12 inch tile flue what size brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
called local fireplace stove store to ask if they had a 12 inch brush. the owner lady said in her long experience to use a 8 inch square brush.... Also that lady said to just go corner to corner to clean the chimney.Using those rods attached so like 2 story.
SO we bought an 8 inch square brush from local little hdwe. store.
well Hubby tried yesterday couldnt do much hard to control. Fireplace is in basement. Called hwe. store before they closed. The hdwe store guy said 8 inch brush was the biggest he carried.
So should I order a 12 square brush???? advice. Had a so called "chimney sweep guy" clean when we bought this blankey blank place but that was before we had instlled a metal roof. I remember the chimney sweep guy said back in 2013 ....NO METAL roofs.. would he do !!!!! also that guy had one of those big "mop looking one" chimney cleaning brush. Plus I dont remeber what else.
Other homes we lived in and owned had 8 inch or 6 inch stainless steel stovepipes.... HUBBY More used to do those,
thoughts yall ??? thanks yall

Well i am sorry but you need a different sweep if he wont do metal roofs. But yes you need a 12" square brush. And honestly almost all fireplaces we clean we clean from the bottom. We typically use a rotary cleaning tool on a drill and feed up from the bottom. then clean off the smoke shelf.

Well i am sorry but you need a different sweep if he wont do metal roofs. But yes you need a 12" square brush. And honestly almost all fireplaces we clean we clean from the bottom. We typically use a rotary cleaning tool on a drill and feed up from the bottom. then clean off the smoke shelf.

ordered one but its on backorder but Hubby said okay for now since we use the outside forest eater yall call it...
just wish it was further away from house he even adde another section to that Hardy chimney.... just wish the smoke woud not blow toward us or my feathered girls.......thanks

After years of attempting to decipher what Pook used to write I think I might be able to take a stab at this translation.

ordered one but its on backorder but Hubby said okay for now since we use the outside forest eater yall call it... I have ordered a square chimney brush as you mentioned in your post, but the store I have ordered it from has it on back order. Fortunately my husband has another method/tool to clean the chimney.

just wish it was further away from house he even adde another section to that Hardy chimney.... just wish the smoke woud not blow toward us or my feathered girls.......thanks Since sweeping it can be so messy I sometimes wish the chimney was not so close to the house since the creosote/fly ash gets all over the house. The smoke can be pretty bad as well, despite my husband adding another section of Class A. The smoke continues to stay pretty low to the ground though and often blows towards us and our chickens.

Reactions: Supersurvey
After years of attempting to decipher what Pook used to write I think I might be able to take a stab at this translation.

ordered one but its on backorder but Hubby said okay for now since we use the outside forest eater yall call it... I have ordered a square chimney brush as you mentioned in your post, but the store I have ordered it from has it on back order. Fortunately my husband has another method/tool to clean the chimney.

just wish it was further away from house he even adde another section to that Hardy chimney.... just wish the smoke woud not blow toward us or my feathered girls.......thanks Since sweeping it can be so messy I sometimes wish the chimney was not so close to the house since the creosote/fly ash gets all over the house. The smoke can be pretty bad as well, despite my husband adding another section of Class A. The smoke continues to stay pretty low to the ground though and often blows towards us and our chickens.
ordered one but its on backorder but Hubby said okay for now since we use the outside forest eater yall call it...
just wish it was further away from house he even adde another section to that Hardy chimney.... just wish the smoke woud not blow toward us or my feathered girls.......thanks

outside forest eater :
upload_2016-1-13_9-10-2.jpeg
Just a guess!

Reactions: Supersurvey
Status
Not open for further replies.