16:1 fuel/oil mix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When that saw was made oil was a completely different animal. 2 stroke oils have changed - they are now better. You could up the ratio if you wanted to.

My Super XLAO calls for 16:1. I run it at 32:1 using a modern oil and it has been running like that for about a decade. I remember my dad cursing at that saw every time we were out to cut wood. Wouldn't idle, hard to Start, fouled plugs. Two things were wrong.. first he never adjusted the mixture screws. Second, I think, was the heavy oil mix.

My Super XLAO calls for 16:1. I run it at 32:1 using a modern oil and it has been running like that for about a decade. I remember my dad cursing at that saw every time we were out to cut wood. Wouldn't idle, hard to Start, fouled plugs. Two things were wrong.. first he never adjusted the mixture screws. Second, I think, was the heavy oil mix.
Sounds like my poulan. Will adjust to 32;1, but i never liked that saw. Too much vibration. Carpal tunnel city. It only gets run a few times a year at most.

My Partner R17 from the early 70’s used a 25 to 1 mix. Cleaned the plug much more often than with today’s saws.

Some really old vintage two stroke engines don't have proper crank seals. Instead they use wide plain bearings. The small gap filled with oil provides the seal. Those engines need a lot of oil to maintain that seal. For the rest, a rich oil mix like 16:1 was assuming that the oil would be super cheap mineral 30wt. Not modern two stroke oil. For engines with real crank seals I run modern synthetic oil with a more modern mix ratio.

I think i may be wrong, my poulan is very similar to the poulan 2000. That's 40:1. I think my old home light weed wacker is 16:1. no that's 50:1. Maybe it's the moped? from the late 70's.

Nope was right the early 80's poulan was 16:1. That was starting to make me a bit crazy. That saw is in utah so i can't go out to check it. But yeah will switch it to 32:1 or 40:1 with the new oil.

Last edited: