180 ears of corn? No problem!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have much left after the coons had their feast. I'll have a bunch more ready next week, if I can beat them to it. Never had a problem before, but they're getting zapped next year.

He builds a classic wheelbarrow out of a rusty hoop of metal.
He can build a stone chimney with rocks found in his driveway.
He blanches enough corn to feed a small village in Bolivia for eight months.
When he makes maple syrup the trees practically weep in delight.

Scotty Overkill . . . the world's most interesting man.
LMFAO.....
That's funny Jake!!

"I don't always go on the internet......... but when I do, I prefer Hearth.com"

I don't have much left after the coons had their feast. I'll have a bunch more ready next week, if I can beat them to it. Never had a problem before, but they're getting zapped next year.
That is EXACTLY why this boy right here did NOT do a garden AT ALL this year. Man the coons have exploded around here. My uncle killed 9 last summer, this summer he's killed over 11 groundhogs....I killed one just last week.

Those damm coons will tear down a stalk of corn, take two bites out of each ear on the stalk, move to the next stalk and repeat.....till the whole corn patch is toast.

I can't stand those masked basturdz.....

Oh no. They pulled the ears off the stalk, peeled the husk back, and ate every kernel. Looked like a human stood out there and did it. At least they weren't wasting it.

Yeah... but you get cooler stuff done.

My yesterday, but typical of any day:

6:30am - 7:30am: getting myself and kid ready for school / work
8am - 5pm: work (and surfing hearth.com while waiting on computer simulations)
5:30pm - 6pm: dinner
6pm - 8pm: mowing lawn
8pm - 8:30pm: getting kid ready for bed while mom cleans up from dinner
8:30pm - 10:30pm: sanding and re-staining a 240 year old floor
10:30 - 11:30pm: shower, check email, download photos from recent mini-cation to beach with kid

lather, rinse, repeat...

Sounds very familiar :(

5:50 am - get up for work
6:50 am - arrive at work, on conference calls with India by 7:30am
rest of the day - work punctuated by conference calls with various other offices here and abroad
4:30~5 pm - home from work, spend an hour playing with the twins :)
6pm dinner
6:30pm bath time for the kids
7:30pm bed time for the kids
8:30pm if the kids are acting up we just finished putting them back into their cribs for the 4th time
8:30-9pm - spend a half hour in the garage grinding old gasket cement off the Encore interior panels so I can hope to put it back together before October
9pm - listen to the Mrs remind me we never spend any quality time without the kids
9pm-10pm get back on the phone for work to do conference calls with China
10pm think about all the old house projects I haven't even started on, including the front windows where the glass is about to fall out
10:30pm fall asleep exhausted having done nothing on said house projects

Sounds very familiar :(

5:50 am - get up for work
6:50 am - arrive at work, on conference calls with India by 7:30am
rest of the day - work punctuated by conference calls with various other offices here and abroad
4:30~5 pm - home from work, spend an hour playing with the twins :)
6pm dinner
6:30pm bath time for the kids
7:30pm bed time for the kids
8:30pm if the kids are acting up we just finished putting them back into their cribs for the 4th time
8:30-9pm - spend a half hour in the garage grinding old gasket cement off the Encore interior panels so I can hope to put it back together before October
9pm - listen to the Mrs remind me we never spend any quality time without the kids
9pm-10pm get back on the phone for work to do conference calls with China
10pm think about all the old house projects I haven't even started on, including the front windows where the glass is about to fall out
10:30pm fall asleep exhausted having done nothing on said house projects
You deserve a beer or two in there somewhere, Jeremy!!

sounds like my life (no conference calls, but workin' on the railroad instead).......Been there, bro. Get some rest and make some time for yourself and Mrs. Harkin.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
He builds a classic wheelbarrow out of a rusty hoop of metal.
He can build a stone chimney with rocks found in his driveway.
He blanches enough corn to feed a small village in Bolivia for eight months.
When he makes maple syrup the trees practically weep in delight.

Scotty Overkill . . . the world's most interesting man.
And, he can leap tall buildings in a single bound!

You deserve a beer or two in there somewhere, Jeremy!!

sounds like my life (no conference calls, but workin' on the railroad instead).......Been there, bro. Get some rest and make some time for yourself and Mrs. Harkin.....

But your job sounds more fun my friend, and I mean that seriously, not sarcasticly. :) If get asked to move to management just say no. I didn't and now I'm stuck. I miss technical work... ;)

I just happened to be enjoying a couple nice hooegartens while I wrote that ( really need them right now, trying to potty train 2 kids at once right now!!) And this weekend my MIL is coming to give us a hand and I'll get a day pass to go to the airfield Sunday. So life isn't that bad.

Reactions: ScotO
But your job sounds more fun my friend, and I mean that seriously, not sarcasticly. :) If get asked to move to management just say no. I didn't and now I'm stuck. I miss technical work... ;)

I just happened to be enjoying a couple nice hooegartens while I wrote that ( really need them right now, trying to potty train 2 kids at once right now!!) And this weekend my MIL is coming to give us a hand and I'll get a day pass to go to the airfield Sunday. So life isn't that bad.
I've had the opportunity to advance over the years several times.....I say no way....I enjoy wrenching and troubleshooting those big locomotives. Also love the comraderie of the guys working the shops...we have a good group of guys.

It was a busy week here too with the sweet corn. However, we do things a bit different. We quit blanching corn many, many years ago and think the corn tastes better this way. Faster to put up too. I love sitting down and watching my wife do it all.....

As for the critters, we've killed 25 or 26 coon so far this year and they still made a mess of our corn patch. However, I think some was done by possom and we've got rid of several of them this year too. Trouble with those critters is they don't have just one offspring at a time so they multiply fast. Then if we count all the coon that city dwellers bring out here in the country where "they won't do any harm" and it is a mess.

As for those corn cobs that were stripped clean, that is usually the work of possom rather than coon.

Here are a couple looks at our corn patch. Even got the ornery one in the second picture. She was picking raspberries at the time. There were 17 rows with 90' per row of corn there. Yes, we've eaten a lot but so have the critters:

Sweet corn-2.JPG Judy in berries-2.JPG

Reactions: jeff_t
As for those corn cobs that were stripped clean, that is usually the work of possom rather than coon.

Never thought about that. I was trying to think of what would have the dexterity, and raccoon came to mind first. Didn't see any tracks. I should have taken a picture of the aftermath.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.