16" or 19"?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
If a cord is 48" wide and your stove takes 19" splits and you need to stack your wood by the cord size(4-4-8) what do you do?? do you cut it at 16" or guess at 19" long splits's???

I would like to know the amount of wood i burn for future reference.how do you know what you burned by cutting and using 19"s.

you could always, if you want to go really nuts. Figure out your cords by inches and not feet.

so....here it goes.

4x4x8 = 48x48x96 = 221,184 cubic inches

so if you have 19 inch splits you just multiply your rows by that number.

Example:

you have 19 inch splits - two rows of them (38 inches) stacked 32 feet long (384 inches) stacked 6 feet high (72 inches)

38x384x72 = 1,050,624 cubic inches

1,050,624/221,184 (to find your total wood in cordage - now that is a great word - cordage) = 4.75 cords.

Hope that helps. There may be better ways, but this is sure fun to do and think of when you burn your 6 cords that you are burning 1,327,104 cubic inches.

Hey there, i would suggest that even if your stove holds 19" splits I would still cut them to 16". I bought a stove that holds 20 " sticks and cut 8 cord to 20" I wish I had cut them to 16 for ease of handling and I believe in my situation it would have held the wood better at 16" my $.02

just buck at 16". trust me, even if your stove takes 19". You may find that you want to load it N/S rather than E/W. and My guess is that if you do 19" splits wont fit!

Johnny, it makes no difference what length your wood is cut. A cord of wood is still 128 cu. ft. So just figure the size of your pile and multiply it out and divide by 128.

I cut mine close to 16". Especially if loading north to south, you want it a couple inches away from the glass to keep the glass clean.

I cut it undersized to 16". Gives you more options for configuring the fire.

16"s it is if i get a stove that takes 19"s or less(more Question's if the stove i get takes longer wood). thank you for understanding my Question.I really need to know what i'm using like i do with pellets.

JW

Backwoods Savage said:
Johnny, it makes no difference what length your wood is cut. A cord of wood is still 128 cu. ft. So just figure the size of your pile and multiply it out and divide by 128.

Your the smartest"backwoods guy" i know. I'm going to try your way Sunday!.play with it i will.

JW

BeGreen said:

Totally agree with this.. Actually my last load of maple was delivered 12", by mistake, but that is fine with me. Just like BG says, more options for loading.

That wood that ya have to stuff in there corner to corner is much less controlable and burns way to quick.

sonnyinbc said:
BeGreen said:

Totally agree with this.. Actually my last load of maple was delivered 12", by mistake, but that is fine with me. Just like BG says, more options for loading.

That wood that ya have to stuff in there corner to corner is much less controlable and burns way to quick.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.