1600C-1 woodburner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thomas Maxwell

Jul 5, 2020
Florida
I have had a Intertek 1600C-1 free standing stove for 12 years. In recent years the draft has declined and is sometimes (in calm winds) hard to start. I thought maybe the trees around the house were growing up and creating wind downdrafts or some other condition around the chimney that prevents good draft. I scrubb the chimney on odd years. Once the fire is established, the air throttle control does work- to a degree. But at startup-by opening the ash bin door a tiny crack- boom- the fire starts right up as fresh air enters the combustion chamber. Has any anyone heard that the air throttle openings on the 1600C-1 are simply not large enough and work ok when draft is perfect but are insufficient under anything except perfect draft. Has the throttle plate on the 1600C-1 ever been a question before? Have any recalls been published on the 1600C?

Welcome! I'm not familiar with the stove or brand that you mentioned. I'm familiar with Intertek being a testing company and not a stove manufacturer. Can you find "Enviro" written anywhere on stove or manual?

I have had a Intertek 1600C-1 free standing stove for 12 years. In recent years the draft has declined and is sometimes (in calm winds) hard to start. I thought maybe the trees around the house were growing up and creating wind downdrafts or some other condition around the chimney that prevents good draft. I scrubb the chimney on odd years. Once the fire is established, the air throttle control does work- to a degree. But at startup-by opening the ash bin door a tiny crack- boom- the fire starts right up as fresh air enters the combustion chamber. Has any anyone heard that the air throttle openings on the 1600C-1 are simply not large enough and work ok when draft is perfect but are insufficient under anything except perfect draft. Has the throttle plate on the 1600C-1 ever been a question before? Have any recalls been published on the 1600C?
Intertek is the company that has the stove tested. The brand is most likely Napoleon.

Yes, the 1600C was a Napoleon model. Is this a cast iron stove with a diamond hatch pattern on the sides and top? Check the flue cap screen for plugging if there is one. And also remove the stove pipe and make sure that debris has not accumulated on top of the baffle, restricting draft.

Last edited:
Yes, the 1600C was a Napoleon model. Is this a cast iron stove with a diamond hatch pattern on the sides and top? Check the flue cap screen for plugging if there is one. And also remove the stove pipe and make sure that debris has not accumulated on top of the baffle, restricting draft.
You're right- it is a Napoleon. After scrubbing the stack I remove the stove top and clear out the fallen debris at the stack opening atop the flow baffle. In the 1600C-1 design, the stack doesn't fall straight into the baffle top. There is slight offset such that debris can pile up. But that doesn't explain why opening the ash bin door a crack works so well for starting up. I only burn about 400 hours annual here in north Florida so suet ash build up is not so bad. Once the fire is started, the air throttle works most times. Here is a link to the parts manual showing components. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/109199/Napoleon-1600c-1.html?page=14#manual

You're right- it is a Napoleon. After scrubbing the stack I remove the stove top and clear out the fallen debris at the stack opening atop the flow baffle. In the 1600C-1 design, the stack doesn't fall straight into the baffle top. There is slight offset such that debris can pile up. But that doesn't explain why opening the ash bin door a crack works so well for starting up. I only burn about 400 hours annual here in north Florida so suet ash build up is not so bad. Once the fire is started, the air throttle works most times. Here is a link to the parts manual showing components. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/109199/Napoleon-1600c-1.html?page=14#manual
The air control is not the issue. Most likely it is either weak draft due to mild outside temperatures or wood that is not fully seasoned. Note that using the ashpan door to supply air can crack the base of the stove around the grate $$$. Leave the stove door ajar instead and try top down lighting.

Reactions: Sailrmike
The air control is not the issue. Most likely it is either weak draft due to mild outside temperatures or wood that is not fully seasoned. Note that using the ashpan door to supply air can crack the base of the stove around the grate $$$. Leave the stove door ajar instead and try top down lighting.
Yes I'll keep that in mind. Better quality wood may be the answer. Recently I've been burning most everything except pine. The little Napolean, once it gets hot, will burn most anything. Very low ash.

Draft depends on the differential between outdoor and indoor temps and chimney height. If the chimney is one story and outdoor temps are in the 50s. Draft can be weak.