$1100 for 25 feet of 6 inch Class A Duravent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I came across this website while searching for a ballpark price on Class A stainless chimney pipe. They have an estimator which told me that materials cost for a 25' (1st floor ceiling to 2' above ridgeline of roof) Class A double wall stainless steel duravent chimney would be about $1100. Does that seem about accurate? They included flashing, storm collar, etc... Again, I am calculating for the part of the chimney which will run in a chase starting where the pipe enters the first floor ceiling, continuing through the second floor, attic, and up through the roof to a point 2 feet above the ridgeline. Am I correct in assuming that I can run single wall black carbon steel stovepipe from the outlet of the stove to the ceiling itself? So far my cost breakdown is as follows:

- $1000-1200 - Cost of stove
- $1100-1300 - Cost of chimney
- $1000-1200 - Cost of brick veneer (installed $15-16 per square foot)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Low estimate = $3100, High estimate = $3700

Please note that this assumes I perform all of the work save for installing the brick veneer, and it negates the cost of the chase itself, since that's been factored into the framing of the house. Am I on the right track?

I'm not very good at running estimates, however, nothing there seems out of place to me. I have a similar situation at our house and I think we spent around that much to install our set up. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in soon enough.

George

useing galvanized class A through the 2nd floor and attic will save some money then switch to stainless at the roofline.
My install
Stove 2000
double wall connector pipe, fittings etc 900
simpson class a triple wall chiminey 12', flashing, storm collar, cap 1000
so to me that doesnt sound that outta line

Thats not a bad price.
I ran their double wall rigid for my insert liner, also used 5' of their flex at bottom, cap, storm collar, stove adapter. All plus shipping cost me $1,080.00
So your in the ball park. I agree with Nshif that you would save a good amount running the galvalume outer shell pipe up to the roof line then full S.S. outside the roof line.

It is not unusual for the chimney to cost more than the stove. And prices vary regionally. But it sounds like a good price for Duratech. Are you sure it is SS outer casing? Yes, you can use Galvalume on the inside pipe. But be sure to have a properly ventilated chase and an inspection panel. I have seen the outer casings deteriorate badly even on the interior of the building. Many people chose to go SS all the way to avoid future problems.

The price for veneer stone work is more than double in my area. As I mentioned, prices vary regionally. And you may get better pricing if you are simply adding on to a building project that is already under way and a mason is already on site.

Sean

Brick veneer cost can depend on the bricks chosen one can choose water struck tapestry bricks and increase the cost quite a bit

then there is the exposure whether you expose the 2/8 side or the 4/8 side 4/8 side eliminates 1/2 the required bricks needed

The standard 2/8 brick exposure requires 9 bricks per sq ft not factoring in mortar joints possibly 8 with motar

I agree with Sean that price quote seems to high

Status
Not open for further replies.