025.png

The 1402 is a decent insert. Whether this is a good value or not will depend on how well it was treated. Inspect the baffle boards for holes and/or cracks and the secondary rack for cracks or sagging. The blower may be due for replacement.
As for the liner, I'd be inclined to pass on that and install new unless it is a heavy duty liner in good condition. Even then you will want it to be as long or longer than what you will require for your installation.

The 1402 is a decent insert. Whether this is a good value or not will depend on how well it was treated. Inspect the baffle boards for holes and/or cracks and the secondary rack for cracks or sagging. The blower may be due for replacement.
As for the liner, I'd be inclined to pass on that and install new unless it is a heavy duty liner in good condition. Even then you will want it to be as long or longer than what you will require for your installation.
Thank you! :) I had the same thoughts regarding the liner. At this point we are considering just opting for a new unit as the cost will be more but hey, brand new versus 11 years old.

At $500 it could be a good deal if not abused. Why are they selling it?

If it will fit, a Drolet Escape 1800i is a good value. The firebox is not square like the Napoleon, but it is a good heater. If you want a similar square firebox in that size, Napoleon S20i is their current model. Also, the True North TN20 insert and the Pacific Energy Super have 2 cu ft square fireboxes.

I have the 1401 nearly Identical. I love mine makes lots of heat very easy to use and the blowers push lots of air. I can tell you a few things to check naturally to obvious check the fire box for cracks. The secondary air tube is removable and has a gasket try to check around that you may want to replace it anyway if you purchase it. I would check the door hinges thy seem to wear on that unit so you have to lift the door to close it. There should be 2 vermiculite baffles on top check them for damage some pitting is normal, The blowers are fairly expensive on this unit and they run 2 different directions. You can check them by jumping out the thermal disk behind the right hand cover. The manufacturer tag with the date will be behind one of them. The bricks are no big deal they are no big deal they are normal 9x4.5 fire bricks a few do need to be cut but that can be done with a tile saw or diamond wheel and grinder. Also depending on your they are a little hard to connect the chimney too it since it doesn't slide all the way I, I had to lean my back connect the liner then slide back. I would say at max $500 mine was 16 years old and I got it for $50 with out trim. I have seen them used priced between $500 and $1500 regularly a local shop had one closed out last fall new for $1500.